My NaNoWriMo “What Now?” Post

February 1st, 2014

Just wrote a post for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), the organization that compels tens of thousands of people to write tens of thousands of words every November.

For those non-November months, NaNo has a series about rewriting your first draft, called “What Now?” And given that my next novel is about a young writer who is rewriting her novel, it seemed sensible for me to contribute.

This might be useful for those of you who are rewriting, and for the rest of you, I briefly discuss the themes of my new novel, Afterworlds.

Click here to read it.

Here’s the pull quote in fancy letterings:

tumblr_inline_n09zigEHck1r0x68m

9 Responses to “My NaNoWriMo “What Now?” Post”

February 1st, 2014 10:16

Wow! I never get first comment! :D

February 1st, 2014 10:23

Nice advice. I’m not there quite yet (working on chapter 16 of a projected 22-25), but I’ll definitely use it whenever I’ve finished my current novel (hopefully before the year is out!) and start rewriting.

February 2nd, 2014 01:06

I have so many moments where I look back on how I reacted to certain situations, and I think about how stupid and naïve I used to be. And then I realize that in a few years, I’ll look back on how I am now and think the exact same thing. I can totally relate to the quote, because sometimes I reread old stories and look at old art I’d made and I’m amazed at how bad I was. However, just like looking back at old situations, I know that some day in the future I’ll be far better than I am now.

It’s kind of weird and astounding, really, at how things change so much with time.

Panzercrappitastica
    February 2nd, 2014 12:03

Aah, thanks so much for this! And perfect timing too, I just finished the first draft of a longish short story and am soon to start the revision phase :D I can totally see the bit about realizing the young-ness in the beginning. I’m reading the beginning and a lot of it just seems really childish…anyway, thanks! :D

nerezza
    February 4th, 2014 00:47

This is good advice, but I have a question:
    Sometimes I look back on things I’ve written and I realize how naive I was about my novel back then, exactly as described. But other times, I read a passage, and wonder, “why isn’t the rest of my novel this amazing?” So should I try to emulate that, or should I abandon/ignore (or whatever else) it?

If anyone can answer this question, they shall receive a very special prize— the price of being “likethemostridiculouslyamazingpersonever”

Panzercrappitastica
    February 5th, 2014 06:45

Well, if the bit was amazing, there’s no reason to take it out, is there? Unless it doesn’t fit the rest of the book, why not leave it in?

Home Theater Waco Texas
    February 9th, 2014 02:08

From the days when people first gained the ability to check their email on their television sets, the technology seed has been planted for
    greater things to come. • Third one is the sound bar
    style, which can be easily monitored through
    the software. Even if you have a favorite retailer chances are that you could get a better price through them by doing a simple search online and looking for a lower
    advertised price.

Brendan from Now Novel
    February 18th, 2014 11:49

Most of our writers don’t even think about the arduous task that editing will be, there is the initial joy of finishing their novel, and then they realise what they have to contend with, and what their novel actually looks like.

Some good tips for this process, thanks

toure torkye
    March 12th, 2014 11:44

The appeals panel also saw problems with the lack of physical evidence linking Jordan to the crime, at what point small and mediumsized businesses are seeking social media marketing tools, Over 30, only to miss out on the sweep