Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669]

Author Topic: Currently Reading  (Read 252384 times)

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: Currently Reading
« Reply #10020 on: January 20, 2018, 06:30:48 AM »

I just read the Tensorate books by J. Y. Yang and they were. Something. Not quite what I usually read but I liked them
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #10021 on: February 09, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »

A while ago Julia and Besly were talking about American Gods and I’m like 3/4 of the way through and and some thoughts:
- you uh. Were not wrong about weird sex stuff. As far five minutes of Googling told me having sex with a jinni does not mean the jinni trades places with you
- LOVE the concept and love trying to guess what gods all the characters are before we’re told
- OKAY SO Shadow’s character is super interesting and compelling conceptually but in action he is?? Such a frustrating protagonist?? Ask some goddamn questions?? The whole world is upside-down and you’re getting beat up semi-regularly for reasons you don’t understand maybe don’t blindly trust the guy on the plane who yeah is a god but so are the other people what the f—k Shadow this is weird. I don’t need several chapters of “Mike Ainsel lives a calm life in a pleasant little town because his boss told him to” this is a book about warring gods I don’t care about someone’s pastries P LEASE SHADOW you’re (spoiler alert) a son of Odin what kind of son of Odin says “they don’t pay me to ask questions p lease Shadow do something make choices what are you d oing everyone reading this knew that you had sex with the cat and who heckin Low Key Lyesmith was are you even trying
Like I really appreciate the symbolism (more spoilers!) of Shadow insisting on being hung from the tree and subsequently learning all the answers via death and yay for him finally taking some agency in this book in which he is the main character but also what are the remaining hundred pages of this book supposed to do when the PoV character has chosen to just not exist anymore
My best guess is he gets reincarnated as a manifestation of Odin but also he’d be a really crappy Odin, see: does not ask questions or seek knowledge
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
« Reply #10022 on: February 10, 2018, 12:31:48 PM »

it's been a few years since I've read that. It's one of my favorites, I should reread it.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #10023 on: February 13, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »

Update: I’m finished except for the epilogue and A) holy s—t and B) what an excellent subversion of the whole “woman dies for the sake of the male protagonist’s character arc” thing

- Catvomitsky
Pages: 1 ... 667 668 [669]