Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 364

Author Topic: Unlikely Allies  (Read 228941 times)

LittleK

• On a le pouvoir de s'aimer, okay?
Re: Unlikely Allies
« Reply #840 on: October 28, 2017, 07:31:27 AM »

Mary sat beside Ferris and shuffled closer to him. "We have more than one power if we think about it."
You're filled with determination

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #841 on: October 28, 2017, 11:44:28 AM »

"I don't think I have another power," Ferris said with a shrug.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #842 on: October 29, 2017, 02:22:08 AM »

"Maybe you just haven't found it yet. I mean, why would Mary get two powers, but you only have one?" Sunny pointed out. She wasn't totally sure if she was able to give people gills from kissing them, but she wasn't willing to test it out.

Cole wrapped his towel around his shoulders and sat down beside Chris. In a way, he was envious of the mer. They get turned into supernatural creatures and get cool powers. He and Chris get turned into supernatural creatures and get cursed.

"Right now? I, uh, I'm double majoring in art and psychology. But I just work at Jimmy John's," Andrew said.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #843 on: October 29, 2017, 04:08:52 AM »

"I bet you could probably do the gill thing too," Ferris said to Sunny and frowned at the sand. He needed to talk to Andrew so he didn't freak out when he took a shower or something.

"So what'd it feel like?" Chris asked, turning toward Cole.

"That's it?" Clemence asked. She knew it sounded judgemental, but if that's all this guy did then it didn't make sense.

Higher, further, faster

LittleK

« Reply #844 on: October 29, 2017, 04:42:44 AM »

"I still wouldn't risk it, it has to be precise not one minute longer or earlier. I say, Cole was lucky." Mary replied wiping the sand from her hands to her shorts.

Blue

« Reply #845 on: October 29, 2017, 08:37:08 AM »

Sunny nodded slowly, frowning. That didn't help at all with breaking the news to Andrew.

"At first it just stung. Real bad, like a bunch of bee stings. But then the gills just opened up," Cole said to Chris. "I could feel it when they did. It was weird. And after that I could breathe normally."

Andrew shifted his weight over to his other foot. Those girls had told him there was another hunter, and maybe this was her. "Do you...how much do you know about, like, myths and cryptids and stuff?" he asked her.

LittleK

« Reply #846 on: October 29, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »

"Never asked why you wanted to know the answer to that question." Mary looked up at Sunny, she had dug her feet deep into the sand as she hugged her knees.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #847 on: October 30, 2017, 02:10:53 PM »

Ferris chewed his bottom lip, growing nervous the more he thought about it. "So what am I supposed to say to Andrew then? Hey, sorry, you almost died but I'm part fish so now you can't drown! That'll go well."

Chris unintentionally touched his neck and winced. "I dunno if I could get used to that."

Clemence raised her eyebrows, but she was only surprised by how unsurprised she was at the question. "Some," she answered. "Is that..are you interested in that sort of thing?"

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #848 on: October 30, 2017, 02:45:08 PM »

"What question?" Sunny asked Mary. Then, to Ferris, she said, "I could try to convince him it didn't happen, or something, if you want. I don't know if my ability even works that way, but I can try."

"I don't know if I'll get used to it, either." Cole shrugged and frowned, looking down at the sand. Were the gills going to appear every time he got wet now? That was going to suck.

Andrew nodded slowly. "Yeah. It's been a pretty recent hobby, but yeah, some." He thought back to that night before school had let out for summer break, and the high school girl who'd called herself Lady Snake. Apparently she was the youngest in the coven, and she had only just learned enough to pass the hunter's curse to him.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #849 on: October 30, 2017, 02:50:18 PM »

"That might be even worse, because then he'd freak out when the gills appeared. I'd rather just...I dunno. Maybe I can like gloss over the fish part and go for the gills part." Ferris mused, laying down in the sand. He covered his eyes with his arm.

"It's a neat party trick, though," Chris added with a small smile. He still wasn't sure what they'd gotten themselves into with these mermaids, but it was getting weirder and weirder. As if being a werewolf wasn't weird enough.

"Gotcha," Clemence nodded and didn't offer up any more information as it was her turn to order. She got a quesadilla with guac, and waited by the counter after she paid for it.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #850 on: October 31, 2017, 03:43:28 AM »

Sunny chewed her lip. "What if...what if you just told him the truth?"

Cole chuckled. "Yeah, it is." He paused for a beat, then added, "But after what happened last night, I wouldn't be surprised if you start growing them, too," he said, giving a pointed glance in Sunny's direction.

Andrew ordered his food, a burrito and chips, and paid for it. "Where do you want to sit?" he asked as he went to grab some napkins.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #851 on: October 31, 2017, 03:55:46 AM »

"The truth?" Ferris sat back up immediately. "No, no way. He will never, ever speak to me again and he'll probably call to send me to an asylum! It'll be American Horror Story, I'll get abducted by aliens and possessed by the devil, Sunny!"

Chris coughed into his hand to hide the redness creeping into his face. "Nah, nothing happened, man. She slept in my bed and I stayed on the couch."

"Um..." Clemence looked around, and there was a table toward the back just barely big enough for two, but it was open. "Over there," she said, nodding to it.

Higher, further, faster

LittleK

« Reply #852 on: October 31, 2017, 05:15:06 AM »

"Damn Sunny you slept with him wasn't expecting that..." Mary's eyes widened and clapped her hands. "As far as Andrew's concern, tell him he'll understand it's not that big of a deal..."

Blue

« Reply #853 on: October 31, 2017, 07:00:07 AM »

(Lol, Ferris cracks me up XD)

Sunny was so taken aback by Ferris' outburst, and then by Mary's accusation of her having slept with Chris, that the only thing she could think of to say was, "I don't even think Chris exists, and I didn't sleep with aliens!"

"Okay, sure, sure. But I saw you two walk out of the bathroom together at the party." Cole shrugged and held his hands up. "Just an observation."

Andrew nodded and headed over to it, glancing around the restaurant.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:50:21 AM by BlueberryDoughnut »

LittleK

« Reply #854 on: October 31, 2017, 09:07:01 AM »

"Bathroom... that's not like you to go in with a boy and leave with a boy." Mary winked nudging Sunny.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 364