Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Question  (Read 14987 times)

gavinfuzzy

• "I Shall Stand... ...The Rest Shall Fall"
Re: Question
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2012, 02:29:27 PM »

Ha! See, now people are replying!
FAKE SUBTLETY WORKS!
That it does, my dear daft prince, that it does. :33
And I think that explanation was rather awesome, aye. :33

Thank you for the compliment.
Leviathan was a kind of turning point for me when I realised all those english teachers and other intellectuals might have been right when they said that a good story is carried by the emotions of its characters rather than the scale of its events. I also learnt that romance can actually be really good if done well.

I think of the bullshit that is Twillight whenever I think of  romance book.

Besides, the romance only took place for like 1/8 of Goliath. Since according to the bonus chapter on Scott's blog, Derlyn ( I can't spell) goes back to being a boy to work for the Zoo.
Please hold while I create a new sig~

Check out my Deviant Art too ^_^ http://gavinlimkj.deviantart.com/

Daft_Prince

• Also known elsewhere as BowlerFish
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2012, 02:49:13 PM »

I think of the bullshit that is Twillight whenever I think of  romance book.

Besides, the romance only took place for like 1/8 of Goliath. Since according to the bonus chapter on Scott's blog, Derlyn ( I can't spell) goes back to being a boy to work for the Zoo.
I also learnt that romance can actually be really good if done well.
The part of that quote I have emboldened should tell you why Twilight doesn't count. One terrible example should not drag down an entire genre. Now let's just pretend Twilight doesn't exist and all those fans who say otherwise are just really into gothic folklore.

Also it's Deryn, just remove the 'l'.

I think what makes the romance in Leviathan so good is that its very subtle until the end. It's the most important part of the book but it's not the whole book.

Bramblepool

• I <3 Lavi
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 06:25:15 AM »

Yeah and then if you want LOTS of Dalek just read fanfics.  works for me.
One by one, they ran away.  With their made up minds to leave it all behind, as the light began to fade from the city on the hill.

Trample the weak, hurtle the dead.

Mmmmmm Norwegian deer liver.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

I wouldn't push people I DONT like down a hill.

Daft_Prince

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2012, 08:43:16 PM »

Ah yes, the fanfiction. Lot's of Dalek fluff there. Still, my favourite is So what happens next?Orion, which keeps the same balance of romance/action/plot as the actual books.
But then my other favourite is Goggles, so perhaps a bit of pure... uh... 'romance' can be good too.

gavinfuzzy

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2012, 09:01:29 PM »

Ah yes, the fanfiction. Lot's of Dalek fluff there. Still, my favourite is So what happens next?Orion, which keeps the same balance of romance/action/plot as the actual books.
But then my other favourite is Goggles, so perhaps a bit of pure... uh... 'romance' can be good too.

Orion? Is that a book too?

Daft_Prince

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2012, 09:45:01 PM »

It's the name of a fanfiction. Orion is its proper sort of name and So what happens next? is the basic premise of the story. I would reccomend reading it immediately.

Goggles on the other hand is a series of 4 short stories by Julia456 that cant'g go in Quite Peculier because they are rated M for being erotic (but in a really subtle way).

gavinfuzzy

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:54 PM »

It's the name of a fanfiction. Orion is its proper sort of name and So what happens next? is the basic premise of the story. I would reccomend reading it immediately.

Goggles on the other hand is a series of 4 short stories by Julia456 that cant'g go in Quite Peculier because they are rated M for being erotic (but in a really subtle way).

Any link to the fanfics? I don't accept fanfics but i'll read it anyways.

Daft_Prince

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2012, 10:22:30 PM »

So what happens next? Orion
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7732544/1/So_What_Happens_Next_Orion

And Goggles if that's what your into
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6837694/1/Goggles

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »

Huh, I always had trouble reading Orion...just couldn't get into it though.
Goggles I liked. Made me write my own lemon for the series too.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

gavinfuzzy

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2012, 06:50:57 PM »

So what happens next? Orion
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7732544/1/So_What_Happens_Next_Orion

And Goggles if that's what your into
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6837694/1/Goggles

Barking spiders! 20+ chapters!

Straif

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2012, 01:02:56 AM »

Yeah. It's one of the few fanfictions that every even begins to reach actual novel lenght. Can't really read it myself, for some reason.
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

gavinfuzzy

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2012, 01:05:31 AM »

Yeah. It's one of the few fanfictions that every even begins to reach actual novel lenght. Can't really read it myself, for some reason.

Doesn't help that I don't accept fan fictions. I only occasionally read the shorter fan fics. But to me, they never really take place in the Leviathan universe section of my mind and imagination.  ;D

Straif

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2012, 01:09:56 AM »

Good...you are of clearer mind then most fanfic readers. They read stuff on FF.N and instantly think it's the fo real deal. No. It's not. And honestly, I think that's part of the reason I can't read Orion. Leviathan ended with Goliath. Simple as that. Well, except for the "cough" bonus chapter, but that was just an excuse to put Alek in a dress and do some fanservice to some Texan idiots who made a in-real-life huxley out of ballons and streamers.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Anchorgurl1

• Derek bby
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »

Good...you are of clearer mind then most fanfic readers. They read stuff on FF.N and instantly think it's the fo real deal. No. It's not. And honestly, I think that's part of the reason I can't read Orion. Leviathan ended with Goliath. Simple as that. Well, except for the "cough" bonus chapter, but that was just an excuse to put Alek in a dress and do some fanservice to some Texan idiots who made a in-real-life huxley out of ballons and streamers.
Well we're in a mood lol but, I must say I agree! That's why most of my fics are super OOC most of the times
F.G.- Dylan as a guy and Alek as a chick, or Deryn as a Darwinist princess in a female domonite society and Alek as a guy dressed as a lass in fore mentioned female domonite society!!!
PS- I don't have shame so find me here- http://anchorgurl1.deviantart.com/
Forum resident Mayday Parade fangirl and Darwinist Monarch

KILL JOYS NEVER DIE
I play the Romeo/you play the Juliet- Of Mice and Men
we could sit around and cry but frankly you aren't worth it any more/such a simple little whore- Mayday Parade

Straif

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2012, 11:24:29 AM »

I know of your work. I have read it on DeviantArt. I my self am Straif5 on there also. We have conversed before. I suggested that you expand your flipped characters a little more, I believe.
Resident Halo Fanatic
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7