Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Remember me??  (Read 2157 times)

Mara-la

• strange fruit
Re: Remember me??
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 08:35:05 AM »

Yes, my PhD! I'm about...halfway through?? Hopefully? Haha I guess it's awesome but it's also really, really hard and draining....

That is AWESOME! I wanna do a PhD someday. What's yours in?
Member since April 24th 2010

Fanna-wa

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »

Hahahaha yes, awesome, but REALLY hard and stressful, as I said...I just hope it will all be worth it!

It's awesome you want to do one, too, though!! I'd encourage everyone to follow their dreams. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you want to know what it's like, how to apply and get in, etc....

And mine's in art history...random, I know. Do NOT tell me how I'm not gonna get a job, lol....but I want to be a professor one day.

What field do you want to go into?

GeeBeezy

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 02:44:11 PM »

Sorry for the late greeting, HI! Welcome back!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leSj7SVX_dg

抹茶のマーブルレアチーズケーキ

All of human history is alcohol and horses.

ジャガイモはセクシーで

and suddenly I wasnt a fish anymore I was omnipresent

Seek and ye shall find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35fBK7kCTgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzClLu8DXlM

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 02:48:08 PM »

I feel like if you're going so far as to do a PhD in something, it's because you're passionate enough about it to teach it, so professor makes sense.

For me, I'm wanting to go into communications. I believe that one of the biggest issues in the world is miscommunication; how we communicate directly effects every relationship we ever have from business to family to friends to romantic... and yet, it's something that we don't even really think about day to day. We learn to communicate based on the patterns we see around us, but if we don't grow up with healthy communications around us, some of our communications will therefore be regurgitation of what we're seeing around us (some of my old posts on this forum REALLY highlight that... it's so cringe worthy and in some cases plain out wrong, but hey, that's growth). I actually want to be a creative director though as my main career, but I want to teach communications. So far, I have my Bachelor's degree in new media and a college certificate in new media design. I've applied for a post-grad certificate (a type of certificate you can take if you have a bachelor's degree or a 2 year college diploma + work experience) at a community college for January in Public Relations, so we'll see if I get in. My goal right now is to use that program to make connections and get a job, get a year more of work experience, and then apply for my masters after saving up a little and having more work experience to draw and base my research off of. My goal is to have my master's done by 2024 and then do my PhD sometime after that... might take a while though. We'll see. That all being said, my life could take a turn in another direction too so I'm open to the possibilities.

Echo :)

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 02:37:31 AM »

Sorry I'm late to the party as usual, but hello! Nice to see you back again. I'm not sure how much we interacted back in the day, but I definitely recognize your name!
You could rattle the stars. You could do anything, if only you dared.
ToG

Fanna-wa

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2020, 05:24:54 AM »

Sorry for the late greeting, HI! Welcome back!

Thanks!! :)

I feel like if you're going so far as to do a PhD in something, it's because you're passionate enough about it to teach it, so professor makes sense.

For me, I'm wanting to go into communications. I believe that one of the biggest issues in the world is miscommunication; how we communicate directly effects every relationship we ever have from business to family to friends to romantic... and yet, it's something that we don't even really think about day to day. We learn to communicate based on the patterns we see around us, but if we don't grow up with healthy communications around us, some of our communications will therefore be regurgitation of what we're seeing around us (some of my old posts on this forum REALLY highlight that... it's so cringe worthy and in some cases plain out wrong, but hey, that's growth). I actually want to be a creative director though as my main career, but I want to teach communications. So far, I have my Bachelor's degree in new media and a college certificate in new media design. I've applied for a post-grad certificate (a type of certificate you can take if you have a bachelor's degree or a 2 year college diploma + work experience) at a community college for January in Public Relations, so we'll see if I get in. My goal right now is to use that program to make connections and get a job, get a year more of work experience, and then apply for my masters after saving up a little and having more work experience to draw and base my research off of. My goal is to have my master's done by 2024 and then do my PhD sometime after that... might take a while though. We'll see. That all being said, my life could take a turn in another direction too so I'm open to the possibilities.

Wow!! I agree with you about the whole topic of communication; that's a really cool field and so glad that you have a plan! Honestly, I skipped a master's and went into the PhD program with only a BA and I'm not sure if that was the best choice...I was a little unprepared and my first couple years in the program were ROUGH. And congrats on completing a bachelor's!! Everyone has grown up so much here :')

Sorry I'm late to the party as usual, but hello! Nice to see you back again. I'm not sure how much we interacted back in the day, but I definitely recognize your name!

Same here, I don't think we talked much but I remember you!! Thanks :)

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 06:51:48 AM »

That's so cool that you made the jump directly though! That would be my first choice, except comms programs here don't allow that so it's not a possibility for me :P
Pages: 1 [2]