Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 364

Author Topic: Unlikely Allies  (Read 229445 times)

Blue

Re: Unlikely Allies
« Reply #3690 on: June 25, 2018, 10:24:12 AM »

"You can?" Andrew asked, looking up to meet her gaze.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #3691 on: June 25, 2018, 10:29:18 AM »

Clemence nodded, glancing down at the notebook. "Yeah," she said softly and reached out for it.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #3692 on: June 25, 2018, 11:06:04 AM »

Andrew handed her the book without question and leaned back on the couch.

Sunny frowned and sat on her hands. She wanted to reach out to Clemence and see what the book looked like in her mind. What was wrong with her, Sunny wondered? Why did she always want to peek in everyone's heads now?

Cole leaned in closer to look at the notebook over her shoulder. He couldn't read it, either.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #3693 on: June 25, 2018, 11:27:53 AM »

Clemence read over the page, worrying her lower lip. "It's uh. It's stuff about us," she said, looking up at Andrew with a worried expression. "Like, everything about us."

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #3694 on: June 25, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »

"Everything, like...really everything?" Andrew said. Dread coiled like a snake in the pit of his stomach.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #3695 on: June 25, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »

"I mean, not like specifics but it has our names, birthdays, where we live, our family..." her heart started beating faster as her eyes scanned the page. "Wait. It's talking about our...our DNA?"

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #3696 on: June 25, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »

“Your DNA? Like they’re fucking forensic scientists?” Cole muttered, his expression darkening.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #3697 on: June 25, 2018, 12:53:16 PM »

"I don't...I don't know. It just says how they like, collected it? I don't understand," Clemence was sounding a little more distressed now as she looked over it again.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #3698 on: June 25, 2018, 01:20:31 PM »

Cole put his hand on top of hers, both to still her movement and to block whatever was on the page. “I think that’s enough for now,” he said softly. “Maybe we should try to figure out why you can read it, but not us.”

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #3699 on: June 25, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »

Clemence glanced up at him but then nodded, glancing at the notebook before she shut it and set it aside.

Chris sat with his elbows on his knees and his hands clenched together against his mouth. He couldn't wrap his head around any of this, it was all getting pretty out there for him.

Ferris looked at Clemence worriedly, her own anxiety seeming to feed into his. "So...how can you read it?" he asked.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #3700 on: June 25, 2018, 11:17:49 PM »

Cole had a feeling he knew how, but it wasn't his business to share. He reached for Clemence's hand and gently squeezed it.

"Well," Andrew began slowly, "it's probably not related to being a hunter, because I can't read it."

Sunny looked over at Chris and put a hand on his back, rubbing slow circles between his shoulder blades.

(Poor Chris, lol.)

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #3701 on: June 25, 2018, 11:55:41 PM »

(He's a man of science.)

Clemence just shrugged. "I have no idea," she said quietly and got up, pulling away from Cole. "I'm getting some water, anyone need anything?" She asked, glancing around the group. Absentmindedly, she rubbed at her wrist and winced.

"I'm good," Ferris told her, offering a small smile. He could tell she was upset and...hiding something? How did he know that? He looked away from her toward Andrew, eyebrow lifted slightly.

Chris shook his head in response to her question and leaned into Sunny's touch more.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #3702 on: June 26, 2018, 01:55:28 AM »

Cole noticed the extra attention she was paying to her wrist, but he wasn't sure why. She'd been fidgeting with her sleeve, too...maybe her shirt was just itchy? He frowned as he thought about it. No, that didn't seem right. Maybe she was just using a new lotion that was irritating her skin? Girls' skin got irritated easily, right? That could be it, Cole reasoned.

"Me too, thanks," Andrew said. He turned back to Ferris, raising an eyebrow in return.

"Could you read it?" Sunny asked him, lowering her voice to keep their conversation more private.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #3703 on: June 26, 2018, 01:59:54 AM »

(Good reasoning, Cole.)

Clemence nodded and turned away, disappearing into the kitchen. She turned the sink on to cool water and rolled her sleeve up, sticking her wrist underneath it. She sighed in relief as the burning went away, but there were still dark marks covering her wrist and spiraling up her arm. She bit down on her lip and turned the water off, covering her arm again before she leaned against the counter to gather her wits and calm down.

"Can I see the notebook?" Ferris asked, moving to the edge of his seat.

Chris shook his head and turned to her. "No, could you?" He asked.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #3704 on: June 26, 2018, 02:08:10 AM »

Cole's frown deepened as he watched Clemence go in to the kitchen. He wanted to check on her and make sure she was fine, but something kept him sitting right where he was. It was probably best if he didn't interfere.

Andrew nodded and handed it to him. "What do you think's going on?" he asked.

"No." Sunny shook her head. "It's weird. With the other witch, when I...you know, I saw her book. And from what I remember, it looked normal."
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 364