Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A CD that fits Pretties PERFECTLY  (Read 2927 times)

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
Re: A CD that fits Pretties PERFECTLY
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 02:54:16 PM »

That's fine. Its a curse really. Especially when you get involved in say, a roleplay where the military is featured and original story you're basing the RP in was written by a person with no knowlage either (coughcoughMaximumRidecough)...I mean, really. Something tells me six bird kids aren't going to be a threat to ANYONE.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 03:02:08 PM »

Not just that but having the urge to override their supposedly SUPERIOR enemy with something realistic that would bring it to it's knees. Like blowing up a supersoldier with a grenade launcher.
What? Grenade launchers are real! There's the M203 on most American and NATO rifles, the Russians have their own version, there's the Mark 19...
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 03:05:49 PM »

The one I was RPing with didn't...nor did she know of the existence of napalm, thermobaric explosives, cluster munitions, afterburn for jet fighters, silencers, semtex, multiple launch rocket vehicles, half of the world's special operations forces and AC-130 gunships. She also knew nothing about calibers, because she believed that her character could shrug off the .50 caliber sniper shot my guy hit her with.
Yeah...no.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 03:13:43 PM »

Do you want explanations? I'm feeling really good right now. I like informing people about this stuff XD.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 03:33:19 PM »

Right then; (cracks knuckles)
Thermobaric explosive are just what they sound like; heat+pressure. Basically, when one goes off, it causes a massive wave of extremely fast, extremely dense flaming air to form. Anything caught in it is simultaniously burned and everything holding air crushed like a tin can. Lungs, for example. Eardrums. Eyes. Nasal passages. Internal organs. So on. Then, as if that's not bad enough, once the fireball burns out it causes a MASSIVE suction that sucks everything back towards it. Simply put, if you somehow survive the inital blast, you die by having your insides literally sucked out. Nasty stuff.
Cluster munitions are, basically, a bunch of tiny bombs inside one. Like a bomb shotgun.
Afterburn is a way for fighters to move faster by injecting extra fuel into their exhause gasses so it burns with more force.
Semtex is a plastic explosive, also known as C4. More stable than dynamite and more powerful. Used for demolitions work mostly.
A MLRV is a truck or other vehicle with many rocket tubes on it.
An AC-130 is a modified cargo plane with a lot of guns (specifically two 25mm gatling guns, a 40mm chain gun, and a 105mm artillery peice)
Special operations forces are...well, Spec ops. Just look at a Call of Duty game.
And finally, a .50 caliber round is a big bullet. Half an inch wide (caliber=inches, so 1 caliber=1 inch).
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 03:42:54 PM »

They're real, and have been used before.
Even better; the individual bombs explode. Look up "cluster bomb deployment" on YouTube to see what I mean.
Semtex is another name for it I'm pretty sure. The older version I believe. C4 stands for Composition 4...Semtex might be like, C2 or something.
Well there you go!
No worries, glad to spread the knowlage!
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 03:50:05 PM »

Vietnam I THINK...I'm not 100% sure. Obviously they haven't been used often. They're considered inhumane (big surprise right?)
They have cluster bombs in the Hunger Games? Well now, maybe I have to read it...wait, are they like, dropped from something, or is it a trap in the Games itself?
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »

Lots of reasons. But the way I see it, you hate the man pulling the trigger, not the weapon. Thats why I'll never actually join the military. I like their toys; I don't like them, specifically.
And on a related noted they WERE going to be used against some Erasers in a Max Ride RP...then the chick I was doing it with got pissed and said I was making things up and power-playing.
Is it really powerplaying for an Air Force lieutenant with a working radio call in an airstrike? Happens all the time in real life. And I mean, Erasers aren't human...
Got it. I remember hearing something about weaponised BEES. I really must read it now.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »

You probably wouldn't make it through bootcamp. Neither would I.

I'm not really sure honestly. I THINK it's where you make your character like a god basically and shrug off everything the other RPers do as nothing.
I WAS going to have my guy get caught in the suction and get spiked on a tree...

Huh. Nice.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 04:09:38 PM »

That's what I meant. I'm tough too, probably not as much as you, but I can hold my own doing exercise.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »

I'm not THAT impressive. I'm not spectacularlly athletic or strong, especially for a boy. I'm outclassed by most other girls in that.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »

Thats...not me. I'm a fucking pansy. Can't even look at my own blood for too long before I start to feel queasy.
You remind me of my first ex a lot. The one who tried to Kurt Cobain herself.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 04:46:31 PM »

Kurt Cobain was the lead singer for the Seattle band Nirvana. "Smells Like Teen Spirit"? He's best known for his suicide; blew his head off with a shotgun.
Same as Shiloh tried to do. Except she survived somehow.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 06:04:46 AM »

Just personality wise. She was like you before she started slipping into bipolarness. You're her as I like to remember her.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Straif

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »

Its true.
Resident Halo Fanatic
Pages: 1 [2] 3