Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Pretty Clique: Mils  (Read 1328 times)

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
Pretty Clique: Mils
« on: May 08, 2012, 12:57:42 PM »

So, I was re-reading Pretties today, and as I read an old idea came back to me. I thought up this clique way back when I first read the series, and it's been rattling around inside my head for a while now. I might turn it into something for a fanfiction as well. Tell me what you guys think of it;

Official Name: Militias, AKA "Mils"

Purpous/Main Clique Activity: Military History, battle and tactic re-enactments, pre-enactments of fictional battles, party "invasions", costumery. Secretly: staying "crystal" or "frosty" (AKA "bubbly" in Crim-speak).

Signature Clothing Items: Either camo or olive-drab clothing, recreated military gear from 20th and 21st centuries or fictional wars. Recreated non-weaponry gear (parachutes, carbiners, climbing rigs, etc.)

Tattoos: Standard new pretty mixture, with additional clique required ones, mainly a rank on the right shoulder. Most have personalised ones relating to their codenames (see below) or recreations of actual/fictional military tattoos.

Nicknames: Multiple ways to address each other; standard names, former ugly insult nicknames (Squint, Mouse, Freckles, used mainly by newbies to the clique), ranks (Private, Corporal, Sergeant, etc, based on time with the clique and level of "mil-ness"), military-phonetic language translations of first names (Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo), stolen ones from real and fictional military personnel ("Goose", "Maverick", "Stonewall") and personalised codenames earned from either the initiation ritual or through their time with the clique ("Dauntless", "Coaster", "Gen").

Misc: Invented a new unit of measurement, the "mag". Similar to the Crims "milli-Helen", except related to power and aggression rather than beauty. Derived from the word "magazine", the ammunition storage device for most Rusty firearms. Usually described in fractions for use in measuring actions: "Half-mag", "Third-mag". Most often used to measure an action's level of "mil-ness" (for example, Tally's jump off of the party tower in Uglies would be an "eighth-mag". Compared to, say, purpousfully prematurly recycling a nano-fabricated paracute to litterally dive-bomb a pair of love-making pretties, which would be a "full Mag and a half".

Current Leader: Asher "Gen" Seaguard.

History: The Mils started similiarly to Zane's Crims; in Uglyville. Except, unlike the Crims, which was more about tricking currently, the Mils started off looking into the big "tricks" of the past; wars. Their leader, Asher Seaguard, had a facination with the subject that wasn't satisfied by what the teachers and mentors told him of it, and formed the clique to find out more with the help of like-minded uglies. During this time, they merely discussed war and the things related to it, and once took a trip to the Rusty Ruins to play urban warfare amongst the crumbling hulks of buildings, but eventually they're research eventually became their lifestyle, and when they were given the pretty operation they took the clique with them. Now boosted by the everything available to new pretties, they went from reading about war to emulating it. And, secretly, their focus also shifted, like the Crims, to fighting the bubblehead surge, though they themselves (aside from Asher, who, due to genetic problems, was uneffected by the surge without Special Circumstances knowing) didn't know what they were fighting against.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:38:24 PM by Straif5 »
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Shax

Re: Pretty Clique: Mils
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »

Its good...but dr. Cable wouldnt put up with it..she would shut it down right when it started.

Straif

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 01:57:15 PM »

She let the Crims go, didn't she? Besides, they aren't technically doing anything wrong unless they go ahead and attack someone.
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Shax

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »

True...i guess it could work. Theres the bshers as well

Straif

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 02:04:02 PM »

And the Twisters with their weridness. Additionally, since Asher is cured without them knowing it, he knows how to toe the line with things.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 02:08:48 PM »

They sound more like they would be in Aya's society.

**WESTERFORUM RESIDENT KING OF LOGIC**

Straif

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »

Actually, that's where I originally had them. Then I decided that they'd start a bit further back. This is the proto-Mils group, then once the Mind Rain comes the become a full-on unit of awesomness. I actually had this scene with them parachuting into Nana Love's 1000 Faces party and Asher getting sprayed with exploding cake.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Reenie-La

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:50:29 AM »

Must make this comment:

Add an 'F' between the 'L' and the 'S' xDDD

MIL_S

LMAO!

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 09:56:18 AM »

@Reenie you mean like MAN I LOVE FRIDAYS SO!!!!!

**WESTERFORUM RESIDENT KING OF LOGIC**

Reenie-La

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »

@Reenie you mean like MAN I LOVE FRIDAYS SO!!!!!

Of course I do ;)

Straif

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 10:47:19 AM »

Someone is going to make that comment at one point or another in the story, it must happen.
Resident Halo Fanatic