Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 56

Author Topic: The Unpopular Opinion Book Group  (Read 32128 times)

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
The Unpopular Opinion Book Group
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »

Ever feel like you're the only one who DOESN'T like a book series? Story of my life. Here's a place to vent. Even if people don't agree with your tastes, we'll make a pact not to go "OMG NOEZ SRSLY IT"S SO GOOD U JST DIDN"T GET IT!!11111111111" or similar messages.

On that note, my unpopular opinions:

Dislikes:

Inheritance Cycle - I'm not sure *why* people like this one. The writing is poor - good for a teen, but not published book quality - and the plot is horribly derivative. Look at the plot for the first Star Wars movie. Look at Eragon. ... 'Nuf said. Plus, the kid's a Gary Stu with a potential sociopathic personality disorder.

Gone - Eh, I've only read the first one, so maybe they get better. However, I think decent editing could have made this book shorter and more compact. Also, it sacrifices any character development (again, at least in the first one, but with the amount of pages you should get some) in exchange for plot twists every few pages.

Mortal Instruments - Sorry, but I'm very over 'normal girl finds out she's SUPER SPECIAL and all the boys want her and she has to save the world with the hot guy' plot.

What books do you guys feel alone in your distaste for?

Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

kristina-la

• through your strength all my fears will fade away
    • tumblr
Re: The Unpopular Opinion Book Group
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 10:24:40 AM »

*eye twitch*
I'll be faithful to Gone no matter what. keep reading Deca.

I feel this way about Hunger Games. strongly.
I really enjoyed the first book....but as the series goes on...i just don't connect with any of the characters (I like finnick...but that's as far as it goes. he's an entertaining charrie. that's it)

Luna Lovegood

• Westerforum's Resident David Hater
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:28:15 AM »

Fine, I'll say it, I really didn't like Uglies all that much It was bad, but it wasn't the best book around.  And I couldn't even finish Peeps

Eragon. I just don't like it, it does clock for me. . .

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 10:31:33 AM »

*eye twitch*
I'll be faithful to Gone no matter what. keep reading Deca.

I don't have enough time to devote to that long of a book series I don't like. :/
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 10:34:28 AM »

hhmm yes. good point.

Well, other than Hunger games (and...the obvious Twilight) I don't have beef with anything else.

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 10:38:54 AM »

Ooh, Twilight, aye. But that's not really unpopular. There's a devoted group of haters.

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »

ahahhaha i know :P (however....i hated it from the begining :P)

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »

The grammar errors. *shudders*

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 10:52:17 AM »

hahaha. I couldn't get past the second book. I think...they are hiding somewhere in my house. (the onyl book I feel tempted to burn when I go camping....)

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 12:28:42 PM »

I feel the same way about the Inheritance Cycle as you do Deca. I read the first one(well almost all the way through but I quit). It was poorly written and boring. And a total Star Wars rip off. It might have been you who I found that out from before where you pointed several similarities. I also wasn't THRILLED by Mortal Instruments. It was alright but eh . . .my favorite character was Isabelle and she is underplayed.

**WESTERFORUM RESIDENT KING OF LOGIC**

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »

At last, a place I can vent. Okay, here we go;

Twilight: Goes with out saying. Duh. But I dislike it because it miss-shows Forks, which I have actually been to and lived in for several weeks. And Bella is obviously Myer's younger girl self brought to character life.

Inheritance Cycle: Tridcagirl nailed it on the head. It's midvile Star Wars. And Ergaon is obviously Paoleni's self insert. I feel ashamed to share the same first name with him.

Mortal Instruments: Haven't read much of it, but I don't really like fantasy, also, one of the books shares a title with a much more superior steampunk book that no one knows of.

Hunger Games: Probably more of a personal thing because I know about the military and stuff. But really, kids killing each other for entertainment isn't exactly a new idea. Also, I hate how it's getting so much attention while other, better books (pretty much anything by the man who hosts this site) languish in obscurity. And it didn't even have the dignity to burn out like the Golden Compass did. What do I have to do to stop it, kill Everdeen with my bare hands?

Maximum Ride: This one really hurts. Patterson could have done SO MUCH with this series...and he squandered it. And, of course, the main character can't go four seconds without snarking even when she's not in danger.

So...once again, what everyone else on here hates.

Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 01:18:24 PM »

Ooh Maximum Ride is a tough one. THE FIRST THREE BOOKS ARE SACRED!!!! After that it went downhill but came back up a bit on the last 2 books, but, yes, it has been squandered.

About the Hunger Games . . .I don't like ragging on things just because of a similar idea or concept. There really aren't any original concepts after a certain amount of time. Although I think Battle Royale is far superior to Hunger Games.

Leviathan: I know it's a Westerfeld book, but I just didn't get what made it so HUGE. It was kind of lagg-ish to me when I was reading it.

**WESTERFORUM RESIDENT KING OF LOGIC**

Straif

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »

Huh. I didn't really like the first three. Although I did like to think that, should someone create fabricated humans, they'd look something like Max's flock.

Battle Royale was incredible. And yes, I actually know of what you speak.

As for Leviathan, yeah, it's not for everyone. Your consensus is actually pretty common. It certainly didn't sell as well as hoped, or Scott-la would have done an Extra's and pulled a fourth book out of nowhere. Also, Goliath really dragged. And there wasn't nearly enough Germans being eaten by tiny flying sharks.
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »

ah leviathan. yeah...I'm still not sure what I think about it. I mean...it was an enjoyable read...but not OMR!

Straif

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »

Again a shared oppinion.
Resident Halo Fanatic
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 56