Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Official So Yesterday Question  (Read 1945 times)

YouBeFroze

Official So Yesterday Question
« on: April 14, 2012, 08:27:18 AM »

Okay, so I read So Yesterday and loved it, but I had one question. There's this book by Malcolm Gladwell called The Tipping Point, which is a nonfiction about what makes certain trends tip and stuff. I found two places in there that matched up with ideas from So Yesterday. 1st, the term "Innovator" was used to describe people who are the beginning of trends. 2nd, it referenced a thing in Belgium where people were getting sick from Coke when they found out it had sulfur monoxide in it, but only after they knew what was in it and even though the amount wasn't enough to be harmful. That sounds like the paka-paka attacks. It could just be me making things up, but I honestly wondered. Any thoughts?

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
Re: Official So Yesterday Question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »

Well, innovator is an actual word and it really only has one meaning so it would be easy for two people writing about a similar subject to use it for the same thing. The other thing, if it's a factual thing then it doesn't necessarily belong to ONE writer and since both authors were writing on a similar subject it makes sense for them to have similar research results such as the paka paka thing.

**WESTERFORUM RESIDENT KING OF LOGIC**

YouBeFroze

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:46:30 PM »

Thanks. It just didn't seem random to me, like maybe Scott read the book as he was writing or something. I don't know.

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »

It's possible, since that is a non fiction book it could have been a reasource Scott found when he searched for content about trends/consumerism(assuming he had to research for So Yesterday)

**WESTERFORUM RESIDENT KING OF LOGIC**