Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650

Author Topic: Currently Reading  (Read 229262 times)

Brodeo

Re: Currently Reading
« Reply #9720 on: March 20, 2017, 08:28:47 AM »

GOOGLE THE WONDERFUL O. I READ IT AS A CHILD IT WAS MY FAVE.

Ceres

• "That's just a marketing ploy to sell more bees!"
« Reply #9721 on: March 20, 2017, 08:34:32 AM »

That sOunds like an Outstandingly Original stOry

Brodeo

« Reply #9722 on: March 20, 2017, 08:41:13 AM »

Yur'e under arrest.

Ceres

« Reply #9723 on: March 20, 2017, 08:44:54 AM »

OOps

GreyCaboose

• lIKE ZOINKS SCOOB
« Reply #9724 on: April 05, 2017, 01:25:56 PM »

I just finished Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter! I enjoyed the book greatly!!
pull the trigger, piglet,

LittleK

• You're filled with determination
« Reply #9725 on: April 13, 2017, 06:33:07 AM »

I just finished reading Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth.
So much backlash on the book because of reasons such as racial stereotypes, and how it was boring overall.
:] I still liked it, it was a book that got me back to reading again
There is beauty in the world, shake your booty boys and girls

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
« Reply #9726 on: May 03, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »

I'm reading The Hate U Give.
I read the first three chapters so far and it already has me teary.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #9727 on: May 10, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »

I'm reading the new Trials of Apollo book and while the newer books definitely aren't as good as the older ones I am still really digging Apollo's character arc. 'Cause like. He's a terrible person. And his punishment of becoming mortal is doing exactly what it's supposed to do (I mean. I think. It's possible Zeus just wanted to make him miserable) and he hasn't even realized it yet but so far I think he's on the path to and it's just really compelling to see a sympathetic character who's so far a bad person to realize that A) it's not okay for him to be a bad person and B) he has the potential to be a good person and then actually grow as a person and it's just. It's really good. Also the idea of taking someone who's defined himself by his power and abilities, taking those things from him, and forcing him to take a good hard look at who he is is great. Even if it turns out so far that he's a selfish, whiny brat with no self-awareness, now he gets a chance to be more without hiding behind godlyness.
Also on a different note the presenting of platonic relationships that not only are just as strong as romantic ones but are actually directly compared to romantic relationships as far as their emotional significance to Apollo
Basically even though the story isn't as good and the humor's getting a little tired after so many books I am loving this series thematically and I can't wait to see where it's going
Edit: You know what it is? It's a coming-of-age story. It's a coming-of-age story featuring a 4000-year-old god and I love it so much
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:34:58 PM by Panzercrappitastica »
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Ceres

« Reply #9728 on: May 10, 2017, 07:53:45 PM »

Ooh I love character arcs like that, I have to crack open my copy soon! I probably wint get to until after finals but I'm looking forward to it :D

Brodeo

« Reply #9729 on: May 10, 2017, 10:02:54 PM »

I'm reading the new Trials of Apollo book and while the newer books definitely aren't as good as the older ones I am still really digging Apollo's character arc. 'Cause like. He's a terrible person. And his punishment of becoming mortal is doing exactly what it's supposed to do (I mean. I think. It's possible Zeus just wanted to make him miserable) and he hasn't even realized it yet but so far I think he's on the path to and it's just really compelling to see a sympathetic character who's so far a bad person to realize that A) it's not okay for him to be a bad person and B) he has the potential to be a good person and then actually grow as a person and it's just. It's really good. Also the idea of taking someone who's defined himself by his power and abilities, taking those things from him, and forcing him to take a good hard look at who he is is great. Even if it turns out so far that he's a selfish, whiny brat with no self-awareness, now he gets a chance to be more without hiding behind godlyness.
Also on a different note the presenting of platonic relationships that not only are just as strong as romantic ones but are actually directly compared to romantic relationships as far as their emotional significance to Apollo
Basically even though the story isn't as good and the humor's getting a little tired after so many books I am loving this series thematically and I can't wait to see where it's going
Edit: You know what it is? It's a coming-of-age story. It's a coming-of-age story featuring a 4000-year-old god and I love it so much

HmmmMMMMMM...

kristina-la

• through your strength all my fears will fade away
    • tumblr
« Reply #9730 on: June 03, 2017, 03:58:04 AM »

So much backlash on the book because of reasons such as racial stereotypes, and how it was boring overall.

I recently bought this one; had no idea there was any backlash! whatever - I'll probably still enjoy it.

In the meantime, I am reading Lord of Shadows!

Ceres

« Reply #9731 on: June 03, 2017, 04:50:50 AM »

I just bought Lord of Shadows!

Ceres

« Reply #9732 on: June 13, 2017, 04:14:27 AM »

I just finished the 5th Wave series in 6 days 0_0 I can't remember the last time I read something that fast.

Now I started Lord of Shadows and geez there are so many love triangles/quadrangles/etc. that I see no way this can't end in polyamory unless half the characters just. Die

LittleK

• You're filled with determination
« Reply #9733 on: June 13, 2017, 04:17:30 AM »

I recently bought this one; had no idea there was any backlash! whatever - I'll probably still enjoy it.

In the meantime, I am reading Lord of Shadows!

I had finished the book, and I decided finally to find people who have read it and when the next one is coming out then a load of hate was just everywhere about it :3 but it was quite enjoyable :)

I finished Illuminae, ah it's like my second book that I've read that has a different format and it made me questions things in life. And honestly, I because it's set in space it made me have lil crisis' but overall, it was really enjoyable. Quirky characters, and so many drama that was constructed so well! I've got the second book Gemina but waiting to read that after the exams - I forgot to mention I stayed up in the long hours to read it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 04:23:41 AM by Kieya »
There is beauty in the world, shake your booty boys and girls

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #9734 on: June 14, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »

I'm reading Mark of Athena for like the third or fourth time after reading PJO for maybe the fifth, and this is the first time I've actually really related to Percy?? Like I've adored him and understood his emotional responses but his whole character arc in Mark of Athena about feeling like he can't live up to expectations and being afraid of drowning even when he couldn't conceivably drown is just. Same my dude
It's kinda interesting because I hadn't realized how much I had changed since the last time I read this book but realizing how I relate to characters differently is like. Wow okay
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650