Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Don't Fear the Abyss (New RP!)  (Read 32386 times)

Eraisuithiel

Re: Don't Fear the Abyss (New RP!)
« Reply #240 on: November 22, 2018, 04:35:46 PM »

While it didn't do very much to quell his unease, Kalavhan still appreciated the gesture. It was also comforting to see that they were all starting to get along, for the most part. He glanced over at Kaia, and then quickly away. Everything still felt so off between them, unfortunately. He doubted it would ever not feel that way.

kristina-la

• Be kind, be calm, be safe.
« Reply #241 on: November 22, 2018, 05:39:14 PM »

Lina shrugged, "We eat a fair bit of fish, being on an island and all," she said, "though it's not my favourite. I love fresh fruit." she said, mouth watering at the thought. All this talk about food and home made that ache inside grow.

"It will never be enough! I only want to hear JaJa Ding Dong!"

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #242 on: November 23, 2018, 03:04:22 AM »

Aphis was tempted to ask what fresh fruit was like, and opened her mouth to ask before -

"Attention, peacekeepers. We'll be arriving at our destination shortly." The captain's calm voice resounded over the speakers.

Orville watched as Kal looked at Kaia and a sense of confusion washed over him. "Does she not like you?" He asked quietly. "I saw some of the folks here are a bit...not happy to have been chosen."

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #243 on: November 23, 2018, 03:30:37 AM »

“I just don’t know him,” Kaia replied. “It’s not a like or dislike thing. I just... I wish I wasn’t chosen. I miss my father.”
Member since April 24th 2010

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #244 on: November 23, 2018, 04:00:52 AM »

There were only so many times Kal could say 'I'm sorry' for the situation they'd found themselves in. So he said nothing, as usual, although he made a silent promise to get her in contact with her dad as soon as possible.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #245 on: November 23, 2018, 04:09:41 AM »

Kaia look over at Kal, shaking her head. “It’s not your fault,” she said, replying to his thought. “You shouldn’t have to apologize for the mess that society has put us in.” She wanted to thank him as well, for considering getting her in touch with her father, but she wondered if he’d even be able to find him from such a distance and through the darkness.

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #246 on: November 23, 2018, 04:12:03 AM »

Kal looked over at her in surprise, for a moment wondering if he had inadvertently touched her while deep in thought. He hadn't. He reached out for her hand once more. You could hear what I was thinking. It was definitely a statement, not a question.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #247 on: November 23, 2018, 04:18:14 AM »

Kaia bit her lip. One time too many she had spoken out in response to someone’s thought. She looked around at the others. They would have figured it out by now too. She sighed. They would find out eventually if she was going to be living in close quarters with them. “Yeah,” she said, uncomfortably. “That’s mostly why I was scared to get chosen. I didn’t want to be harassed any more for what I am.” Nervously, drawing in a breath, she said “I, uh, I can read minds. That’s why I was hurting so bad on the way here... all the panic was overwhelming. It’s not a normal human thing so I try to keep it quiet, but since we’re all stuck together you may as well know.”

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #248 on: November 23, 2018, 04:28:19 AM »

Orville watched the conversation, unsure of whether or not he should still try to pipe in. They seemed like they were...having some kind of conversation? It'd be rude to interrupt. He simply tried to eat a cookie as low-key as he could, and spotted a remote control on the ground. Oh, right! The televisions!

He picked it up and pressed the red button on it, and the t.v. flicked on.

"- Aren't sure the origin of the suspect, but many suspect this was a monster to blame."

Oh, still talking about...The Ceremony. He pressed a different button. This time, it looked like a slightly different news program.

"- Emergency protocol for the return of the darkness - Stock up on non-perishable items and make sure to keep leaving your households to a minimum until further instruction. Please do not panic."

Oof. Not very cheerful today, huh? He tried to change the channel again. This time, it was two monsters talking to each other.

"The Ceremony today was a bigger disaster than the Northern cave-ins. This whole 'darkness' thing was just to be expected when it was clear none of the individuals chosen actually wanted peace. We need a better -"

Orville turned off the tv. This wasn't very...fun.

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #249 on: November 23, 2018, 04:48:15 AM »

Everything made so much more sense now. So... you can hear me? Without me having to project my thoughts? he asked. Something on the TV caught his attention: the chaos, mostly. They were blaming the monsters, as usual. He shivered. The darkness was back. How long before it disappeared again? Hopefully before more fighting broke out again.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #250 on: November 23, 2018, 05:03:46 AM »

“I can hear everyone,” Kaia replied softly. “Sometimes I wish I didn’t.”

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #251 on: November 23, 2018, 05:10:09 AM »

Is it a form of magic? Can you learn to control it? Kalavhan asked her. Was it something he could possibly learn? It would make communicating so much easier.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #252 on: November 23, 2018, 05:15:22 AM »

“It’s, uh...” oh, to hell with it. “My great grandma was a monster,” she said. “She was pretty cool, she passed when I was a kid because she was really old. But basically, she was a powerful telepath, but she could also mind read and project her thoughts, like you do, but without touching. But other than that, I don’t know much about it. I don’t think it’s magic, though.”

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #253 on: November 23, 2018, 05:32:03 AM »

She was part monster? But she looked so small and... and soft. Squishy? Something like that. Either way he could hardly believe it. Do you remember what your grandmother looked like? he asked, curious.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #254 on: November 23, 2018, 05:49:19 AM »

She remembered a little. Though she adored her grandmother as a child and was always excited to see her, the visits were few and far between. "Sort of?" she replied. "She was pale but ashy. She had these black stripes on her arms and legs and cheeks. I also remember her dark blue hair. I remember being really confused though, because she looked so young but she was well over a hundred years old..." She stopped, glancing at Kalavhan. "Why do you ask?"
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 06:17:02 AM by Mara-la »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24