Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 364

Author Topic: Unlikely Allies  (Read 223785 times)

|ĸιrα|

Re: Unlikely Allies
« Reply #2025 on: March 09, 2018, 11:25:48 AM »

No worries, you busy? Clemence sent back. After last night, she just wanted to relax and Cole always proved to be a pretty good distraction from real life.

Chris had gone home and napped, which took up a fair part of the afternoon. When he woke up he checked the time on his phone and sighed, then went and took a quick shower before he sat at his desk and started working on the homework he needed to get done. Being an engineer and a werewolf really didn't do much for his grades.

Cato swam along the current, heading closer and closer to the shore. He wasn't really sure why he'd been asked to scout, but he wouldn't question it. Apparently there'd been sightings of other mer in the area, which was making everyone nervous. Where had they come from? He supposed it was his job to go find out, which wasn't something he was terribly happy about. He preferred to stay far from the humans, but he also wasn't one to argue.

Higher, further, faster

ChaoticRhymer

« Reply #2026 on: March 09, 2018, 11:42:08 AM »

Vin closed his eyes in concentration, pencil poised. He needed this after last night. An image flashed thru his mind, of trees blurring by, then another, the sense of first touching noses in greeting. The pencil touched paper.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Blessed are the legend-makers, for they are not found within recorded time": J.R.R. Tolkien.

Blue

« Reply #2027 on: March 09, 2018, 12:09:26 PM »

(The werewolves never remember what happened during the full moon. Never.)

No, I’m just chilling at home. Wanna come over? Cole texted back. He leaned his head back against the pillow and closed his eyes. Clemence would be a nice relief from the stress of last night.

After a while, Sunny decided to go back in the water. She folded her jeans, bra, and underwear on her towel, diving in in only her baggy t-shirt. Within seconds of touching water, her legs fused into her bright yellow tail, and she headed further out into the deep.

Alec walked up the beach, looking around for a landmark he could recognize. Humans chattered all around him - what language were they speaking, again? This continent was so full of them, he could barely keep track of them all. Then again, Alec knew some Spanish, and this sounded nothing like it. So, English, he figured. After a few moments of walking, he spotted a familiar face. Alec never met her before, but he’d seen her face on flyers and papers all across Saleran.
“Mary!” he yelled, hoping to get her attention.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #2028 on: March 09, 2018, 12:13:33 PM »

Clemence smiled and got up, grabbing her keys. Sure, I'm on my way, she texted him as she got into her car.

Cato paused to observe some fish as they swam by him getting slightly distracted. He wandered off course but then remembered he was supposed to be headingtoward the shore and he continued on his way for Beaumont's beach.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #2029 on: March 09, 2018, 12:43:36 PM »

Cole smiled at that last message, and sighed. He thought about taking another pill. Not that he really needed it, it just sounded good. But he knew doing that was a slippery slope.

As Sunny reached the end of the surf, she noticed a flash of green in the water. She furrowed her brows and peered out, trying to track the movement.

ChaoticRhymer

« Reply #2030 on: March 09, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »

(It's more the Idea of these things happening then memories.)

Setting the scetch aside, Vincent took a moment to smell the eggs his mom was cooking. The memory of what he had last eaten made him wince.
"Something wrong Vinny?"
"I ate a cat last night. It made me sick this morning."
"Then how about some tea"
"Thanks."

Karen walked into a caffe. Last night had been exhausting.
"Double expresso mocha please."
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Blessed are the legend-makers, for they are not found within recorded time": J.R.R. Tolkien.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #2031 on: March 09, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »

Clemence made it to Cole's house pretty fast, and walked up to knock on his door.

Cato saw the yellow tail and started back peddling, trying to avoid the other mer.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #2032 on: March 09, 2018, 01:41:13 PM »

“It’s open,” he called out from inside. Against his better judgement, Cole had decided to take another dose, and now he felt light and relaxed. Probably too relaxed. But that was a problem for later. He closed his eyes again, enjoying the sensation.

Sunny jumped back, startled, and found herself face to face with another mer. A boy. Here rown deepened, and she tilted her head to one side, trying to figure out if she knew him; he didn’t look familiar to her in the slightest.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #2033 on: March 09, 2018, 01:59:57 PM »

Clemence opened the door and walked inside, then kicked her shoes off and looked around, but her eyes eventually landed on him. She squinted a bit and then tilted her head. "Hey, what's up?" she asked, smiling slightly.

Cato stared at the girl in front of him in shock, but then his expression shifted to wariness. This must have been one of the strangers he was looking for, because he definitely had never seen her at Hyppocema. He said something, but it was in his native language - one not spoken on the surface.

Higher, further, faster

Blue

« Reply #2034 on: March 09, 2018, 02:21:07 PM »

“Not much.” Cole grinned, and opened his eyes to look over at her. He patted the space next to him with his good hand. “Here, come sit with me.”

“What?” Sunny asked. She was surprised she could talk underwater, but she knew that wasn’t the most important thing right now. The words he’d said didn’t sound like any language she could think of - even though Sunny wasn’t a linguist and realized there were dozens, if not hundreds, of human languages she didn’t know of - but she still tried to communicate. “Do you speak English? Like at all?”

ChaoticRhymer

« Reply #2035 on: March 09, 2018, 02:29:22 PM »

(Not really sure how to get my characters to interact with yours.)

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #2036 on: March 09, 2018, 03:05:51 PM »

Clemence went over and sat down beside him, letting their thighs touch. She glanced him over and looked at his arm. "Rough night?" she asked, bringing her eyes back up to his.

"Oh, right," Cato rolled his eyes, more at himself. "Uh, yes. Do you not know another language?" he asked, his words lilted by an accent. Even the other mer societies had their own languages, and none of them were English.

Higher, further, faster

LittleK

• On a le pouvoir de s'aimer, okay?
« Reply #2037 on: March 09, 2018, 08:10:46 PM »

Mary’s brows met together, she stepped onto her cigarette and decided to check out who was calling her name. A guy stood in front of her and judged him up and down, from his tone of skin he didn’t look like the others in Beaumont she kept her arms folded. “Who wants to know handsome?” She asked sweetly, with her sickly smile.

Addie finally swept up all the glass and gathered the glass into newspaper and put it in the bin. She sighed as she quickly texted Andrew, Are you faring well since last night?

(Also Blueboo How popular is Mary’s family xD)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:45:22 AM by LittleK »
You're filled with determination

Blue

« Reply #2038 on: March 10, 2018, 03:58:49 AM »

(Uh...up to you XD)

Cole nodded. "Yeah. Had to get my arm reset. It hurt like a bitch."
Why did he say that? He hadn't planned on telling Clemence about re-breaking his arm. Then again, he couldn't bring himself to care very much right then.

"Uh...I took Spanish in high school. And my parents tried to teach me Korean when I was a kid, but it didn't stick." Sunny furrowed her brows again. "What were you speaking just now?"

"Alec. I'm from Quira, in Saleran." He stepped closer to Mary, glancing down at the cigarette she'd stepped on. "You're a long way from home, aren't you?"

Andrew groaned when he heard his phone buzz, and rolled over to reach it. After last night, he'd decided to sleep in, especially since he didn't have classes until later that afternoon. He sent Addie a quick reply: Yeah, I'm fine. Didn't do much last night. You?

LittleK

• On a le pouvoir de s'aimer, okay?
« Reply #2039 on: March 10, 2018, 04:11:05 AM »

Mary chuckled at their proximity, she bit her lip and looked up to him, still smiling. “I know Quira, so very close to where I live. But thank you for stating the obvious, Alec.” She has spoken in the dialect or Quira and held out her hand. “Always a pleasure to see a fan.” She said in English.
(Can she like be ish important then? Since she’s on posters? :p)
You're filled with determination
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 364