Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What if...Instead of the Pretty Operation  (Read 3089 times)

Cola

• Word up.
What if...Instead of the Pretty Operation
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:34:51 PM »

I was thinking about Tally's world, and how life sucks for Uglies. Also, the pretty operation seem kind of freaky. Then I was thinking about how there are "natural born pretties". And that must be genetics.

So the thought came to me: What if instead of getting a surgical operation, beauty came through genetics? A scientifical lab could decide on who would "mate" with who, based on their DNA and such to create an attractive kid.

I guess this idea would be kind of complicated, but let me know what you think. In order to be at the pretty standard though, they would probably still have to undergo some sort of operation to get the health benefits and all that. And this idea would probably also ruin the society structure that's in this world. But any thoughts?
'Hi Ping-la'.
The world is a vampire.

Nina-Chan

• Fantastic!
Re: What if...Instead of the Pretty Operation
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 05:26:01 AM »

that idea has been thriwn ariund too in the world of scifi
there is a movie that i dont remember what it is called where everyone can create their own ideal kid
Member since 01.06.10

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 05:28:36 AM »

there is a movie that i dont remember what it is called where everyone can create their own ideal kid
I think it was Gattaca (sp?) I remember watching it in Bio30 last year. :p It is a pretty interesting concept, though.

Death the Kidd

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:38:32 AM »

They do it leopard geckoes and ALL ANIMALS.

Candle458

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:10:01 AM »

That's what Hitler did when he tried to create his arean race

Nina-Chan

• Fantastic!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:25:53 AM »

I think it was Gattaca (sp?) I remember watching it in Bio30 last year. :p It is a pretty interesting concept, though.
yepp!  what confused me about that movie though was why couldnt they just make him a new spine
Member since 01.06.10

Abby-la

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 07:41:18 AM »

yepp!  what confused me about that movie though was why couldnt they just make him a new spine

slightly creeped out...

Nina-Chan

• Fantastic!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 07:48:46 AM »

why?
Member since 01.06.10

Leo-wa

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 07:45:59 AM »

The whole "supposed" point of the pretty operation was once everyone turned 16, everyone was equal. If done through genetics, some people would be told they are lesser than others and aren't good enough to reproduce, and it wouldn't be fair or equal.

Also, people have thought of that, using extremely racist ideas of who was good enough to reproduce and who wasn't. They called it eugenics and it was not pretty.

Cola

• Word up.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 07:56:44 AM »

That, is a good point.
And on the thought of racism, this occurred to me while once I was reading Uglies, how is skin color and such determined in the pretty operation?
'Hi Ping-la'.
The world is a vampire.

Bovril18

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »

That, is a good point.
And on the thought of racism, this occurred to me while once I was reading Uglies, how is skin color and such determined in the pretty operation?

I totally agree!  Would everyone be made to have the same skin color?  Or would they have different skin colors?  And if there were different skin colors, would there still be racism?  Or if they were to choose one skin color, what would it be?  It could cause a lot of problems.  Interesting though, I've never really thought about that before.
"Well you must be Harry Potter the famous bastard.  My name is Draco Malfoy.  I am a racist, I despise gingers and mudbloods, I hate Gryffindoor house, and my parents work for the man who killed your parents.  Do you want to be my friend?"  "Red Vines-what the hell can't they do?"
AVPS

Cola

• Word up.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 08:30:49 AM »

It's one of those things that's hard to think about. They might have different skin colors based on where they live, and it might differ within one city or continent. Maybe they have slight variations in coloring or something. It's never really mentioned in the books.

Changing the topic and sort of contradicting the whole Rusty idea, aren't there places in the world today that don't actually depend on oil, therefore not getting destroyed in the whole end-of-the-Rusty-world? Would these people be the ones who survived to create the new society of uglies and pretties?
'Hi Ping-la'.
The world is a vampire.

YouBeFroze

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 09:22:01 AM »

True. SOMEbody had to survive.

Lauren-sensei

• What am I doing with my life?
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 07:46:32 AM »

The whole "supposed" point of the pretty operation was once everyone turned 16, everyone was equal. If done through genetics, some people would be told they are lesser than others and aren't good enough to reproduce, and it wouldn't be fair or equal.

Also, people have thought of that, using extremely racist ideas of who was good enough to reproduce and who wasn't. They called it eugenics and it was not pretty.
Also, there would be like no bubbleheads, and like then no one would be pretty-minded
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 01:20:38 AM »

Sounds like a crossover of Leviathan and Uglies ideas. I approve.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic
Pages: [1] 2