Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Debate: Extras is the best book  (Read 4651 times)

Sakura-chan

• My Alter Ego Is Ping-la
Debate: Extras is the best book
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:31:33 PM »

Sakura's Opening Statement, then the debate shall begin:
Extras, I believe is the best book out of the Uglies quartet, because of the snapshot it gives of life after prettytime, in a cultural renaissance. It says to us: humanity is not completely doomed, so don't give up hope. Even though you'll never live to see Aya's time, even if we end up like the rusties, the world still has a chance of being okay, and that's shown to us by Extras.
Thank you and goodnight.
"Think again. I'm Tally Youngblood. My mind is very ugly. And I'm taking your car."-Tally-wa
Hi Ping-la!

Team Toshi Banana

• CableSnow the dust mite says stay icy!
Re: Debate: Extras is the best book
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 07:51:01 AM »

I liked Extras, but had two major problems with it:
One: Dr. Cable is not in it! Where is Dr. C? The Uglies world cannot be complete without her... she's the best character and I wanted to find out what happened to her! (I'm still hoping she'll make Moggle a special in Cakes)
Two: Am I the only one who thinks Tally was a creep in Extras? She was so... different from the Tally in Uglies... but maybe tht's just because we weren't in her head this time. Still, she seemed kind of annoying in Extras.
That being said, I also loved Extras because:
One: Moggle is introduced! Yay Moggle! Go hovercams! (Because the robot who takes pics of people and doesn't talk is so much better than the actual protag, right?)
Two: Toshi Banana appears! Yay again! :D
Oh, and also it was really well written. And it involved Shay and Fausto.
Sorry I've been away from the forum for a while... I've been really busy...

JimmyLost

• Beware what may enter there.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:49:12 AM »

I liked extras but i have to say the best book in the trilogy IMO is Specials.
Extras always felt kinda...Extra to me. That being said I did like seeing Tally from a diferent perspective and Aya's(that the right name?) city is fascinating

Sakura-chan

• My Alter Ego Is Ping-la
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 01:37:49 PM »

One: Dr. Cable is not in it! Where is Dr. C? The Uglies world cannot be complete without her... she's the best character and I wanted to find out what happened to her! (I'm still hoping she'll make Moggle a special in Cakes)
Two: Am I the only one who thinks Tally was a creep in Extras? She was so... different from the Tally in Uglies... but maybe tht's just because we weren't in her head this time. Still, she seemed kind of annoying in Extras.
One: Moggle is introduced! Yay Moggle! Go hovercams! (Because the robot who takes pics of people and doesn't talk is so much better than the actual protag, right?)
Lol. I think every book could use a Dr. C.
Also...Cakes? You noticed that too? I thought I was crazy until I bought the insider's guide this morning...XD
Tally was totally being a jerk in Extras. You're not the only one that thought that.
"Think again. I'm Tally Youngblood. My mind is very ugly. And I'm taking your car."-Tally-wa
Hi Ping-la!

JimmyLost

• Beware what may enter there.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »

do you want to join project cakes Sakura-chan?

Pedestrian

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 11:35:55 AM »

Well that's awesome and all, but that doesn't make it the best book.
The idea of humanity being completely screwed with a few rebels is arguably more interesting.

I found the plot less interesting than the original trilogy.
It was like the plot (the whole outerspace Extras thing) wasn't really related to the theme (a society obsessed with popularity).
Where in Uglies/Pretties/Specials, the plot and theme are pretty interwoven.

Tabac vie

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 12:41:24 PM »

Actuallly I found extras my least favourite of the Uglies series. I think mainly b/c I just couldn't stand Aya. I also agree with Pedestrian it was slightly off theme. I mean it was a wonderful book but it wasn't as powerful and while the general idea was interesting it didn't have the same issues that made you consider life for what it was. so I feel that Extras isn't the best book.
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms- to choose one's attitdue in any given circumstance, to choose one's own way. - Vicktor E Frankl

ReineDeVampire

• Party in my eye socket, and everyone's invited!
    • LivEvil
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 04:00:39 AM »

Yeah...the aliens thing was a bit odd...my favorite will still be Uglies...I've actually finally just found my horribly thrashed copy of it...I think I'm gonna read it again ^_^

"I'm not like all the other girls
I can't take it like the other girls
I won't share it like the other girls
That you used to know"

Team Toshi Banana

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 08:03:11 AM »

Actuallly I found extras my least favourite of the Uglies series. I think mainly b/c I just couldn't stand Aya. I also agree with Pedestrian it was slightly off theme. I mean it was a wonderful book but it wasn't as powerful and while the general idea was interesting it didn't have the same issues that made you consider life for what it was. so I feel that Extras isn't the best book.
Yeah, it definitely wasn't, but it had MOGGLE in it, which automatically makes it awesome. Other then that though, I didn't really like it.

James-chan

• The end of a legacy...
    • White Ridge Fire/Rescue
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 12:03:20 PM »

You're right! Tally was SUCH a creep! Maybe it was because of the special lesions.
Don't forget to vote in my poll on which is the best book!

For my Brothers. Because too many have forgotten.

**THE WESTERFORUM'S RESIDENT MOTHER TRUCKER**

Active member of the Scott Westerfeld Forum 2/28/10-8/2/11
I'm an Authentic Oldie. One of the Originals.

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 12:33:05 PM »

I agree! and I like specials better. Tally is just like Fang in Extras, minus being a boy, having wings, and kissing people.
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Attitudes are contagious. Mine can kill you

Pedestrian

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 01:36:34 PM »

Idk. I felt like the Tally in Extras was an honest perspective on who she'd become.
Distant, hurt, special-brained and terrifying.

The Tally in Specials, although a Special, is better 'cause we're in her head and we understand her.
But in Extras, from Aya's perspective, she's a creep...because Aya thinks she's a creep.
I felt like it was more objective, I guess?

Heliopteryx

• Aliens are people too!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »

I think Extras was on par with the other books, which is quite remarkable.  However, I like the first three best. 

Extras shows just how abraisive Tally has become.  I think we could really do without this degrading perspective. 

Also, the Extraverse isn't quite a Utopia, as many are slaves oftheir face-rank. 
If knowledge=power, then great knowlege=great power.

However, with great power comes great insanity, so MUAHAHAHahahahahAHAHAHAHAhahahaha. . . . . . . . . . .

Dantzlert

• Ashwater
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 01:04:48 AM »

Love Them All!

Team Toshi Banana

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 10:01:43 AM »

Idk. I felt like the Tally in Extras was an honest perspective on who she'd become.
Distant, hurt, special-brained and terrifying.

The Tally in Specials, although a Special, is better 'cause we're in her head and we understand her.
But in Extras, from Aya's perspective, she's a creep...because Aya thinks she's a creep.
I felt like it was more objective, I guess?
That's what it seemed like to me, but I've never liked Tally, so having a chance to say she was a creep... I took it. :D But if we had been inside her head in Extras, probably Aya would be the creep.
Pages: [1] 2