Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Night  (Read 4279 times)

kay-wathesmokelives

• Sweet nightingale....
Night
« on: January 17, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »

Anyone read Night by Elie Wisel?
My class is going to start reading it in a few days, and I want to know your thoughts.
Anatidaephobia is the fear that somewhere in the world, there is a duck watching you.

"Have you not met Will Turner? He's noble, heroic- terrific soprano." Captain Jack Sparrow

snowybunny12

Re: Night
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »

It's a bit complicated and very sad, but well written.

Nightwatcher

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 09:23:17 AM »

Oh yeah...that sorry bastard who's complaining about how bad his life is when he's actually in a situation that isn't that bad compaired to other interment camps.
...this video... sums up what I think of your opinion unfortunately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8IxOGvduG4

It ain't cool to downplay anything that happened during that time. It was pretty flipping terrible and the worst mark on human history I know of.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »

Hey, all I know is, my teacher said it made her cry and I read it in under a day and didn't feel a thing. Honestly the guy sounds kinda whiny.
I mean yeah his life was shit but at least he didn't have his camp blasted off the face of the map by accident by Allied artillery.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Nightwatcher

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 01:11:28 AM »

It doesn't matter. The point of the book and the point of the whole situation is that we should never do that again. What happened there and in those camps were an atrocity through and through. The lowest point of the human race. There is no "outdoing" the other with how fucked up it was... it was just all fucked up

Straif

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 05:00:18 AM »

On that we can agree.
That being said it wont stop me from enjoying German beer and bratwurst.
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 06:33:50 AM »

Of course not. Continuing to hate anything German won't help anything now.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Straif

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 08:05:11 AM »

Agreed.
Seriously though...if you're ever in Germany, make sure to try actual bratwurst. That shit is the BOMB
Resident Halo Fanatic

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 05:18:08 PM »

I haven't actually read this book but what I think Straif is trying to say is that the book fails to create an accurate, detailed or believable sense of how bad it was, and therefore the characters reactions seem overblown and/or irrational.

BarkingLizards

• Call me Liz :)
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 05:29:47 PM »

That book depicted his portrayal  pretty well. He was in Auschwitz and Buchenwald. Which were pretty harsh in their own way. But he didn't go through the "bad" part of it, obviously, because he didn't die. But you guys need to keep in mind, when he published the book, he had to keep a lot of stuff out, cause of the laws. You can't really have a school read a book that has explanations of those things. I met Elie Wiesel a couple years ago, he came to our school to do a seminar. I literally cried with all the things he said and showed. It was a lot worse than the book. You can't really put graphic things like that in books. Well, there's loopholes and things. But I don't think people would ever want to read it if they had everything in there. But that's just my opinion.
Hi! :D
I'm most definitely a girl.
Forum resident Scientist

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 05:30:52 PM »

Well if it was a first hand account then that's completely different. I assumed it was a novel.

BarkingLizards

• Call me Liz :)
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »

It's a first hand account. You should read it.
Hi! :D
I'm most definitely a girl.
Forum resident Scientist

BlueberryDoughnut

• Knife Wife, Keeper of the Holy Bun
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 11:21:13 PM »

Frankly, the fact that this is a true story and people are complaining about how "whiny" and "overblown" he is when he suffered more than any of us ever will is disgusting. Do you people have hearts of stone rather than flesh?
"We are not drawn to God by iron chains, but by sweet attractions and holy inspirations."
      ~ St. Francis de Sales

"God can write straight with crooked lines. We just have to let Him in."
      ~ Fr. Mike Schmitz

"Love is a losing game...one I wish I never played..."
       ~ Amy Winehouse

Nightwatcher

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 03:11:37 AM »

I find it grotesque. Its the greatest blight on human history: a complete lack of humanity, mercy, love and dignity...

Straif

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 03:42:19 AM »

The people witnessing the Gaza bombings would disagree I would think, considering how much they're spamming the internet.
Resident Halo Fanatic
Pages: [1] 2 3