Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: what would happen if everyone found out Deryn is a girl?  (Read 7089 times)

Andrew aka awesome

what would happen if everyone found out Deryn is a girl?
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »

what would happen if everyone found out Deryn is a girl?
i am a fan of star wars leviathan and pokemon and mythology, making me a star levikemon god!

TractionEra

• Half-truths Are Fun!
Re: what would happen if everyone found out Deryn is a girl?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:38:02 PM »

Best case: She's dishonourably discharged and sent home.
Worst case: She'd be hung.

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 12:10:08 AM »

They wouldn't hang a girl. As they say, too embarassing. They'd probably kick her out and give her a pension to keep her quiet. If word got out they'd be a laughingstock.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

TractionEra

• Half-truths Are Fun!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 12:41:57 AM »

Yes but if they did it would be a great opportunity for Clanker propaganda to exploit.

gavinfuzzy

• "I Shall Stand... ...The Rest Shall Fall"
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 12:44:25 AM »

That depends. In which point of time did people find out.  ;D
Please hold while I create a new sig~

Check out my Deviant Art too ^_^ http://gavinlimkj.deviantart.com/

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 01:22:09 AM »

Simply put; it wouldn't be a good thing.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

gavinfuzzy

• "I Shall Stand... ...The Rest Shall Fall"
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 01:44:32 AM »

But after receiving a medal and all, you'd think they'll be cool with it... except that the males will be shamed that a girl had outdone them in service quality... ( That sounded wrong, but yeah).
Please hold while I create a new sig~

Check out my Deviant Art too ^_^ http://gavinlimkj.deviantart.com/

Straif

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 01:52:40 AM »

Not at all. It's true. Though you would have thought the freaking Darwinists would be more sexually equal in things. Who better would know that there's no difference between males and females other than one chromosome than the Darwinists?
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

TractionEra

• Half-truths Are Fun!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 03:36:45 AM »

But after receiving a medal and all, you'd think they'll be cool with it... except that the males will be shamed that a girl had outdone them in service quality... ( That sounded wrong, but yeah).

There is a looong list of decorated soldiers who were executed for treason. The medal only adds to the embarrassment.

Straif

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 03:47:08 AM »

Look at the Soviets. Post Bolshivek revolution, having won something from the Tsar was pretty much a death sentence.
Resident Halo Fanatic

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 11:03:48 AM »

Nah. They'd be more pissed. Like I said, probably shut her up. Maybe prison, but it wasn't punishable by death.
Not at all. It's true. Though you would have thought the freaking Darwinists would be more sexually equal in things. Who better would know that there's no difference between males and females other than one chromosome than the Darwinists?

It may be a physical thing as well... at least in the US, females aren't allowed in some combat roles for both physical strength reasons and psychological crap. Apparently they think if a woman goes on a hostage mission and is injured, the men would save her and not the hostage. I don't think that's true, and if it is, it's not HER fault.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

Straif

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »

That hostage shit? Ain't true. I know a girl who was a Marine, went in on a mission like that. Lost most of her arm to an IED and she just kept going. Girls can do any job a boy can, and they can do some of them better.
Resident Halo Fanatic

TractionEra

• Half-truths Are Fun!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »

Females soldiers are equal to their male counterparts in many respects, but you can't just turn on 2,000+ years of military tradition in less than a century. Most militaries have been built around men and their strengths and weaknesses; women have been serving for less than 100 years in active combat roles and it'll take a lot more than tough female soldiers to update military policy. It took the death of millions in the trenches of WWI for them to abandon cavalry charges, and that change was made after the war.

Straif

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 04:36:57 PM »

Which is part of the reason I think that Westerfeld saying that WWI not happeneing is a GOOD thing...yeah, right. Now, instead of being mowed down by machine guns, those cavalry men are going to be blasted to bits by fabricated rockets...actually, that's not a bad thing. I wanted the Clankers to burn in Goliath, and that didn't happen. But now...they shoved off one ass-raping, and they just got themselves in line for an even BIGGER one.
Who wants to guess that America would nuke THEM too as well as Japan when WWII happens in the Leviathan universe?
Resident Halo Fanatic

Luna Lovegood

• Westerforum's Resident David Hater
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »

Let's not forget the fact that a lot of men, (Especially in that time.) Thought it was the woman's duty, and sole way to help out with a war, was to stay safe and home and be a baby factory and make more soldiers. With that sort of mentality in mind, yeah Deryn def would have been in trouble.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4