Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 364

Author Topic: Unlikely Allies  (Read 223660 times)

|ĸιrα|

Re: Unlikely Allies
« Reply #585 on: September 16, 2017, 02:41:20 AM »

(Sort of.)

"That makes sense," Chris nodded and set his things down before he pulled off his t-shirt to put sunscreen on. "Do mermaids get sunburnt?" He asked her.

"Oh, um, that's okay. I dunno if I'll, um, get in the water," Ferris stammered out with uncertainty.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #586 on: September 16, 2017, 03:02:20 AM »

"Not that I've noticed," Sunny answered wit a shrug. She didn't get sunburnt too easily anyway, but she almost never wore sunscreen anymore, and had yet to get burned.

"Oh. Okay." Andrew raised an eyebrow, but didn't say anything else about it. Maybe Ferris didn't know how to swim.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #587 on: September 16, 2017, 03:05:58 AM »

"Huh," Chris shrugged and started rubbing it into his arms. "Can you get a regular human sickness?" He asked.

Ferris nervously tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. Why did he think this would be a good idea? Now Andrew would probably think he was a freak...but he supposed it was better than him thinking he was a freak with a tail.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #588 on: September 16, 2017, 03:17:42 AM »

Sunny paused for a minute, thinking about that. She'd come down with the flu last winter, but that was before she became a mermaid. She still didn't know exactly when it had happened, but she knew it had been the past spring semester, and her usual seasonal allergies had practically disappeared. When her parents and sibling had gotten food poisoning over the summer, Sunny had been the only one not affected. Even now, with summer beginning to turn to fall, she had yet to see her allergies make a comeback or suffer so much as sinus drainage or a stuffy nose.
"I...don't know, actually," she admitted. "Can you?"

"Do you not know how to swim?" Andrew asked. "Because it's not a big deal if you don't. I just don't want you to be bored."

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #589 on: September 16, 2017, 03:24:17 AM »

Chris shook his head. "No, not that I know of," he said and put the bottle away.

"Uh...kind of," Ferris shrugged. I can just hold my breath for longer than humanly possible and I spend my afternoons hanging out with fish.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #590 on: September 16, 2017, 03:31:27 AM »

"When was the last time you remember being sick?" Sunny asked him, curious now. How had she not realized before that she - and robably everyone in their unlikely alliance - knew so little about their new lots in life?

"Oh, okay. Yeah, if you only kind of know how to swim, it's not a good idea to try going in the ocean." Andrew nodded. For him,it was different; he'd grown up by the beach, and so swimming had always been part of his life.

LittleK

• On a le pouvoir de s'aimer, okay?
« Reply #591 on: September 16, 2017, 03:38:30 AM »

Sunny grinned and nodded. "Yeah, for sure!"

Cole narrowed his eyebrows. "You don't have to pull me," he grumbled, and headed for the door. "All right, fine, let's go grab food."

"Sounds good." Andrew grinned and slid his shoes back on.
"I would like something with cheese, I love cheese." Mary shrugged her jacket back on and stepped into her boots.
You're filled with determination

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #592 on: September 16, 2017, 03:40:31 AM »

"Oh, god, I have no idea. When I was really little, probably?" Chris shrugged his shoulders and pushed his hair back off his face. (has no idea how long they've been werewolves)

Ferris just nodded in response. "I'll sunbathe and add onto my collection of freckles."

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #593 on: September 16, 2017, 03:55:32 AM »

(Ehhhh idk either. We can say it's been a few months. Since spring/summer maybe?)

"Huh. I haven't been sick since before all this." Sunny shrugged, thinking, and looked out to the water. "Ready to go in?"

"We can go get Mexican," Cole suggested. He knew a place with cheap queso.

Andrew chuckled at that. "All right, sounds good."

LittleK

• On a le pouvoir de s'aimer, okay?
« Reply #594 on: September 16, 2017, 03:57:00 AM »

(Spring is always a lovely month :) )
"They're doing it right, cheese on everything is just makes everything better." Mary smacked her lips and a wide smile appeared onto her face.
You're filled with determination

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #595 on: September 16, 2017, 04:49:50 AM »

(Hmmmm good good)

Chris looked back at her and nodded. "Sure am," he smiled

Ferris pulled up to the beach and parked, then shut the car off.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #596 on: September 16, 2017, 04:58:11 AM »

"Cool. Would you mind going in before me, actually? Since I want to keep my bottoms intact." Sunny blushed as she said it, but torn underwear, pants, and swimsuit bottoms we're a part of mermaid life. That didn't mean she had the money to constantly replace her clothes, though.

"Okay, cool. My car's out back." Cole led her over to it and opened the passenger door for her before climbing in the driver's seat. He hesitated to start the car, though, closing his eyes and leaning his head back against the seat. He suddenly felt very dizzy and light headed.

Andrew grinned when they arrived and got out of the car, waiting for Ferris before they walked out onto the beach.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #597 on: September 16, 2017, 06:03:13 AM »

"Oh, no problem," Chris blinked, then turned and ran out to the water, diving into the wave as it came rolling forward.

Ferris set their stuff down in the sand and set to work applying sunscreen.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #598 on: September 16, 2017, 06:09:20 AM »

Sunny waited until she was sure he couldn't see her, and she carefully removed her swim bottoms and dove in after him. It was only seconds before her legs fused together into her tail, and suddenly the salt water didn't sting her eyes, and her lungs felt comfortable holding its breath.

Andrew pulled out his own sunscreen and sprayed it lightly over his exposed skin. Granted, his dark, deep skin didn't tend to burn easily, but he knew a girl in high school that had died of melanoma, and so Andrew had decided to just not put himself in that situation to begin with.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #599 on: September 16, 2017, 02:29:46 PM »

Chris looked around amd smiled when he saw her under the water. It was pretty amazing to see.

Ferris layed out his towel and pulled his shirt off to settle down amd lay in the sun.

Higher, further, faster
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 364