Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667

Author Topic: Currently Reading  (Read 246963 times)

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Currently Reading
« Reply #9975 on: September 24, 2017, 06:47:37 AM »

finally got around to reading Uglies today, got about halfway thru, wasn't bad. @ Cat i see what u mean about how Westefeld put themes before characters in this book. i can already see how the characters would come across as flat or unlikeable, and ngl i definetly prefer Scott's latest stuff over this, but its not deal breakingly bad so far. idk no strong feelings either way at this point, and im not even close to finishing it so who knows, these r just my first impressions
(insert something cute/witty/philosophical here)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #9976 on: September 24, 2017, 09:38:20 AM »

Yeah! Westerfeld definitely has improved in the character department since he wrote Uglies, but the book was definitely not focused on characters either way. What part are you at?

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #9977 on: September 24, 2017, 11:29:41 AM »

Tally just met the smokie people. i got serious last-couple-chapters-of-fahrenheit-451 vibes from her adventure in the chapters before that, it was kinda funny

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #9978 on: September 24, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »

I need to read that book. Is thata good or a bad thing? :P

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #9979 on: September 24, 2017, 11:36:15 AM »

technically a bad thing cuz i found fahrenheit 451 annoying af, but i actually enjoyed those bits in Uglies

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
« Reply #9980 on: September 25, 2017, 10:26:28 AM »

I'm reading Robert's Rules of Order, it's a book on parliamentary procedure for committees, councils & boards.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #9981 on: September 25, 2017, 10:45:03 AM »

If you have to read that for work/school, then I'm very sorry. If you're reading that for fun...then I'm also very sorry,

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
« Reply #9982 on: September 28, 2017, 12:25:17 PM »

Sort of both? I'm taking a class at the place I volunteer at.
There's a huge initiative to try and get more people with disabilities on local councils.
At the end of the class we're going to meet up from people with organizations we are interested in and try to get more information on their organizations.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #9983 on: September 28, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »

Ohh, in that case, it seems like a worthwhile read. Good luck with your initiative

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #9984 on: October 03, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »

fdhdfsabf read The Catcher in the Rye for school and I actually really liked it? i mean there were bits here and there that i coulda done without, but otherwise i enjoyed it a lot and i was expecting to hate it, so thats cool

|ĸιrα|

• bad boyfriend, damn good babysitter
« Reply #9985 on: October 03, 2017, 02:13:33 PM »

THAT'S ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS EVER

I'm stealthy, like a ninja

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #9986 on: October 04, 2017, 05:31:25 AM »

I'm reading the new Magnus Chase book and it's made me just really, really mad at Confederates and also transphobia and abusive parents and I want to punch a lot of fictional people and this is a YA book about Norse mythology. Like I know conciously Rick Riordan gets pretty dark sometimes but I'm still startled every time it happens. Geez
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #9987 on: October 15, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »

I'm reading All the Pretty Horses for English and after 160 entire pages of lowkey hating it finally something interesting is happening but also I read this book because I'd heard it was the least depressing of Cormac McCarthy's work but it is. Definitely not not depressing and horrifying so I think I definitely don't want to read of the guy's other books
Spoilery update: A child just died! A child! Police took him into the woods and shot him! After mutilating his feet and starving him for days! Because he killed three people! A child!! How is this the least depressing and horrifying anything!!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:08:51 AM by Panzercrappitastica »
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #9988 on: November 22, 2017, 06:31:43 AM »

read The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness and i was rlly enjoying it up until the last 3 chapters when it suddenly got... sorta bad. like out of nowhere. not enough to ruin the entire book but like... wow, what happened

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #9989 on: December 09, 2017, 03:34:03 PM »

Just finished reading Station Eleven for English and. Y’all. This is such a good book. It’s about a band of musicians and actors travelling aroud a post-apocalyptic world but also a whole lot more than that and it’s so good

- Catvomitsky
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667