Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: I am going to write a book  (Read 43865 times)

GeeBeezy

Re: I am going to write a book
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2014, 05:37:18 PM »

You are all forgiven....... OKAY! HOMEWORK TIME!   :D
List these things in order from most to least annoying, and why.....
-Prodigy characters
-The power of friendship as an actual thing
-Steampunk where everyone is white and British and there are pedal powered zeppelins and everyone wears goggles and top hats because.
-Mopey Vampires/Werewolves/characters that don't actually have that good a reason for their mopeyness
-Characters that could be so wonderful/badass if the author wasn't a dumdum
-The author having a favorite character [not a main character, a favorite character]
-Love triangles
-Token badass normal characters who aren't that great but are just there to show that "Muggles are just as good! Honest!"
-Emo kid who constantly feeds off of sympathy when they have no real problem in their life besides how "Lonely" and "Troubled" and "Misunderstood" they are [no offence to people who are actually depressed, I mean characters who essentially fake a condition because the author thinks that makes them "Edgy"]
-"Edgy" books...

On a semi serious note, I am actually genuinely curious as to your answers, so if you guys just wanna keep shooting the breeze like the bosses you are then don't let me stop ya!  ;) I really do love the conversations that have been happening on here, you guys have actually answered a lot of questions before I could even ask them! It's helped me to actually commit to knuckling down and hammering out some world-building.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leSj7SVX_dg

抹茶のマーブルレアチーズケーキ

All of human history is alcohol and horses.

ジャガイモはセクシーで

and suddenly I wasnt a fish anymore I was omnipresent

Seek and ye shall find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35fBK7kCTgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzClLu8DXlM

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2014, 05:44:27 PM »

Well then we'll certainly keep talking!
And I have to say all your points are solid...but your missing one really big one.

-People who refuse to do things that need to be done even though everyone around them and the situation and probably their own survival instincts are absolutely SCREAMING at them to do. Really...no one is THAT morally straight. Every human has a breaking point.
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

GeeBeezy

« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »

Aye
That can only work if the character is actually that morally straight that they are aware of the threat but refuse to compromise regardless, thats kind of the whole point of moral codes, if you break it at any point then there is no reason to keep it the rest of the time. E.G. Aang from last airbender. He doesn't kill people. AT ALL. He is entirely aware of what he could accomplish if he did. But he doesn't. Its not stupidity, its refusing to break, and when its portrayed like that you can empathise with the character and respect their decision.

抹茶のマーブルレアチーズケーキ

ジャガイモはセクシーで

Seek and ye shall find

GeeBeezy

« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2014, 08:24:38 PM »

Although I will add this one:
-People who when put in any situation containing conflict or hazards of any sort whatsoever will do NOTHING. They are not conscientious objectors, they are useless. If they trip, they will call for help. If they see a murderer running towards them, they will stand still and scream.

Aight, Rank away!  :)

抹茶のマーブルレアチーズケーキ

ジャガイモはセクシーで

Seek and ye shall find

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2014, 11:21:47 PM »

Well, I'm not sure about numbers - maybe I'll decide later; I don't have that much time now - but both love triangles and the power of friendship can be good if they're written well. And I think the author can have a favorite character as long as the character isn't favored in the writing.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Julia the Bookworm

« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2014, 12:24:31 AM »

Love triangles can work in two situations:

1# when its more making fun of the concept  a love triangle ( example the whole Deryn, Lillt, Alek thing where  Alek is completely oblivious to the situation.) or when its more of the idea of another person.( example one of my RP characters is in a relationship and is happy with it but feels kind guilty she's still loves her fiance who's been dead for several years, so I guess it's more of a Man vs self situation.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 05:03:49 AM by Julia the bookworm »

Straif

« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2014, 04:36:26 AM »

Yes, thats how you do a love triangle.
Unfortunaly its more often a scaled-down version of the harem mangas of Japan with one central character and two choices of lover.
Ex Bella, Edward and Jacob. Or Katniss, Peeta and Gale.
Or, I have to admit, I wrote something similar in one of my RPs...but then one of the girls defected to the enemy because she thought it would win the boys love and he promptly blew her apart with a gauss rifle.
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Julia the Bookworm

« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2014, 05:02:53 AM »

I kind of want to see Hunger Games parody fanfiction where Katniss dies and Petta & Gale get together.

Straif

« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2014, 05:05:24 AM »

They exist. They all suck.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Julia the Bookworm

« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2014, 05:07:03 AM »

That's too bad.

Straif

« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2014, 05:08:31 AM »

Most fanficiton are bad. Thats why they're fanfictions. They're written by the untalented masses who aren't imaginative enough to think up their own universe.
Well the majority of them are.
Resident Halo Fanatic

Areias

• "For you, a thousand times over."
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2014, 05:48:40 AM »

Love triangles can work in two situations:

1# when its more making fun of the concept  a love triangle ( example the whole Deryn, Lillt, Alek thing where  Alek is completely oblivious to the situation.) or when its more of the idea of another person.( example one of my RP characters is in a relationship and is happy with it but feels kind guilty she's still loves her fiance who's been dead for several years, so I guess it's more of a Man vs self situation.)

Nope. Love triangles work - like every other kind of plot device does - when the author makes it believable and relatable. That's the sole requirement. After all, story telling is the art of making your audience engage with you no matter what you write Even if it's cliche.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2014, 07:57:53 AM »

I've even read something with a "love quadrilateral" (one girl and three guys) that worked as a plot device.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Straif

« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2014, 08:35:24 AM »

What, you mean like a manga?
Resident Halo Fanatic

Luna Lovegood

• Westerforum's Resident David Hater
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »

I call that a reveres harem. . . .
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16