Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Return of Bullies  (Read 2459 times)

Bow ties are Cool

Return of Bullies
« on: September 30, 2012, 10:23:46 PM »

Dear Mr Westerfeld and all of those in cyberspace,
when a bully is deleated Mr Westerfeld keeps their email so they cant log on with that, but what happens if they use another email address. The same goes for imputing your name, you could just make up a random name.
Bow ties are Cool ~ The Eleventh Doctor

Echo :)

Re: Return of Bullies
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 11:04:30 PM »

We've been through this a few times as a matter of fact. Usually we start by simply banning the user/ ip adress and usually we can tell when one of then returns... its not a fool proof problem, but we rarely have incidents like these...
“He looks," Simon had once said to Isabelle, "like he's thinking about something deep and meaningful, but if you ask him what it is, he'll punch you in the face.” ~CoFA

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:57:24 AM »

I don't think any bully on here is THAT devoted...that would be called an "internet troll", and there's really not much you can do to stop one except ignore it.
Though thankfully this site's pretty obscure even amongst Westerfeld fans...
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Atom277

• Doge <3
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 06:05:19 AM »

Just wondering....the IP address is a specific computer, right?  So what if they get a new one or go to a library or something?

IP is all computers on one internet connection, so they could use it at the library, but if we banned it at the library others couldnt use it there

Reenie-La

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 07:14:57 AM »

IP addressed reset themselves every time the internet box is turned off or loses power unexpectedly. The library shut off power to the internet every day so each day the library has a new IP address.

Atom277

• Doge <3
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 08:55:05 AM »

your Internal IP address will reset but your WAN one might, it depends on the ISP i believe

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 10:46:30 PM »

I think the forum has gotten pretty good at identifying repeat offenders. :/ We've had to.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

Polandeer

• I Don't Post Much
    • Operation Observation
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 09:51:45 AM »

your Internal IP address will reset but your WAN one might, it depends on the ISP i believe
Generally, unless the Public IP is dynamic, the IP will always stay the same. In addition, I do believe the use of https://www.torproject.org/ can change an IP.
~Westerforum Highly-Conservative Master SPEED POSTER AND TREE CLIMBER!~