Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670

Author Topic: Currently Reading  (Read 271532 times)

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: Currently Reading
« Reply #10020 on: January 20, 2018, 06:30:48 AM »

I just read the Tensorate books by J. Y. Yang and they were. Something. Not quite what I usually read but I liked them
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #10021 on: February 09, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »

A while ago Julia and Besly were talking about American Gods and Iím like 3/4 of the way through and and some thoughts:
- you uh. Were not wrong about weird sex stuff. As far five minutes of Googling told me having sex with a jinni does not mean the jinni trades places with you
- LOVE the concept and love trying to guess what gods all the characters are before weíre told
- OKAY SO Shadowís character is super interesting and compelling conceptually but in action he is?? Such a frustrating protagonist?? Ask some goddamn questions?? The whole world is upside-down and youíre getting beat up semi-regularly for reasons you donít understand maybe donít blindly trust the guy on the plane who yeah is a god but so are the other people what the fók Shadow this is weird. I donít need several chapters of ďMike Ainsel lives a calm life in a pleasant little town because his boss told him toĒ this is a book about warring gods I donít care about someoneís pastries P LEASE SHADOW youíre (spoiler alert) a son of Odin what kind of son of Odin says ďthey donít pay me to ask questions p lease Shadow do something make choices what are you d oing everyone reading this knew that you had sex with the cat and who heckin Low Key Lyesmith was are you even trying
Like I really appreciate the symbolism (more spoilers!) of Shadow insisting on being hung from the tree and subsequently learning all the answers via death and yay for him finally taking some agency in this book in which he is the main character but also what are the remaining hundred pages of this book supposed to do when the PoV character has chosen to just not exist anymore
My best guess is he gets reincarnated as a manifestation of Odin but also heíd be a really crappy Odin, see: does not ask questions or seek knowledge
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

Julia The Bookworm

« Reply #10022 on: February 10, 2018, 12:31:48 PM »

it's been a few years since I've read that. It's one of my favorites, I should reread it.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #10023 on: February 13, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »

Update: Iím finished except for the epilogue and A) holy sót and B) what an excellent subversion of the whole ďwoman dies for the sake of the male protagonistís character arcĒ thing

- Catvomitsky

Julia The Bookworm

« Reply #10024 on: February 26, 2018, 01:32:50 PM »

I'm reading The Color Purple. Has anyone else read it?

GentlemanBesly

« Reply #10025 on: March 05, 2018, 04:42:00 PM »

I couldn't finish American Gods but I hope you enjoyed it cause it's an ordeal and a half. ._.

I have not! What's it about what's it like tell me all?

ジャガイモはセクシーで

"Mmph." says Romeo, who in the night has released a special enzyme to digest his own face and fuse himself to Juliet.

Julia The Bookworm

« Reply #10026 on: March 06, 2018, 03:15:49 AM »

It's about these two African-american sisters in the southeastern US in the 20's to 30's. The  main charater. Celie, gets marred to a man she doesn't like, in order to escape her abusive father, and falls in love with her husband's lover, a jazz singer named Shug Avery. The other sister, Nettie becomes A missionary in Africa along with the adoptive parent's of Celie's two children. The story is written in the style of letters between the two sisters and Celie's letters to God.

Lexa-Wa

« Reply #10027 on: March 06, 2018, 09:50:14 AM »

Currently reading Welcome to Night Vale which is also a pod cast but with a different storyline than the book.
College man

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #10028 on: March 17, 2018, 03:41:34 PM »

Iím reading The Song of Achilles and thereís so much dramatic irony, donít do me like this

- Catvomitsky

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #10029 on: March 19, 2018, 03:41:33 PM »

Update: Where does this book get off making Achilles more of a tragic hero?? Iíve cried enough times to lose count and the war hasnít even properly started?? Iím gonna fight Madeline Miller

- Catvomitsky

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #10030 on: March 22, 2018, 02:46:09 PM »

ANOTHER UPDATE I FINISHED AND IíM CRYING A LOT AND MADELINE MILLER CAN F IGHT ME
(Yíall should read this and join me in screaming)

- Catvomitsky

Ghost44

• bite me
« Reply #10031 on: March 25, 2018, 06:12:40 PM »

The Midnight Front by David Mack
*Insert funny/silly saying here*

LittleK

• On a le pouvoir de s'aimer, okay?
« Reply #10032 on: March 31, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »

Currently reading:
Rainbow Rowellís Carry On but now Iím thinking there are previous books to it but Iím continuing it I love the writing style of it so... British references I can understand and I love it

In other news I preordered V. Rothís duology of The Fates Divide and itís signed and all and I hope I win her artwork too I really enjoyed the first book. It really got me into the whole sci-fi space genre itís so mysterious and your mind can really explore it.
You're filled with determination

Julia The Bookworm

« Reply #10033 on: March 31, 2018, 03:46:38 PM »

it's a companion book to Fangirl.

Ceres

• nothing nkight
« Reply #10034 on: April 07, 2018, 12:02:49 AM »

Currently reading The Kite Runner. Khaled Hossini is genuinely one of the most moving writers Iíve come across and I wish heíd written more novels
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669] 670