Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Hunger Games VS Uglies  (Read 10709 times)

Luna Lovegood

• Westerforum's Resident David Hater
Hunger Games VS Uglies
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:22:29 AM »

Okay, I've been hearing a lot of "Katniss is just a rip off of Tally and Suzanne just ripped Scott off and I hate the Hunger Game!" Well, aside from being really annoying, this is just not accurate for so many reasons. I mean sure there are similarities, but it's not a copy. Here are the reasons why.

Truth- Both books have female main character
Truth-almsot half of all YA books have girls for main person in the story.
Truth- There is a love triangle in both
Truth-City of Bones, Twilight, Vampier Academy, Wickedly Lovely all had this, and no 1 said they were copying Scott.
Truth-they are both Dystopias
Truth- There are a heck of a lot of books like that right now, it's a popular topic!
Truth-In uglies, the government keeps the people, healthy, happy and pampered to they do not do crazy things or rebel.
Truth- In hunger games, they starve them, beat them, and torture them so they can't rebel.
Truth-uglies characters care about looking nice.
Truth- Hunger Game's people don't give a damm and care about making it to tomorrow alive
Truth- Hunger Games is written in 1st person
Truth-Uglies is written in third

I don't see that many similarities here guys. To say Hunger is a bad imitation of uglies, it's not true, because it's not suppose to be and imitation of uglies to begin with.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:58:39 AM by Luna Lovegood »

Lauren-sensei

• What am I doing with my life?
Re: Hunger Games VS Uglies
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:55:27 AM »

That is so right!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

cass.anne16

• What you do, the way youthink, makes ya beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 03:27:02 PM »

I think more than anything it's the fact that they are both successful teen novels being adapted to the big screen. 

Now, if this was about which series wins out....well, let's just say I'm posting on a Uglies forum and not a Hunger Games one. ;)
You make me smile like the sun
Fall out of bed, sing like a bird
Dizzy in my head, spin like a record
Crazy on a Sunday night..
You make me dance like a fool
Just the thought of you can drive me wild
Ohh, you make me smile.

Luna Lovegood

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 04:41:22 AM »

This is not a thread of which 1 you like more, this is a thread about why you cannot call Hunger a cheap ripoff of Uglies.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 06:06:09 AM »

There really aren't that many similarites, I agree. I haven't read Hunger Games, but I can tell from what little I know there's almost no correlation between them. Which makes me even more puzzled by people who say Katniss could kill Special Tally...yeah, right.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Hope-la

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 06:21:51 AM »

Which makes me even more puzzled by people who say Katniss could kill Special Tally...yeah, right.
Suuuure.
The main similarity is that they're both teen dystopias, but the worlds they are set in are radically different. (Although not that much, now that I think about it... both governments want to control their population, one by the Hunger Games and one by brain damage.)
"Light, light, light up the sky
Light up the sky to show me You are with me
I, I, I can't deny
No I can't deny
That You are right here with me
You've opened my eyes
So I can see You all around me
Light, light, light up the sky"
~The Afters

Khoela

• Don't mind me, I'm a nerd.
    • Khoela's tumblr
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »

I hate how people automatically assume that when two books are "similar," one is "copying" the other. If no book were ever influenced by another book, books would suck. Authors use elements from other works of literature to improve their own, and a novel that is entirely original would have little going for it. I think what people should be discussing is not whether Collins "copied" Scott, but how his work may have influenced the development of her story or the way people look at it.
~THE WESTERFORUM’S RESIDENT HISTORY NERD/BAND GEEK/CAREBEAR FIGHTING NINJA~

Tumblr: http://khoela.tumblr.com/

Lauren-sensei

• What am I doing with my life?
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:30:36 AM »

I hate how people automatically assume that when two books are "similar," one is "copying" the other. If no book were ever influenced by another book, books would suck. Authors use elements from other works of literature to improve their own, and a novel that is entirely original would have little going for it. I think what people should be discussing is not whether Collins "copied" Scott, but how his work may have influenced the development of her story or the way people look at it.
I totally agree with you
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Khoela

• Khoela's tumblr
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:28 AM »

Thanks!

Luna Lovegood

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 01:03:29 PM »

you're my new best friend.

Straif

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 01:49:13 PM »

Such is the way of the masses...why do you think Twilight is so bloody popular?
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Khoela

• Khoela's tumblr
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:05 AM »

you're my new best friend.
Hi new best friend! :D But I think I might have just managed to vocalize what a lot of people were thinking...

Khoela

• Khoela's tumblr
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 07:25:33 AM »

Such is the way of the masses...why do you think Twilight is so bloody popular?
I think it's popular because it's an easy, fast read that doesn't require a huge time or intellectual commitment and also has a character that it is easy to put yourself in the place of because she's so generic. My mom once said that "twilight is like a twinkie: You eat it, and you know it's bad for you, but you enjoy it while you're eating it, and then when you're done, you look at your plate and think, "why did I just eat that? It was disgusting."

Straif

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 09:11:04 AM »

You're mom sums it up pretty damn good.
And DO NOT get me started on Bella's genericness. God. If I had a choice, I'd capture her, cut out her brain, and replace it with the preserved one of Hester Shaw. Poor girl deserves something better for what she's been through. Shaw, I mean, not Bella.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Khoela

• Khoela's tumblr
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 06:59:11 AM »

You're mom sums it up pretty damn good.
And DO NOT get me started on Bella's genericness. God. If I had a choice, I'd capture her, cut out her brain, and replace it with the preserved one of Hester Shaw. Poor girl deserves something better for what she's been through. Shaw, I mean, not Bella.
What's Hester Shaw from? I see the name a lot on the internet :O

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12