Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: The Giver  (Read 16368 times)

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
Re: The Giver
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 05:22:16 AM »

lucky. we read the stupidest books in school. "Elijah of Buxton?" I don't care how many awards it has won, reading books in school is an insult.
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Attitudes are contagious. Mine can kill you

Nina-Chan

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 05:32:33 AM »

reading books in school is an insult.
i agree

Pedestrian

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 05:41:21 AM »

i agree
I disagree.

As long as you have a good teacher, reading books in school can be quite interesting. It gives you an opportunity to think about and discuss the books, where you might not get that chance just reading it by yourself. I haven't liked all the books I've read in school, but some were good.

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 05:42:18 AM »

I have despised every book read in school except for once in fifth grade, when we read the breadwinner. But we didn't have to talk about it.
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Attitudes are contagious. Mine can kill you

Nina-Chan

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 05:43:23 AM »

i agree
I disagree.

As long as you have a good teacher, reading books in school can be quite interesting. It gives you an opportunity to think about and discuss the books, where you might not get that chance just reading it by yourself. I haven't liked all the books I've read in school, but some were good.
i mean the fact that reading is considered a part of school, bad linkage for a lot of kids

Pedestrian

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 05:51:02 AM »

But reading IS a part of school. It has to be.
I understand what you mean, and I've always felt that it was bad to get kids to read because they "had to" and not for fun, but what else are we supposed to do in English? Standardized test practice all the time? Grammar? No, I'm glad we read books in school. It's great. It increases vocabulary and general language skills to read. You know, school-y things. Things you get tested on.

Team Toshi Banana

• CableSnow the dust mite says stay icy!
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 11:12:35 PM »

I wish we were allowed to pick the books we read in school. I'm in 6th grade, but I'd like to be reading Isaac Asimov (did I spell that right?) and Ray Bradbury books while some kids in my class are most comfortable reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid. There's no way to satisfy all of us... if we were allowed to pick the books we read, I think everyone would be happier and less annoyed by the reading that is required for English class.
Sorry I've been away from the forum for a while... I've been really busy...

Nina-Chan

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 11:32:20 PM »

I wish we were allowed to pick the books we read in school. I'm in 6th grade, but I'd like to be reading Isaac Asimov (did I spell that right?) and Ray Bradbury books while some kids in my class are most comfortable reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid. There's no way to satisfy all of us... if we were allowed to pick the books we read, I think everyone would be happier and less annoyed by the reading that is required for English class.
i thought you were much older
yeah i am the same, there are kids in my class who can barely read

bklvr!!

• oh hey
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »

true... same in my school. Same with me...
Cheesecake!

Pedestrian

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 02:36:28 AM »

6th grade? Really? I thought you were older too. xD
It's impressive that you could read Bradbury at that age. It's understandable that most people wouldn't want to though.
Plus you can always read what you WANT on your own time.

I don't know. I guess it's better in high school, because there's separation into regular/honors/AP/etc. classes (in most places), so you won't be stuck with people who can barely read. And in high school, you're going to be expected to read for the most part things that have literary value, not random books.  Shakespeare, Orwell, Mark Twain, Hawthorne, Harper Lee, Fitzgerald, Toni Morrison.

Nina-Chan

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 02:58:09 AM »

im in IB though, lol
and where i live, 8th is highschool

steve-la

• I like to RP
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 04:35:46 AM »

I love the giver

jess-la

• Stay strong for Fleem:D
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 03:31:18 PM »

I'm in 6th grade, but I'd like to be reading Isaac Asimov (did I spell that right?) and Ray Bradbury books while some kids in my class are most comfortable reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid. There's no way to satisfy all of us... if we were allowed to pick the books we read, I think everyone would be happier and less annoyed by the reading that is required for English class.

i definetly know what you mean about having people who can barely read in the same class as you, its so annoying.
im the same age and its so frustrating, i mean seeriously, they should be able to read the word "walk" by now.
i did have an awesome picture of a cat i rescued to put here, but of course, ive got no idea how to put it up. >.<

Nina-Chan

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »

in 6th grade, there were kids reading 87 paged books. With large print.

kristina-la

• A 1000 times I've failed still your mercy remains
    • tumblr
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 02:14:11 AM »

come to think of it...I've been lucky with books I've had to read. in grade 6 we read the bread winner, grade 7 we got to read whatever we wanted from a few diff books....I chose Uglies(which why I started books more)
grades 8&9 were actually the only bad ones......those books were just so stupid(I hate historical fiction)
grade 10 was the best....to kill a mocking bird is amazing.
This year......Lord of the flies.....not a big fan........but then we read Ender's game :D.......good book.

“No matter how filthy something gets, you can always clean it right up”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14