Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stephenie Meyer plagiarized Twilight  (Read 5048 times)

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
Stephenie Meyer plagiarized Twilight
« on: May 15, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »

Twilight(the first couple books or so) is really a mix of The Vampire Diaries and The Southern Vampires/Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood novels.

The Vampire Diaries
-Normal high school girl is caught between two vampires, one who legitimately cares for her, and one who just wants her because the other has her(at first).
-The small town is rumored to have first been settled by natives, coincedentally, one of the native's descendants is a werewolf and the curse has been passed down through family
-The three first main baddies are all vampires; Damon:the one who wants Elena for just her blood and because his brother HAS her; Katherine:the female vampire who is the original lover of both the brothers; Klaus: the maker of Katherine who is a "bad" vampire with not much other personality.
-Bonnie is psychic
-Elena becomes a vampire

True Blood
-Sookie, a human waitress, has the ability to read the minds of others, but not vampires. This is her reason for liking Bill(the vampire of a better nature) at first.
-Two vampires find interest in Sookie, Bill(the "good" vampire) and Eric(the vampire with only bloodlust for Sookie(at first))
-A werewolf later comes into play making this love triangle a square

Twilight
-Normal high school girl becomes the focus of a vampire who is of the "good" nature(Edward) and a vampire that only wants her for blood and because the other vamp has her(James)
-The small town is rumored to have been settled by natives who happen to be a line of werewolves
-one of the werewolves comes into play to make a love triangle
-There are three original vampire baddies; James-the one who wants Bella for blood and because Edward has her; Victoria: the female vampire who is James lover; Laurent: the other "bad" vampire with not much other personality.
-Edward can read minds and originally is interested in Bella because he can't read hers
-Alice is psychic
-Bella becomes a vampire
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:06:42 AM by Seth-la »

**WESTERFORUM RESIDENT KING OF LOGIC**

Bea-la

Re: Stephenie Meyer plagerized Twilight
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »

Interesting, but not really plagiarism.  :P

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
Re: Stephenie Meyer plagiarized Twilight
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 11:05:25 AM »

Plagiarism is actually the use of someone else's ideas without citation. It doesn't matter if you change the names or tweak little things, it doesn't make it your own. Research papers teach you that. All that paraphrasing doesn't need to be sited crap they teach early on is just a lie so you don't kill yourself before you get to real research papers.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 11:07:05 AM by Seth-la »

Polandeer

• I Don't Post Much
    • Operation Observation
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »

There's a difference between getting ideas and plagiarism. Nothing is original:
http://www.everythingisaremix.info/nothing-is-original/
http://www.everythingisaremix.info/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcvd5JZkUXY

Therefore, under you definition, everything is plagiarism except everything natural.
~Westerforum Highly-Conservative Master SPEED POSTER AND TREE CLIMBER!~

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 12:51:10 PM »

There's a difference between getting ideas and plagiarism. Nothing is original:
http://www.everythingisaremix.info/nothing-is-original/
http://www.everythingisaremix.info/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcvd5JZkUXY

Therefore, under you definition, everything is plagiarism except everything natural.
You don't have to down talk everyone KDE. I get that people can have similar ideas. I've defended many books, such as Hunger Games, when people say that she just stole the idea from Battle Royale or The Running Man, etc. It's one thing to have a similar concept, it's another thing to have a carbon copy.

With a similar concept . . .THAT'S ALL THERE IS. There is almost NOTHING else that is the same. If I had said that Stephenie Meyer had plagiarized because she wrote ABOUT VAMPIRES I would have been talking in a way that your comment applies to. That is just ignorant. Instead I pointed several parellels in her story to two other stories that supported the idea that she took more than a concept.

If you found an idea or opinion that you liked and then you stated your opinion(which was the same as you had found, say online) and you used similar points to support yourself as the online source used in an essay for school then you would get busted for plagiarism and probably get an F.

EDIT: Oh and google plagiarize and look at the top definition provided by dictionary.com(this is what it says in case you don't search it)
"Take(the work or an idea of someone else) and pass it off as one's own"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:58:09 PM by Seth-la »

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:16:25 PM »

I'm just going to say, I don't care if she actually did plagerise or not, I'm going to use this to bash down Twilight fans who get up in my face.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 01:18:44 PM »

Please do, I got so tired of Twi-hards whining when Vampire Diaries became a tv show, saying how IT was a rip off of TWILIGHT! IT'S ALMOST 10 YEARS OLDER!

Straif

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 01:20:41 PM »

Is it? Interesting. I don't really follow that whole vampire romance thing. I'd rather rip one apart or step on it with a mech than kiss it.
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 01:27:15 PM »

Yeah, I'm sad to say I have some guilty pleasure books like Vampire Diaries. Although I find L.J. Smith's supernatural stuff to be much more sophisticated. In her Night World series she explains Vampires scientifically, they have an adaptation in their blood that causes them to have all those great abilities(better strength, speed, etc.) but their blood lost the ability to carry oxygen, so they must take human(or animal) blood so that they can get oxygen and the whole thing about "thirst" is really a feeling of slowly drowning when they start to run out of oxygen and human blood cells.

Straif

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 01:36:46 PM »

Hey, to each their own. And that explanation makes a lot of sense. Super human abilities would come at a cost, I think.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 01:38:26 PM »

EXACTLY!!! That's part of the reason I like L.J. Smith's books.

Straif

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »

Backs up the strange things they do with cold, hard science and reality. I like that. Part of the reason I hate magic; not enough rules, far to many things that you can and can't do for no reason.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 01:43:01 PM »

I still love magic and all that stuff but I tend to back it up in my head even if the author doesn't. ;)

Straif

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »

Same here. Even when it's not magic I do that. I have head canon explanations for most of the stuff in Leviathan and Uglies.
Resident Halo Fanatic

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 09:18:15 PM »

I don't know... I mean, a lot of the stuff seems similar, but stuff like love triangles and revenge plots pop up everywhere. I don't think you could really accuse her of plagarism. That's a serious accusation for an author, and you usually need like, identical blocks of text to really say it's that.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***
Pages: [1] 2