Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 52

Author Topic: That AWESOME moment when...  (Read 48310 times)

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
Re: That AWESOME moment when...
« Reply #720 on: September 02, 2017, 09:31:14 AM »

Yep. Honors classes are worth +1 and AP and dual enrollment classes are worth +2

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #721 on: September 03, 2017, 08:37:04 AM »

my school does that, its hell because i can never remember how to calculate GPA and whenever people ask me what it they're always so shocked that i don't know
BOTTOM TEXT

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #722 on: September 03, 2017, 12:11:36 PM »

Oh, your school doesn't have an online thing where you can check? That's what mine does. Although to be fair I can also check class rank on there and I didn't know what mine was until I saw it yesterday even though people always ask me

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #723 on: September 03, 2017, 12:21:28 PM »

My school lets me check my letter grades/percents but not my GPA and definitely not class rank. I have to go ask my counselor to put it on college applications because she can't even tell me for curiosity's sake :P
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #724 on: September 03, 2017, 12:37:52 PM »

Huh, I can understand the class rank thing because some people get way too competitive and even change their schedules when they find out someone above them is taking higher level classes, but it seems pointless not to give students access to their GPA. If your school's guidance office is anything like mine, they'd take like 10 minutes just to find a kid's GPA and nothing would ever get accomplished there

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #725 on: September 03, 2017, 12:57:38 PM »

There might be a way to find out your GPA?? My school doesn't weight them and I've gotten straight A's though, so for me I know I've got a 4.0 :P
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #726 on: September 03, 2017, 01:17:31 PM »

Niiice. I'm still salty about my teacher who was a really unfair grader and whose class I ended with a B+ in. She threw pens at people tho and believed that liars get turned into cows so I guess I shouldn't put too much stock in her opinion of my B+ quality work

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #727 on: September 04, 2017, 02:56:35 AM »

anyone who seriously believes that automatically forfits the validity of their opinion, dont stress about it. also damn Pan

cant see my GPA either, and my school has like 8 counselors and somehow none of them r ever useful so im just not gonna bother. people in my school get around it by keeping track of their grades throughtout the school year and then using The Formula to calculate their GPA, but the formula is rlly complicated and im lazy as fuck
BOTTOM TEXT

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #728 on: September 04, 2017, 02:59:09 AM »

The Formula reminds me of when I'd help people slack off by calculating how much work they could not do and still end with an A (or a B, if an A was mathematically impossible by then). Good times

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #729 on: September 04, 2017, 03:04:43 AM »

that happens so much at my school oh god. last year i knew a girl in chemisty who figured out that if she showed up for the final and got more then a 15% she would still get an A, it was awesome
BOTTOM TEXT

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #730 on: September 04, 2017, 03:09:40 AM »

Lmao, that's great. I always try my best (or marginally close to my best) on finals regardless just because I want to assess what I've learned in the course, but if it's any other class than math or something where practice is useful, catch me not doing homework ever

Of course, now that I'm in college the homework is where half of the learning is done since there's less classroom hours. Darn.

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #731 on: September 04, 2017, 03:16:16 AM »

lol same. im one of Those Assholes who dont have to do too much work to do fairly well in a class, and every year since highschool started i've been waiting for that to bite me in the ass. im fairly confident that im not gonna fall on my face until college, but hopefully ill get my shit together by then. at this point im just resigned to my fate

so i've heard, but i also heard that its a lot like AP classes. idk if thats true or not, but theres still hope i guess
BOTTOM TEXT

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #732 on: September 04, 2017, 03:22:03 AM »

Same to all of that first paragraph. It's kinda bitten me in the ass a few times but mostly with procrastination on projects and stress, otherwise it's worked great for me. I'm sure you'll be fine

In my experience the only thing in common they have with AP is the level of course material, otherwise it could not be more different imo. But I guess every college and AP class is different, so that may not be the case for you. If you want to get the most out of college classes though you have to be self-motivated, whereas in AP classes you have to do a lot of self-study but at least you get a lot more class time and the teachers probably assign a lot more work just because they get fired if their pass rate is too low

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #733 on: September 04, 2017, 03:31:21 AM »

thats actually comforting, cool

shit well im the opposite of self motivated so i guess ill just get ready for death. jk, i think ill be fine actually, im ok at studying when i absolutely need to. although honestly my AP teacher last year was sorta shit, but that was mostly cuz he's never taught an AP class before. after that whole thing im convinced ill be ok
BOTTOM TEXT

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #734 on: September 04, 2017, 03:34:08 AM »

Yeah, you'll probably learn quick. The only thing is that if you want to retain stuff (which you'll need to because you're majoring in it) then you gotta space out the reading/learning/studying, which can be easy to lose track of depending on how your professor assigns things. And yikes, not everyone's meant to teach AP for sure
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 52