Poll

Alek Or Deryn?

Alek
- 70 (41.4%)
Deryn
- 99 (58.6%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41

Author Topic: Alek or Deryn?  (Read 28997 times)

bklvr!!

• oh hey
Alek or Deryn?
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »

Which is really asking (sort of) Clanker or Darwinist?
Cheesecake!

Team Toshi Banana

• CableSnow the dust mite says stay icy!
Re: Alek or Deryn?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 11:45:06 AM »

Deryn. Deryn hangs out with Tazza. Tazza is awesome. Therefore, Deryn is awesome! :D
Sorry I've been away from the forum for a while... I've been really busy...

JimmyLost

• Beware what may enter there.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 01:42:19 PM »

Deryn I love her attitude

bklvr!!

• oh hey
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »

Have to say Deryn too.  ;D
Cheesecake!

TK-4117

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 04:20:49 PM »

I personally can't stand the girl and her constant nagging as to the 'superiority' of beast over machine. Alek is trying to come to grips with the fact his parents are dead, people are out for his life, and his nation is going to be pulled into the greatest conflict the world had yet to see. All in all, I can at least stand him, all while Deryn just makes me want Alek to pop her in the mouth.

"Bam, zoom, straight to the moon.”
"When god give you lemons, you clone those lemons, to make super lemons." - Principle Cinnimon J. Scudworth

ouranhostphan1018

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 05:20:16 PM »

I think I would pick both but since I only can pick one....I would totally pick Deryn. She's just like me. Total Tomboy that loves to fly....honestly my mom even offered to sign me up for flying lessons. Ha hha...and my dad died too. It's like whoa deja vu! But I would totally pick her she's the girl that I would be if I had the chance! Go Deryn!!!

I LOVE YOU!

Carmabelle

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 06:02:56 AM »

If it were asking about factions, I would go with the Darwinists, but character-wise I like Alek better. Something about the altruistic nobleman is very appealing, and I found his account of events on the run somewhat more interesting than Deryn's military life.

Eviltikiman

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »

I personally can't stand the girl and her constant nagging as to the 'superiority' of beast over machine. Alek is trying to come to grips with the fact his parents are dead, people are out for his life, and his nation is going to be pulled into the greatest conflict the world had yet to see. All in all, I can at least stand him, all while Deryn just makes me want Alek to pop her in the mouth.

Of course she thinks that Fabricated beasts are better than machines, she was raised in a nation of them where they are for the most part common place. And it is not like Alek doesn't do the same with machines. Both sides feel that their methods are the best and all others are stupid or even wrong.  It is basically the "Us vs Them" mentality. It comes in many flavors: White vs Black, Orient(east) vs Occident(west), Democrats vs Republicans, Liberals vs Conservatives, the list goes on. This method of thinking has always lead to conflict and violence, and sadly is always around. Heck that is partly what the war in this story is over, a disagreement of countries on principles (and a desire for power and sparked by an assassination). The characters of Alek and Daryn are quite cleverly used to help point out flaws on their own respective sides and find goodness in other points of view. I think this is best seen when Alek sees the Leviathan up close for the first time. As much as he is afraid of fabricated creatures he cant help but feel awed by it. Yes he is incredibly creeped out by them as he interacts with them for the first time, but again he has not been raised around them and is not accustomed to them.
Don't judge me when I analyze something deeply. I am an English Major; I cant help it.

clairezy018

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 07:22:24 PM »

I personally like Alek myself. At first I preferred Deryn I found the constant "chase" with Alek tiresome, but once Deryn betrayed Alek after he saved her I started hating her character. She could have died out there enemy or not, which she didn't know he was, she shouldn't have attacked him and taken him hostage. They were in neutral territory and he had just saved her life. She acted like a b****. She did get better toward then end but it only seemed like that because of her 'girl romance feelings' or what not. I find that everything comes far to easy to Deryn; I find Alek to a much more multi-dimentional character.
On a side note I still want Alek and Deryn to end up together.  :)

imaclanker

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 02:52:05 AM »

Totally aswome dude!

bklvr!!

• oh hey
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »

I lika both the main characters, but probably can relate more to Deryn. I have to say that I am more of a clanker when it comes to awesome weaponry.
Cheesecake!

Hope-la

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 11:06:27 PM »

I like Deryn. She's spunky, and fun to read about, although Alek was an interesting character too. It's hard to choose, though....
"Light, light, light up the sky
Light up the sky to show me You are with me
I, I, I can't deny
No I can't deny
That You are right here with me
You've opened my eyes
So I can see You all around me
Light, light, light up the sky"
~The Afters

Hersha

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »

ALEK IS GORGEOUS. <3

Emma-la

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 12:12:44 AM »

I started the book liking to read Deryn's story, but near the end, I was most interested from Alek's viewpoint. I'm kinda 50/50 still.
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.”
*~*RESIDENT FORUM ROLEPLAYING ADDICT*~*

Kailey-wa

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 02:27:58 PM »

Deryn is fun and has all the cool vocab. Alek is crush-worthy and interesting, but sometimes too serious. They're both great! It's always good when you can get two different perspectives.
A lot of money is tainted...'taint yours and it 'taint mine.

DFTBA!

[insert 50 gazillion book references here]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 41