Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56

Author Topic: The Unpopular Opinion Book Group  (Read 32101 times)

Eraisuithiel

Re: The Unpopular Opinion Book Group
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »

Yeah, I couldn't get into Leviathan either. The first book was okay, but I still found it kind of... meh. Same with Fallen by Lauren Kate. I still haven't finished it :I

kristina-la

• through your strength all my fears will fade away
    • tumblr
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »

Fallen. Ugh. I still don't understand what's so good about it. It's really quite horrible. It's so boring! Needs more action.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 03:49:21 PM »

Haven't read that one. Don't think I will, if you think its bad.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »

I bought Fallen over a year ago, because I had a bunch of people recommend it to me, and I'm not even half way through it yet :p

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »

The first one wasn't great...but it was ok. The second one was the last nail in the coffin. It had like no plot line. Nothing happened!
The third...was alright. A bit better but still really predictable

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 01:37:15 AM »

Fallen. ARGH It was Twilight and it didn't even try to not be obvious.

Girl moves to new school, some guy starts shooting her dirty looks. Other guy is perfectly nice to her, but she likes broody dude because I have no clue - she likes abusive relationships? Turns out that there are two races of angels fighting, and broody dude feels super protective of her and they're in love in two seconds. It's awful.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 02:30:21 AM »

It is awful. I mean-it's better than twilight (because at least angels were not ruined completely like twilight) but it still sucks and I don't even want to spend money on the next one...but I will because I like finishing things (except twilight. I will never finish)

gavinfuzzy

• "I Shall Stand... ...The Rest Shall Fall"
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 02:40:08 AM »

Huh. I didn't really like the first three. Although I did like to think that, should someone create fabricated humans, they'd look something like Max's flock.

Battle Royale was incredible. And yes, I actually know of what you speak.

As for Leviathan, yeah, it's not for everyone. Your consensus is actually pretty common. It certainly didn't sell as well as hoped, or Scott-la would have done an Extra's and pulled a fourth book out of nowhere. Also, Goliath really dragged. And there wasn't nearly enough Germans being eaten by tiny flying sharks.

Goliath was dragged? I find it was too short to just conclude it this way, and the ending was rushed, despite it being over 500 pages, and my friends kept doing the "So hardcore" meme when they saw such a thick book. XD

But yeah, i'm probably the only one who finds it rushed.  :P
Please hold while I create a new sig~

Check out my Deviant Art too ^_^ http://gavinlimkj.deviantart.com/

Straif

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 03:34:30 AM »

No, the size was fine. I actually had to read for a whole day to finish it. The story was the drag for me. I went into the book expecting to see glorious, horrendus battles between Clankers and Darwinists. WWI in our world was bad; having giant mechs and possibly flying sharks would make it even worse.
Instead; teen angst. And lots of it. That was the drag for me. Too much talking, not enough fighting.

And no, you are not the only one who finds it rushed. I do, my girlfriend does (and raged so at Westerfeld when he came to Seattle, in character, none the less) and a lot of the other fans of the series do as well.
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 04:02:36 AM »

lol WWI was bad because they were all stuck in trenches. there wasn't that many epic battles. it was a stalemate....hense the trenches.

Straif

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 04:21:47 AM »

Ah, that's a misconseption; the trenches were only on the Western Front, and even then it wasn't for a huge amount of time. Elsewhere in Europe there were actual battles. And, really, you think trenches would stand for very long if one side has walkers and the other...I don't know, some kind of giant fabricated worm-thing that could eat through them?
Resident Halo Fanatic

gavinfuzzy

• "I Shall Stand... ...The Rest Shall Fall"
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 12:51:54 PM »

No, the size was fine. I actually had to read for a whole day to finish it. The story was the drag for me. I went into the book expecting to see glorious, horrendus battles between Clankers and Darwinists. WWI in our world was bad; having giant mechs and possibly flying sharks would make it even worse.
Instead; teen angst. And lots of it. That was the drag for me. Too much talking, not enough fighting.

And no, you are not the only one who finds it rushed. I do, my girlfriend does (and raged so at Westerfeld when he came to Seattle, in character, none the less) and a lot of the other fans of the series do as well.

I took over a week and a half to complete Goliath, I was kinda reading slow on purpose... like I do with good books. Plus, it feels like you've been ripped off your money when you complete a book in a day, like how I read my Dan Brown novels. XD
Please hold while I create a new sig~

Check out my Deviant Art too ^_^ http://gavinlimkj.deviantart.com/

Straif

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 01:05:05 PM »

Agreed.
Resident Halo Fanatic

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 02:01:29 PM »

lol. Im just weary about the war he picked. I mean. I get that he liked wwi (I love learning about it too. it's far more interesting that wwii...for me) but I think WWII would have made a better setting somehow for clanker vs beaties.

Straif

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 02:14:28 PM »

I agree heartily. WWII was much bigger. The Pacific theatre, for example. Kamikazi Japanese soldiers with living bombs, anyone? American living flame throwers? The Darwinist equivililent of the atomic bomb? Awesome.
Though something tells me Westefeld wouldn't have made it into a real war if he'd chosen WWII. He cut out most of the actual WWI (which pisses me off to no end).
Resident Halo Fanatic
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56