Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: Don't Fear the Abyss (New RP!)  (Read 36413 times)

Mara-la

• strange fruit
Re: Don't Fear the Abyss (New RP!)
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2018, 02:14:44 PM »

His voice rippled through her mind, and it wasn't unlike hearing voices around her through people's thoughts, but it was stronger, more obvious, for lack of better word.

"Kaia," she replied in a low voice. "You... you don't talk? Like, out loud?"
Member since April 24th 2010

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »

He shook his head. I can make sounds, but I can't form words, he explained. I'm sorry if this is awkward, he added, suddenly feeling like he had a lot to apologize for but he didn't know why.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2018, 02:25:02 PM »

Kaia felt a tug in her. "No, no," she said. "It's alright." She felt the need to comfort him, though she didn't know why. "Everyone is just nervous, and it's just new, and there's a lot going on," she said, but then, she realized she may have given herself away. "I think," she added hastily.

ChaoticRhymer

« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »

"I'm not." He grumbled bluntly. "My band has a gig coming up."

Abi stood wringing her tail. This was a good thing, right?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:40:25 PM by ChaoticRhymer »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Blessed are the legend-makers, for they are not found within recorded time": J.R.R. Tolkien.

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2018, 02:45:45 PM »

Kal glanced over at Aphis, feeling bad for her suddenly. He was glad that his human didn't seem that angry. But then again he had never been good at reading people. Are you nervous? He asked her, Kaia, finally. I am. I don't... like being stared at.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2018, 02:49:01 PM »

His human. She kept her face as stark as she could, but that was something that she would have to get used to, being someone else's partner. She'd never had much in the way of friends before, let alone a partner. "I don't think anyone does," Kaia replied. "It's just... uncomfortable." She paused. "How many pairings do you think there'll be?"

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »

Four, I think, he responded. He was now starting back out at the crowd, the taunts and jeers having died down, but only a little. He squeezed her hand, trying to find some sort of comfort in the situation. It didn't work.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2018, 01:12:24 AM »

"We'll find a way to just... get through this," Kaia said quietly, both for her own sake, and for her now-partner's.

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2018, 03:27:39 AM »

The human and monster announcers ushered the new couple to stand alongside Aphis and Oz.

"How wonderful, I see they're getting along splendidly!" The human cooed. "Time for our third couple!"

"I'm not." He grumbled bluntly. "My band has a gig coming up."

Aphis looked down, feeling guilty. Great. This human viewed her as some kind of obstacle. She should've guessed that he would have more 'important' things to worry about. Humans were all the same.

The human announcer and monster announcer reached into the black box.

"Our next couple....." The human called before pulling out a sheet of paper. "Orville Mondo! And.."

Orville's heart dropped in his chest. What? Him? Was there another Orville Mondo? The announcer's gaze rested on him and he knew this wasn't some mistake.

"...Milo Barnard!" The monster woman announced with a flourish of the paper she'd drawn. "Come on up here and meet each other, darlings!"

He kept his gaze on the ground as he made his way to the stage. Yeah, he was all for peace, but...he didn't know he was going to be involved. Was this monster even going to like him? The first monster drawn seemed to be terrified. Come to think of it, none of the people drawn seemed very happy.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2018, 03:36:35 AM »

It took Milo a good few seconds to process their name had been called. Suddenly this was a lot less like TV. Their tail lashed nervously and nearly tripped them as they scampered onstage, trying not to feel like they were being watched. They stuck out a hand to the human with a half-grin. “I’m Milo,” they said. “You’re Or-Orville? Right? I like your fingers.” Fingernails. That was how normal people said it.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2018, 04:12:01 AM »

Orville gave an awkward, well-meaning smile to this...Milo and shook their hand. They...They seemed nice."Hey, uh, yeah. I'm Orville. You're...Milo, then?" He glanced down at his grimy hand, and then at his fingernails, remembering how he liked to keep them painted. "Oh, ah, thank you. You have a nice braid!" He figured the polite thing to do with the person he was, probably going to spend his life with, would be to compliment them, too. They didn't seem to be that bad of a monster. Or, well, that bad of a person.

"Let's hear it for Orville Mondo and Milo Bernard!" The monster woman called. The crowd applauded, seemingly not sure how to react after seeing the terrifying Kalavhan and now this...less terrifying Milo paired with a rather...uneasy-on-the-eyes mechanic. "Why don't you two stand next to the other couples?"

The two announcers moved back to the black box. "Time for our final couple!" The human announced. "Are you ready?"

The crowd let out an excited roar. The human and monster pulled out the final papers.

"Lina Fyfe! And..."

"Abixaria Restone!"

ChaoticRhymer

« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2018, 05:20:04 AM »

Oz grumbled something quietly at the announcers.

Abi froze, her hair sparking like mad. Then she strode towards the stage, head held high.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Blessed are the legend-makers, for they are not found within recorded time": J.R.R. Tolkien.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2018, 06:05:04 AM »

“Thank you!” Milo said, tugging their braid over their shoulder. Should they be holding hands? What did couples who were strangers usually do?
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2018, 06:20:58 AM »

"Ah, yeah, no problem!" Orville responded before feeling a hand on his shoulder. The human announcer nodded towards the other couples. They wanted him to move. "Oh, um..."
Holding Milo's hand and hoping that he didn't seem too dirty or gross from his mechanic work, he tried to lead them to stand by the other couples. Turning again the face them, he figured, maybe...He should try to talk? What do strangers who are also couples even say?
"Um...So, what kind of stuff do you like to do?" He asked, his voice quiet. Maybe they had similar interests!

The monster announcer patted Abi's shoulder as if to say 'Congratulations!' once she got onstage.

ChaoticRhymer

« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2018, 07:11:26 AM »

Abi turned to look at the human she'd been partnered with. "Hi."

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24