Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Genders?  (Read 3470 times)

Maze-la

• Tumblr
Genders?
« on: September 23, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »

I myself am getter very tired of thinking a guy is a girl and vise versa while chatting with them. I know it says on their profile whether they are male or female, but I was wondering if we should have an easier way to tell, like something in the signatures. I admit I'm lazy, and I almost never check a person's profile before assuming someone is or the other. If we would do something like this though, we would know right away what they are without any hard feelings and/or awkward moments. Does anyone agree?

Livy-Wa Sama

• I broke Jeph.
    • My tumblr :D
Re: Genders?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »

I think that's a good idea. Perhaps we could put a (m) or (f) in either our signatures or in the personal text. (Personally, I think putting it in the personal text would be easier to see)

Too punk rock for anything.
✧・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Reenie-La

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:35:16 AM »

Meh, I like the idea and I myself have experienced the embarrassment of assuming someone is a boy a girl, but I don't think a lot of people want their gender cluttering up their siggies of personal text.

Maze-la

• Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 01:29:18 AM »

I know, but I don't know where else we could put it! Maybe it could just be optional

Reenie-La

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 02:01:08 AM »

I know, but I don't know where else we could put it! Maybe it could just be optional

It definitely would be optional and that's the problem; profiles already offer this feature and everyone isn't going to take the time to put (m) or (f) in their siggie or personal text. And chances are, the people who's genders we are confused about won't be the ones putting in places other than the profile therefore making useless. Because someone like Fanna-wa, it's pretty easy to tell that she's a girl. But I dunno, maybe someone like me, Ruzzie, it could be hard to know if I'm a guy or a girl unless you know my real name. :P I'm not sure people have that problem with me tho, haha. So while it'd be nice to it out in broad day-light, it's just not practical. Now something like having a color coding system, like red for girls and blue for guys (like where the "Hero" member status thing is, have those bubbles be red or blue), then we could tell. But that would include the Developers of this place to do some editing and I doubt the Dev(s) would take the time to do that just so we can be lazy and not look at people's profiles.

Reenie-La

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 04:34:28 AM »

Yea, ya never know~! ;D

And it's because I'm so obviously custsie in all my writing, haha xD

Lexa-Wa

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 01:40:33 PM »

Its funny cause recently someone thought I wasa Guy on.here.... seriously what's guyish about Lexa?! But really ot should be optional cause usually its easy to tell. But I newbies are hard telling.
College man

Clouse-La

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 04:39:34 AM »

Everyone originally thought I was a girl...

Maze-la

• Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 05:07:30 AM »

Oh
Well, see, you're the perfect example. I didn't know what you were until now. Sometimes I don't even think about it.
Putting it on your profile would probably help too

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 05:22:34 AM »

I‘ve never had a problem telling if someone was a boy or a girl. And, if I couldn‘t tell, I just didn‘t bring it up because it doesn‘t matter to me. Anyway, I do think that, if there was a way, say under their post count, to show if the user was male or female it should be optional. Some people may just be gender-confused, y‘know? And getting called a girl when you‘re really a boy is not the end of the world.

Seth-la

• I made this for you!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:49:37 AM »

This is a good idea, and with all the clutter people already put in sigs and personal texts one little letter shouldn't make or break them.

**WESTERFORUM RESIDENT KING OF LOGIC**

Echo :)

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 11:55:18 AM »

If you're really confused just check their profile. If they're gonna release that info its probably already there... if its not an your confused just suggest that they put it on there... if you really wanna know its honestly not to much work to go to their profile and its already there vs. Having to beg admin to see if they can change forum settings... this is my opinion....
“He looks," Simon had once said to Isabelle, "like he's thinking about something deep and meaningful, but if you ask him what it is, he'll punch you in the face.” ~CoFA

Clouse-La

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 11:59:48 AM »

Oh
Well, see, you're the perfect example. I didn't know what you were until now. Sometimes I don't even think about it.
Putting it on your profile would probably help too

Eh, I mostly go on my iPad.  But I will be soon.

antanasantrasis

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 01:11:15 AM »

In my opinion M and F letters are not necessary. It could be useful if you want to find man/woman :)
Financial news about Stock Market

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 06:47:57 AM »

That's contradictory...if you think they're useful, then why did you say they were unnecessary.
Pages: [1] 2