Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Winged Muses RP  (Read 7292 times)

Miss Lucy

Winged Muses RP
« on: October 29, 2011, 04:39:01 AM »

This is a sort of timeskip from the Lucid Nightmares RP. 3 out of the 5 players we started with had to drop it, so WELCOME, NEW PLAYERS! You can play a lucid dreamer, a muse, or a half-cyclopes (which, in this RP, is closer to a vampire than they are to the big bad giants of Greek legend.)

The story so far:

The Greek gods of the dreamworld are at war with one another. King Morpheus (of memory) and King Phantasos (of creativity) banded together against King Phobetor (of nightmares.) Their powers come from special gates: Morpheus had gates of horn, and Phantasos had gates of ivory. Phobetor was building the gates of reflections, and the other two feared that their brother was stepping up his game in some arms race. They tore it down. The nightmares have been irrepressible ever since, and the mortal world is beginning to notice.

A plague of encephalitis lethargica has swept the waking world, because of the battles in the realms of dreams. The only ones immune to it, are those rare people who are able to take their waking memories and logic with them through unconsciousness, when most other people forget. This awareness allows them to have superpowers in their dreams, too. These are the lucid dreamers.

Character cards for muses and cyclopes will follow shortly. The character card for a lucid dreamer follows:

Name:
Waking Life: What is your character's history? Appearance? Does s/he have any favorite routines, fandoms, or hobbies? How does s/he interact with the people around him/her?
Dream Power: Start with just one for now.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:14:39 AM by Miss Lucy »

pageinbooks

• Greetings and Hallucinations!
Re: Winged Muses RP
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 05:00:40 AM »

Name: Vladislava Novikov
Nationality: Russian
Waking Life: Lives in Moscow. Her parents met in England, where they had fled to escape the Soviet Union's communist regime. When it ended, they went back to Russia.
Appearance: Long shaggy black hair with red tints, ice blue eyes, pale skin, tall and slim.
Hobbies: Painting, knives, books
Dream Power: Ghosting

[yeah, the same from Lucid Nightmares]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 04:57:57 AM by pageinbooks »
If there was a phobia about a large, unstable stack of books falling and crushing you in your sleep, I would have that.
Except it wouldn't be irrational.

Miss Lucy

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 05:37:44 AM »

Glad to see Vladi again! ;D We'll start on page 3.

pageinbooks

• Greetings and Hallucinations!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 07:21:22 AM »

[I am glad too. :D ]
If there was a phobia about a large, unstable stack of books falling and crushing you in your sleep, I would have that.
Except it wouldn't be irrational.

alekmakeshappiness

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 09:27:50 AM »

I'm very sorry that I dropped it.  If someone can't comrmup with a teacher, they can use my old one...

FlamingStar

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »

Hey, can I join? I don't understand much of what you've written, but I'm sure I'll catch up.

And which teacher, Clouse?

Miss Lucy

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 09:36:32 AM »

Basically, in this RP you're dreaming about being in a Greek myth. You can be a mortal, who goes about their modern day life, but when they go to sleep they can control their dreams a little, enough to be superheroes. You can also be a winged humanoid muse, or a vampire (I just call them medians or cyclopes to keep with the Greek mythology theme, but they're really vampires.) The latter two don't wake up, because they are... well, they're dreams.

I think Clouse meant character, because I had a plot for each of the 5 characters that joined the last one. Don't be too sorry, Clouse, it's no use sticking around if you're not having fun ;)

FlamingStar

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 09:38:29 AM »

Oh, I get it now! And may I join?

Miss Lucy

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 09:47:56 AM »

Of course you may  :) Sorry about the confusing boggy-down details. I just get more excited thinking up plots and settings that I forget about characters, and RP just seemed to be the obvious outlet for that.

FlamingStar

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »

Oh no, that's fine! And can I be a guy. I'm always way better at being guys. Which might worry me somewhat, but it doesn't.

Name: Darcy McLaughlin
Nationality: Ooh, I'm gonna make him an Australian, just like me!
Waking Life: Auburn hair, longish, blue eyes, tall, tanned, very Australian accent. He was born in Australia, and lived there for ten years, before his parents split and his mother movied to (where-ever this is set). He is sarcastic, shrewd, intelligent etc. I think there was something else, but I forgot it.
Dream Power: (some help here guys? not sure what would be a good one)

Miss Lucy

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 10:36:34 AM »

Some of the characters that dropped that I made plots for around their powers included: being able to conjure and control four elements (this would have led to Atlantis), being able to conjure and control light (this leads to more exploration of the nightmare world), being able to read people's minds and emotions (this was supposed to be the key in a murder-mystery at the end of the last chapter that hasn't gotten resolved yet.)

FlamingStar

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »

Oh, I see. well do you want me to take one?

Miss Lucy

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 10:54:03 AM »

Only if any of them appeal to you.  ;)

FlamingStar

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 10:55:31 AM »

Four elements sounds cool.... *pleads*  ;D

Miss Lucy

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »

Oh, fiddlesticks. I got my charrie cards mixed up (since there were so few players, I wrote them down on actual index cards.) Nerd_herd might still be playing Bree, but I don't see why there can't be two elementalists now if so. Clouse was offering his shapeshifting powers, which would have developed into creating dream characters and races. (But, admittedly, in a tiny workshop of a sculptor and not in a vast underwater city run by a Titan Empress.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9