Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Lucid Nightmares RP  (Read 8597 times)

Miss Lucy

Lucid Nightmares RP
« on: October 12, 2011, 12:26:46 PM »

When most people wake up, they forget their dreams. If they remember, it might not always make sense. A few people, however, can realize from the start or the middle of their dreams, that the world around them isn't real, that it only exists in their mind. Like in the movie Inception, a combination of will and imagination can even let them have special powers in their dream. These are the lucid dreamers.

Unfortunately, the realization that gives them these nighttime gifts in the first place, is wrong. There is something strange going on in the dreamlands, and it's happening to all your characters. At least in the dreamlands, dreams are becoming a reality... and so are nightmares.

It might help to brush up on your Greek mythology, but it's not necessary. We'll start when we have five people. Character card:

Name:
Waking Life: What is your character's history? Appearance? Does s/he have any favorite routines, fandoms, or hobbies? How does s/he interact with the people around him/her?
Dream Power: Start with just one for now. These are the powers that other characters already have: empathy; control elements (includes fire, earth, water, air); shapeshift (living creatures or parts of living creatures only); ghosting (includes flight, intangibility, and invisibility); control light.

The story so far:

THE FIRST DREAM

The realm of dreams is ruled by three brothers. High King Morpheus, who organizes the memories of the dreamers; King Phantasos, who gives them fantastic and inspirational dreams; and King Phoebetor, of Nightmares.

One night, nightmares attack a library on the border of the memory-fantasy realms. Luckily, some of the browsers were lucid dreamers. Mac Adams used flight and shapeshifting to battle them, Aurora Van Helsing used her empathy to tame them, and two more lucid dreamers managed to escape.

While elemental adept Bree Dunstan makes her own peaceful, meadow-like dream area, Vladislava Novikov found herself out of the frying pan and into the fire. She escaped right up to the broken gate of the nightmare realm, where this monstrous giant spider - human hybrid was trying to recruit Damon Invidia. The spider-woman Arachne would let nobody get in her way, and accused Vladi of stealing a shadow-relic. Luckily, Vladi knows how to get out of everybody's way, and she made herself invisible and intangible.

As Damon negotiated the terms of his place in the war, expressing his dislike of nightmares while showing his great skill at manipulating light, Arachne insisted that Phoebetor was the victim of an unprovoked attack by his brothers. It was over mere symbols of their sovereignty, the dream gates. Morpheus' realm was kept in order by the Gates Of Horn, Phantasos' by the Gates of Ivory, and Phoebetor attempted to make his own gates-- the Gates of Reflection, which the two others tore down as soon as Phoebe set it up. Poor guy.

When Damon insisted upon speaking to Phoebetor before choosing his side in the war, Arachne revealed that Phoebetor was making alliances with the underworld.

Upon waking, the dreamers discover that a strange sleeping illness has swept the globe. Could this have something to do with the attack on the library in the dream world? Meanwhile, Vladi paints her dreams and uploads it to an art website. Damon, between researching what he dreamed, browses the art website and makes a waking-life connection with Vladi.

THE SECOND DREAM

The lucid dreamers meet at the court of King Phantasos, including Damon. Vladi reminds him to get all the other lucid dreamers' waking life contact information, and they all learn about each others' powers.

A theo-political ally of Phantasos, named Panacea, reports that the dream's Red Cross center during wartime has had their High Priestess poisoned. As the Aesclepeion (name of the center) is on a floating island that Psyche (name of the priestess) never leaves, the poisoner must have been at least one of five suspects.

The dreamers are tasked to figure out which one it is. They take Phantasos' air ship, called the Fantasy, to the floating island.

PANACEA'S TESTIMONY

Psyche was a mortal woman who was so beautiful that even the goddess of love envied her. Aphrodite, the love goddess, sent her son Eros to make Psyche fall in love with somebody ugly. Instead, Eros courted and married Psyche. Psyche's relationship with her mother-in-law remained strained, and with Eros still having godlike duties to execute and barely coming home to see her, Psyche badly needed somewhere else to be.

When the dream wars broke out, she volunteered at the Aesclepeion, where she told my sister Hygieia all this. Psyche's loving, kind, caring nature made her an obvious choice for High Priestess.

I received a summons earlier tonight by the gatekeeper, Hypnos. When I came to the Aesclepeion, I found Psyche in the throes of what I diagnosed and treated as Gorgon poison. This diagnosis was made purely by my faultless intuition, as the goddess of healing poisons-- Psyche herself did not exhibit any stony flesh that I could see upon examination, nor did the strands of her hair come to life as serpents, nor were there any needle traces.

After making certain that Psyche can be sure to have never left the Aesclepeion, I called in everyone who could have been in contact with her, sealed the Aesclepeion, and then sealed the island until an investigation could be done.

PANACEA'S FORENSICS

Blood from the right side of a Gorgon is a most powerful healing elixir, as is contained in the vial the the wisdom-goddess Athena gave to my father, Aesclepius, for whom these temples are named. My father distributed some to his daughters: Hygieia, the eldest, and the one who should really be here taking the trouble to solve this case; myself; and our youngest sister, Iaso. With my share of Gorgon's blood, I was able to remedy the worst effects of the poison, but Psyche still remains too ill to testify. This is unusual, as I mentioned the strength of Gorgon blood used for healing. Then again, blood from the left side of a Gorgon is a most powerful poison.

Upon injection, the first symptom is exhaustion, tremors, and seizure.
Upon inhalation, it gives the victim's voice an eerie harmony.
Upon ingestion, or dropped into the eyes or ear canal, it turns the hair into snakes.
Upon contact with skin, it turns the skin to stone.

Any exposure produces symptoms in that order, except for when the specified method of exposure changes the first symptom. If untreated, the victim eventually dies and comes back to life as a Gorgon.

Other remedies for poisonous Gorgon's blood include:
- golden fleece
- water from the river Styx, but this is a very painful remedy
- nectar or ambrosia
- unicorn hair
- unicorn horn, preferably ground

THE SUSPECTS

NAMEPROFILE/TESTIMONYEVIDENCE
EndymionA paramour of the Greek moon goddess, whatever name she takes. High Priest of the Aesclepeion, and has duties to stay on the floating island. The moon goddess gifted him with a shadow-relic, which Endymion misplaced. He argued with Psyche when she discovered that he had lost it.none yet
HebeCupbearer to the Olympian gods. As Aesclepeion medic, Hebe goes out of the temple to heal whoever's been wounded on the battlefield. The goddess Aphrodite, mother-in-law to Psyche, promised Hebe that a mortal's love would be made requited. This came under one condition: that Hebe give Psyche a poisoned dress to wear. Hebe said that she heard Eos arguing with Psyche.none yet
GanymedeA consort of Zeus, and close friends with Hebe because they were both cupbearers on Olympus. As medic of the Aesclepeion, Ganymede goes out of the temple to heal whoever's been wounded on the battlefield. No testimony yet.none yet
HypnosHe opens the gates to the dream kingdoms when people sleep, and closes it before they wake. He also assists everybody at the Aesclepeion with their duties, Psyche included. No testimony yet.none yet
EosShe closes the gates to the waking world when people sleep, and opens it again so that they have the urge to wake up. As gatekeeper, she spends a lot of time with Hypnos, but has no obligation to the Aesclepeion. Witnesses saw her take her flying chariot driver's test earlier that day. According to Hebe, Eos argued with Psyche right before Psyche had her poisoning seizure.skin on palm of suspect's right hand had turned to stone

Map of the Aesclepeion available on page 17.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:56:57 AM by Miss Lucy »

pageinbooks

• Greetings and Hallucinations!
Re: Nightmares RP
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 12:57:48 PM »

Sounds interesting. . . but I have never seen Inception. Is that important?
If there was a phobia about a large, unstable stack of books falling and crushing you in your sleep, I would have that.
Except it wouldn't be irrational.

Miss Lucy

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 02:40:12 PM »

Nope, watching Inception isn't necessary, either. :D It's even less necessary than being a Greek mythology geek, since I changed some things in the myths I'm using, while most stuff unique to Inception doesn't really come in at all.

deryn sharpie

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »

ooooh! sounds quite intriging!
Name: Aurora (rory)
Nationality: irsh/german/korean/chineseish
Waking Life:  red hair, silver eyes, straight-A student, loves to read, super skinny
Dream Power: (For example: shapeshifting, flight, invisibility, control fire. Start with just one for now.) can see energy connecting people, and can manipulate it to do stuff. (anyone read eon?)

Miss Lucy

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:22:08 PM »

Yay! First charrie!

One modification: Your dream power. Let's call it empathy, even though it includes thoughts as well as emotions. Nobody else sees the color and movement of the energy, only you can. The dreams won't know that you're manipulating their energy unless you tell them, but other lucid dreamers will sense if a thought or emotion is not theirs (they won't know it's you, unless you put your own energy into the energy that you're manipulating.) Limits are:

- it's not a power that you have all the time.
- you only have it when you focus on having it, and/or
- if there is a very strong emotion and/or
- if another character IS THINKING VERY LOUDLY
- finally, the further away the target is, the weaker your senses. 

Does that sound okay? Later Aurora can become telepathic, so distance in the dreamworld won't matter to her.

And just to clarify, is the nationality her bloodline or where she grew up? (So does she have an Irish-German parent, Korean parent, and she lives/studies in China? Or something else?)

deryn sharpie

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »

yay! sounds awesome! "empathy empathey put your self in the place of me!" from avdt of course!

ok here goes:
her father is german/irish, and her mother is korean/chinese, they live in germany.

Miss Lucy

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »

Bump

deryn sharpie

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »

ahhhhh..... *falls off of wimpy 4ft high cliff,*    ~ooof!~

sora22

• The Rave
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »

*Might I join, please?*
Are you ready for a revolution? Ask me about the Rave.

Miss Lucy

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »

Of course you can! Please do :)

alekmakeshappiness

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 06:32:11 AM »

Name: Mac Adams
Nationality: Scottish, Canadian French.
Waking Life: tall, skinny but not muscular.  Blond hair, freckles. Brown eyes.  Collects coins sand flysmodel airplanes.
Dream power: shapeshifting.

nerd_herd

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 07:09:56 AM »

Name:Bree Dunstan
Nationality:she is from Ireland and moved to Brooklyn when she was 8
Waking Life: Bright red hair, freckles, violet eyes. She is skinny and short.  Always wearing headphones.  She likes to be by herself. She roller skates.
Dream Power: shape shifting

sora22

• The Rave
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 07:48:54 AM »

Name: Damon Invidia
Nationality: British
Waking Life: Tall and very slim, short messy black hair, blue eyes, plays guitar, has a tattoo of a bat on his neck, and is almost always listening to his iPod. His favourite bands are Kitsune^2, Scooter, and Rise Against. Collects round purple objects and Victorian-style keys.
Dream Power: Can control and conjure darkness and shadows
Are you ready for a revolution? Ask me about the Rave.

alekmakeshappiness

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 08:02:50 AM »

interesting hobbie.

deryn sharpie

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »

but i like keys! that seems cool~!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18