Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 340

Author Topic: CONFESSIONS (FRIVOLOUS)  (Read 290504 times)

Catvomitsky

• It ain’t so long since you were flying high
Re: CONFESSIONS (FRIVOLOUS)
« Reply #2595 on: March 09, 2016, 06:45:39 AM »

What did you think it meant? XD

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #2596 on: March 09, 2016, 07:01:51 AM »

Well I've been misreading engulfed my whole life
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #2597 on: March 09, 2016, 07:07:16 AM »

Wait you just now realized it was engulfed and not enfulged?

Higher, further, faster

Catvomitsky

« Reply #2598 on: March 09, 2016, 07:07:52 AM »

That's hilarious Pan XD

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #2599 on: March 09, 2016, 07:22:13 AM »

Wait you just now realized it was engulfed and not enfulged?
Yes ;-;
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #2600 on: March 09, 2016, 07:27:16 AM »

Okay so I was thinking about how much I have to do and I was like wow it'd be nice to have a time turner so I could get all this done and not worry about how much time it'll take me and yeah but then I was like wait but if I finish one thing and then go back in time to finish another thing, wouldn't I then cancel out the first thing I did? So like in Harry Potter when Hermone had all those classes she was going to shed go to one and then use the time turner to go to the other, so then wouldn't that mean in the new time line her attendance to the first class wouldn't have counted? But she still got the information and assignments and could then do those and study for exams so is that all Hogwarts cared about? Unless Mcgonagall was like 'hi teachers her absences are always excused' so yeah okay that probably happened but then that still doesn't explain my predicament of if I had a time turner and used up the same time to do twO different assignments, wouldn't it be as though one of those assignments never happened? UNLESS. Okay unless you go into the future after completing one assignment, turn it in, then go back and do the same with the other. Would that work??? No I don't think so because you'd still be using the same time slot so one of them couldn't have happened in the same time line so theoretically in my situation a time turner would be useless.

Higher, further, faster

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #2601 on: March 09, 2016, 07:32:32 AM »

AND TO ADD TO THAT if Hermione were to take notes in these classes wouldn't those be gone as well if she created a different time line to a different class? THEN WHAT WOULD SHE STUDY FROM?!

Higher, further, faster

Catvomitsky

« Reply #2602 on: March 09, 2016, 07:33:14 AM »

HP time travel doesn't use timelines from what they described. There'd just be two of her existing in the same time. So if she goes back in time one hour to do the assignment at 4:00, there'd be two Hermiones existing from 3:00 - 4:00. They're not supposed to interact because it would create paradoxes, although that's pretty glossed over. So she'd just experience more time in her personal timeline, but it wouldn't create alternate timelines for other people. I'm surprised she didn't age more from using it for hours everyday, actually.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #2603 on: March 09, 2016, 07:36:34 AM »

That makes sense. So but then how does it go back to just being one Hermione?

Higher, further, faster

Catvomitsky

« Reply #2604 on: March 09, 2016, 07:40:00 AM »

Well it's the same Hermione, just at different points in her timeline. So the one that's younger by an hour would use the time turner to go back an hour, which is how the "other" her got there in the first place.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #2605 on: March 09, 2016, 07:41:54 AM »

Mmmmmmmmmm k.

Higher, further, faster

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #2606 on: March 09, 2016, 07:46:56 AM »

SO LIKE OKAY YEAH PARADOXES so if you were to go back in time and accidentally saw yourself, would you recognize that it's you? Because like our brains supposedly register us as looking a bit different than how we actually look?? Which actually doesn't make sense to me tbh but like if that was a thing would the past you know that the future you, the one that just got there or whatever, was you besides the fact that (if it's on the same day) you'd be wearing the same clothes? Like obviously the future you would know because you're thE one that went back in time so you'd know where you were and what you were doing but the one in the past wouldn't.

Higher, further, faster

Catvomitsky

« Reply #2607 on: March 09, 2016, 07:59:42 AM »

Yes, you'd probably register it as you, unless you just happen to be really out of touch with how you look? If you saw yourself out of the corner of your eye, you may not, tho. If you recognized yourself, that might lead to paradoxes, even one version of yourself killing the other. My personal theory of why this isn't explained is that paradoxes like that get erased, so they never hear about them.

If Hermione saw herself she'd probably realize how and why it was her, but if someone went back to a time in which they didn't know they had a time turner, they probably wouldn't, I suppose.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:01:59 AM by Catvomitsky »

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #2608 on: March 09, 2016, 08:02:10 AM »

But what if you visited a much younger version of yourself? Like the younger you wouldn't really know what you look like when you're older so how would they recognize it as themselves?

Higher, further, faster

Catvomitsky

« Reply #2609 on: March 09, 2016, 08:09:05 AM »

I don't think they went back more than a day or so, because they have to turn it back once for each hour, and they were regulated by the ministry. Plus there's the fact that if they went back that far, they'd likely use up most of their life getting back to the point they left since they can't travel forward in time.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 340