Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stephenie Meyer plagiarized Twilight  (Read 5050 times)

Polandeer

• I Don't Post Much
    • Operation Observation
Re: Stephenie Meyer plagiarized Twilight
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 11:48:58 PM »

I don't know... I mean, a lot of the stuff seems similar, but stuff like love triangles and revenge plots pop up everywhere. I don't think you could really accuse her of plagarism. That's a serious accusation for an author, and you usually need like, identical blocks of text to really say it's that.
Yes, identical sentences, blocks of text, and/or obvious paraphrasing.

... [1] It's one thing to have a similar concept, it's another thing to have a carbon copy....
[2] Oh and google plagiarize and look at the top definition provided by dictionary.com(this is what it says in case you don't search it)
"Take(the work or an idea of someone else) and pass it off as one's own"
[1] It never was a carbon copy:

Like I wrote earlier. It's not exact copying. It wouldn't be published in the first place if that was true.

[2] Dictionary.com, which BTW I don't like says:

and if that's too large:

[3] I haven't even read Twilight so I don't know
~Westerforum Highly-Conservative Master SPEED POSTER AND TREE CLIMBER!~

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 08:47:48 AM »

I don't know... I mean, a lot of the stuff seems similar, but stuff like love triangles and revenge plots pop up everywhere. I don't think you could really accuse her of plagarism. That's a serious accusation for an author, and you usually need like, identical blocks of text to really say it's that.
I was just putting what I thought out there. 

@KDE But as for plagiarism, it is plagiarism if you use the idea and just change some things(put it in your own words) if you don't cite it. High school research papers will teach you that. And when I said carbon copy I was talking metaphorically, I didn't legitimately think it was a carbon copy.

**WESTERFORUM RESIDENT KING OF LOGIC**

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »

According to my newspaper/journalism class, plagiarism is still plagiarism, even if you change a few of the words around. As an editor, I can't tell you the number of times idiots have turned in stories with a few words changed and totally deny it being plagiarized.  :P

I don't necessarily think Twilight was plagiarized. I think that it was written in the boom of vampire book and Meyer just didn't put in enough folklore, enough research, enough myth to truly justify it as an original (and when I say original, I mean truly unique) piece. If more thought was put into it, it could have been a much better series, albeit Meyer's writing skills which I don't find up to par with other author's.
"Help! One of the geeks has escaped! GEEK ON THE LOOSE! GET A NET!"

*~* WESTERFORUM'S RESIDENT SPAZ & BEAST-LA*~*

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 01:00:24 PM »

Thank you Beth! This topic now isn't even really about Twilight but the definition of plagiarism. Our English teachers(junior and senior year teachers both; I had the senior teacher this year for Gifted English) are very strict about that and they make sure we KNOW not to pull that stuff.

Bea-la

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »

lol, What about the Eragon series?

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »

lol, What about the Eragon series?

Again, it's not technically 'plagiarism', just a blatant ripoff. I mean, a lot of people know he copied the story arc of Star Wars exactly, but it's not actually punishable.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 12:32:45 AM »

Especcially since Lucas technically copied a lot of other stuff to make Star Wars in the first place...
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »

With Eragon you can seriously match exact scenes. It's ridiculous.

Lucas, I know, followed the Hero's Journey. Is that what you mean?
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »

I honestly think that Lucas could sue Paolini based on what I hear from you guys.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 10:13:06 AM »

He would...but he's already swimming in $1000 bills. He doesn't NEED more money.

And yes, pretty much.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 10:52:14 PM »

I honestly think that Lucas could sue Paolini based on what I hear from you guys.

That's the thing. Since it's not actually plagarism, it's not actually sue-able.

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2012, 01:14:21 PM »

Ehh, a lawyer could easily argue it being plagiarism. Court is very tricky like that. Plus . . .people sue for the stupidest things, something like that should have a greater chance of winning than those things did(such as a burnt tongue because coffee was hot)

Yuui11

• https://m.fanfiction.net
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 04:34:56 AM »

This is very old, but I've been waiting to say this since the first Twilight book début-ed. I read the Night World series by L.J. Smith first and while reading Twilight saga, had noted many similarities that I hadn't found in other novels. It was made very obvious that Stephanie Meyer had gone around and took things from other works and used them in her books. Apparently she never wrote it with the intention of publishing it, so it makes sense that she did this, but it's wrong that she made much fame off the series when other series like Night World hadn't.
Pages: 1 [2]