Goliath Is Done!

February 5th, 2011

Just in case you missed it on the Twitter machine, I finished the rewrites to Goliath, the final book in the Leviathan trilogy, last Tuesday.

This was a tricky series, requiring much more research and infinitely more art direction than anything I’ve ever done before. The fact is that each of these books took more than a year to write. They only came out a year apart because a) I started the first one a long time before it found a home at Simon & Schuster, b) and S&S have been kind enough to let me turn in this third one a bit late.

But it’s done. w00t! Time off!

And now onto your imaginary questions. (I’m in a fake dialog-y mood these days.)

So these are the “rewrites”. How much did you change?

Well, I turned in the first draft in October, the day before Cassandra Claire’s wedding and three days before my giant tour started—so, um, kind of at the last possible minute. That first draft may have been a BIT rushed. In fact, it was 3,000 words shorter than the rewrites I just turned in, mostly because the ending now has three whole new chapters. (To point out the obvious: Endings are rushed when writers don’t have enough time, because most folks write their books more or less in order.)

The first draft also had missing sections in other places, with labels like [MORE CRAZY STUFF HERE] and [FINISH DESCRIPTION AFTER KEITH DRAWS IT]. Those are all replaced with real writing now . . . I hope.

So “rewrite” means “just add more stuff”?

Well, no. That’s the most noticeable aspect of this particular rewrite, but not the most important. The most critical thing I did was to look at the character arcs (particularly the relationship between Two Very Important Characters) and make sure they were consistent, dramatic, and had their own beginning, middle, and end.

Also, there were special concerns because this is a Last Book. Like, I made sure that all the characters who have appeared across the series have at least one more shout out each, so we know where they all are at the end. I also tried to hit each of the underlying themes of the series (loyalty, duty, destiny, friendship, uncomfortable allies, mixing of technologies, the importance of truth, the importance of lies, and the badness of war) in ways that felt conclusive.

Wait. Last book? But there’s only been three! Don’t you know the secret meaning of trilogy?

Um, right. What I meant was that the three Leviathan novels are done. There’s still the Manual of Aeronautics to come. This book four, which may have a different title, will be a Spiderwick Field Guide-like large-format book of Keith’s art.

It’s going to be awesome, with big, full-color deck plans of the Leviathan, cutaways of the Stormwalker, and lovely portraits of many beasties, machines, and uniforms. Finally you will know what color everything is! There are also a few how-to diagrams, like Huxley Semaphore and sliding escapes.

It comes out in October 2012.

That’s ages away. When does Goliath come out?”

Well, it was supposed to be released October 4, 2011. But that has been changed to . . .

SEPTEMBER 13, 2011! That’s right, it’s coming out three weeks earlier!

Cool! Um, but if you were late, why is it coming out earlier?

I don’t know. I just work here.

So how long is Goliath?

It is 94,000 words, and I don’t know how many pages yet. For comparison, Leviathan was 79,000 words and Behemoth was 85,000 words. Inflation!

That means you did more pictures, right?

Well, Leviathan had 50 images, Behemoth had 55, and Goliath has 56 confirmed so far, and it should be more.

(These counts includes the end papers, spot art, and full-page art.)

Will you be spoiling some of these pieces for us?

Yup. Probably March 1 for the first one, and every first of the month after. So that’s (*counts on fingers*) seven pieces of pre-released art in all.

Plus we’ll obviously spoil the cover, which should be fairly soon. (I have seen a rough version and you haven’t. Neeners to all!)

What are you doing next?

That is the subject for another blog post. (Soon, baby, soon.)

Um, I’m out of questions.

Yeah, I’m sure you are, because you’re not even real. But if the many fine commenters on this blog have more questions about Goliath, etc., they should ask them!

Note: I probably won’t answer spoilery questions, except in cheating, non-useful ways that only drive you more insane! But feel free to ask them.

149 Responses to “Goliath Is Done!”

beef flavored loris
    February 5th, 2011 05:49

EEEEEEKKKK! Goliath is done! I need to read it now. I’m considering sneaking into your house and stealing it off your computer. Except that would be creepy. But it’s still tempting.

Allison
    February 5th, 2011 06:24

High five, bro! Good on ya! I’m excited to see it!

One day.

In September.

Sigh.

purplebookworm
    February 5th, 2011 06:26

Congrats on finishing the series!! Can’t wait to see art and cover, and of course, READ THE BOOK eventually!!! Question: How long does it generally take you to write a first draft?

Christie Bailey
    February 5th, 2011 06:27

I’m excited about Goliath, but what I can’t wait for is the Manual of Aeronautics. O:)

Of course, I might be singing a different tune once I finish reading Leviathan ::pats the book next to her:: and Behemoth ::which is sitting patiently on the shelf::.

Erin
    February 5th, 2011 06:27

Ooooo, this is exciting! I can’t wait for both books! But I’m quite sad that this will be the Last Book (Novel). To Scott, do you have any plans to continue writing in this universe, like you did with Extras? I’d love to read more.

pooks
    February 5th, 2011 06:28

Can’t. Wait. Seriously!

Stephanie
    February 5th, 2011 06:29

I love your question and answer sessions! (The last one on the BitchMedia debacle was very informative and funny). Congrats on finishing rewrites!

Paola
    February 5th, 2011 06:44

I love you.
    That is all

February 5th, 2011 06:47

Question from purplebookworm: How long does it generally take you to write a first draft?

I started Goliath in early January, so nine months in this case.

The rewrites took about five weeks, as I started them Dec 29. I was on tour for October and November, and chilling out for most of December.

Ro
    February 5th, 2011 06:49

Yay!!! I bought my friend ‘Leviathan’ and ‘Behemoth’ and she won’t start because she doesn’t want to wait for ‘Goliath’. She won’t even wait with me! Now maybe I won’t tell her we have three less weeks to wait…

Jillian
    February 5th, 2011 06:50

I’m so excited, and also dreading this. I hate last books. Especially if their first kiss is the LAST thing they do, or near the end. Or worse- If Deryn first tells Alek her secret near the end. OR WORSE- they never kiss at all.

I will cry, Scott, I will.

And then write fanfiction.

P.S., Are you in Australia while all this crazy shiz is going on? Are you going to die and write us no more books?!

The OTHER Tally Youngblood (be afraid...)
    February 5th, 2011 06:57

w00t! Best part of my day!!!!!!!!

Nicole
    February 5th, 2011 07:01

I would like you to know that I’m freaking out right now. In the best possible way. ((The chocolate bar i just had didn’t help.))

Melanie
    February 5th, 2011 07:30

Thank you for making my day even better. :) I even squealed when I saw the release date.

Moonie
    February 5th, 2011 07:36

I am completely and utterly FILLED WITH JOYOUS JOY. EARLY BOOKS ARE AWESOME.

I know Extras had a complete rehaul upon rewriting– was there anything in the Leviathan series (any of the books) that has changed majorly from draft to publication?

Katelyn
    February 5th, 2011 07:36

Ah! So excited for September now! :D

Rachel
    February 5th, 2011 07:48

How long before the inevitable ARC giveaway, so that we can plan our stalking of your blog accordingly, in hopes of reading the book as soon as possible? :D

(That question should be envisioned as being spoken in the most innocent, angelic tone possible. No, even more than that. Yes, that’s closer.)

Brittany
    February 5th, 2011 07:58

I am soooooooooooooooooooo excited!

So does this mean that Jaspert will make a reappearance in Goliath?

Kristina-la
    February 5th, 2011 08:15

this is completely off topic but………

During the forum meet up you mentioned more croy.
    care to explain more? :P

sarahj
    February 5th, 2011 08:21

Scott, you have the best commenters ever. Rachel especially cracked me up. Congrats on the book being finished and stuff.

Shanella
    February 5th, 2011 08:50

I can’t WAIT to get my hands on this book! I’ve been telling anyone who will listen to read this series — a few have listened! yay!

Abby Minard
    February 5th, 2011 09:08

Yay, congrats to getting it done! Your posts always put a smile on my face. Unless they are serious, like your last post. But it did have some funny in it as well…very artfully and strategically placed.

Gaia
    February 5th, 2011 09:18

*footshuffle* So, it’s February. Do we reeeeeally have to wait till September? I’m sure your rewrite is absolutely perfect so… how about a March release date?

…Just kidding. (Well, maybe not entirely. Let’s face it, March would be awesome.)

But I AM curious, because I know nothing about the process: Now that you’ve turned in the final product, what sort of sausage-maker does Goliath get churned through between now and September? What are the steps that take it from “writer submits finished product” to “ravenous fans purchase and devour”?

Meghan
    February 5th, 2011 10:01

Congrats Scott!

So um, I have a probobly really annoying question but- when does the uglies movie come out? Or is it still in production?

On the other hand, I really don’t want a movie for Uglies unless people like the people that made Avatar are in on it. Seriously, they did an amazing job and I know that they would do a good job on Uglies. That would be awesome!

Brittany
    February 5th, 2011 10:38

September seems so far away. Yet, closer than October.

Does Volger know that Deryn has feelings for Alek? I feel as if it was alluded to, but I am not quite sure.

Jessi
    February 5th, 2011 10:52

Early! It’s coming out early! Oh, the excitement!
    That was awesome, the random questions and their answers. It was awesome!
    My friends will be really mad when I start freaking out about how it’s coming out early.

steampunk101
    February 5th, 2011 11:53

LIFE SO GOOD RIGHT NOW!!! Early yet with anticipation, a perfect concoction! I was wondering…
    What are you going to do now? I don’t mean like writing a new book but you know, what are you going to do while Goliath goes through publishing?

Lee
    February 5th, 2011 14:06

Amen to that!!!
    I cant believe its coming out early!!! You are the man Mr Westerfeld, i take my hat off to you.
    March 1 for the first piece of art you say :D well I shall look forward to that day sir.

Faraday Strange
    February 5th, 2011 16:07

Cheers on finishing! Look forward to reading it.

Wow, that was a creative thing to say.

Claire
    February 5th, 2011 16:07

Hi from Paris,
    What great news!
    Is there already a date for the third of my beloved audiobooks?

Julia
    February 5th, 2011 18:24

Ahh! I’, so excited, I cant wait to read it =)
    But I’m even more excited for the first picture to come out on March 1 because that’s my sweet sixteen =)

Cassie
    February 5th, 2011 19:47

Whooooo! Pumped!
    Is September 13 the release date in Great-Britain too?

Question about Behemoth that I forgot to ask before, when Dr.Barlow finds out that Alek named his perspicacious loris Bovril she seamed really upset but I’m wondering if that really disturbes her or if she’s just not used to beasts having their own names. (The second confuses me because Dr.Barlow did name both of her message parrots in the first book.)

UniYuki
    February 5th, 2011 20:10

So the message lizard LIES!!….But now I’m glad it does!I can’t wait!

Bookworm 1000
    February 5th, 2011 21:48

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

Dave
    February 6th, 2011 01:43

So when will you be optioning these stories to hollywood?

steampunk101
    February 6th, 2011 02:14

hey don’t get mad at the wee beastie it’s attic is scrambled since the ship got hit with lighting!!
    P.S. If the books done they what happens to it in between the release date and now?

Looksie Lovitz
    February 6th, 2011 02:23

Omigosh! I’ll be sooo sad when it ends but I’m so excited at the same time! Hopefully they will become movies so I can stretch this obsession out a bit.

Me!
    February 6th, 2011 02:30

Hello from New Zealand!!

Ahhhh!!! I’m so excited. Wahh, if only it came out sooner I could get it for my 17th birthday. Heh.
    Congratulations! It must feel incredible to finish a book, and start looking into cover art, etc.

I’m really interested in what you’re going to do next. I loved Midnighters, and I’ve only just started to read the Uglies series, and so far it’s brilliant! I was a fan of yours before I read Leviathan, and when I picked it up in the book store and read the first few pages, I didn’t even notice it was written by you, ahaha.
    You’ve really become a favorite of mine!

So many great things are happening in the YA world of books at the moment.

Thank you very much, Scott!! I can’t wait to see what you do next.

Biscuit
    February 6th, 2011 02:53

YAY! XD this news on top of finding out my sister was attacked by ninjas just made my day. (of course I’ll have to kill the ninjas)Anywho, this is awsome and it’s coming out three weeks ahead of time. XD I’m happy you’re done but at the same time I’m sad the series is over :( oh well life goes on.

bailey-wa
    February 6th, 2011 03:31

yippie! so you do know that your little lizard guy need to be saying “book 3 of Leviathan, Goliath, will be out September 13″ i’ve already changed my calender to say that. and ha! ‘i don’t know. i just work here.’ you make me laugh! oh i and i have a question for you, not really leviathan related but. do you mind us calling you Scott? my mom thinks we should call you Mr. Westerfeld and i was just wondering!

jacob
    February 6th, 2011 07:51

sweet i gona like it do u think the seris will become a movie

Sam
    February 6th, 2011 09:01

I too will need to change the release date on my calendar. That’s great news that the date has been moved up. I’m also curious as to what else needs to be done before we get our hands on it. What can you tell us about the process?

Sam
    February 6th, 2011 09:12

I forgot to mention that I’m really excited about the fourth book. :)

February 6th, 2011 12:50

Yay for an earlier release date! I very much can hardly wait/.

Sofia-la
    February 6th, 2011 21:19

Haha, not “Scott-Sensei”? Because I think that this point it’s fair to say that you’ve earned yourself a reputation bubble. Anyways, I can’t believe that was what the first draft of Extras was like. It just seems so different, considering that there isn’t too much known about Hiro by the end of the book, but we know so much about Aya. If you stuck with the first draft for the book, how would you write about the part where Aya’s mag-lev surfing with the Sly Girls and they stumble upon the inhumans/”city killers”? Would Aya still have discovered it or would you have changed it so Hiro ended up discovering it and kicking the story?

steampunk101
    February 7th, 2011 00:00

Gabhaimid buíochas leat as mo cheist a fhreagairt but I

steampunk101
    February 7th, 2011 00:04

Thanks for the answer, and I have another question (curiosity killed the cat never got into my head) Did Lilit guess Deyrn’s secret because she said ” I know you better than you think Mr.Sharp” and she said the Mr. like bovril????!!!!

Nebu
    February 7th, 2011 07:17

Eeeee it comes out earlier oh my gosh! :D I can’t wait for this! Best way to start off the school year!

Stargirl8
    February 7th, 2011 07:27

Omg!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait until September!!!!!!!! Thank god it’s not October anymore! That’s… *Counts on fingers* 7 months away!!!!!!!! *sighs and daydreams about Goliath* Also can’t wait until March for the spoiler art! I’ll be checking this website at least once a week scott-la as I did before! Horray for early releases!

awaywithmysanity
    February 7th, 2011 07:56

Lol. You do the same thing as me with the whole [ADD STUFF HERE] [FINISH THIS AFTER] ~ xD

I’m seriously excited for Goliath! The fact that it comes out earlier totally makes my day! :) (can’t wait for the art previews too!!!)

rose
    February 10th, 2011 00:50

first off i love the fact that Deryn’s name means bird and to fly. i thought it fits soooo well. i can not wait intill Goliath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emi-chan
    February 11th, 2011 00:18

YAY!!!!!!! Leviathan and Behemoth are two of my favorite books EVER! Can’t wait!!

TeamToshiBanana
    February 11th, 2011 05:34

Yay for Goliath!!
    Must we wait so loooong?
    Oh well… I hope Newkirk makes an appearance in Goliath! (is it just me or is he the iciest ever?!)
    ;) Can’t wait for the previews!!!

Stargirl8
    February 13th, 2011 03:21

Nope you’re not the only one wishing Newkirk would be in Goliath. Actually I’d think if Deryn didn’t end up with Alek she’d end up with Newkirk. Or am I just crazy to imagine that?;P Anyway, I’m kinda curious if Spencer or whatever-Deryn’s-brother-is-called will reappear at least for her wedding or any other event that will happen to Deryn. /:| Or does he die at some point in the war?:( I’ll be very sad if he does! (Crazy much?XP) Anywayz, I gtg now… GOLIATH 4EVER!

Kaykay47
    February 13th, 2011 21:00

YES!!! I only started the series and finished the 2nd book. I AM GOING CRAZY TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS!!!!! GO GOLIATH!!!!!

Kaykay47
    February 13th, 2011 21:19

Also, Scott or Mr. Westerfeld can i call you scott? Scott are they going to make a movie or what? PLEASE MAKE A MOVIE!!!! it would be so cool. I LOVE LEVIATHAN!!!!!

Jade
    February 19th, 2011 04:21

HUZZAH! GOLIATH’S RELEASE DATE HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED! :D

September is when school starts (ugh) but Goliath’s release will be the ultimate present if I get into the high school I auditioned for ^^ It’ll be enough to cheer me up about going to school in the first place (lol) Thank you Scott, for writing such an epic series! ;P

I’m not going to ask any questions for fear you’ll answer in a way that makes me more anxious for the book’s release >.<

Rad
    February 20th, 2011 07:31

This is my favorite series ever!(I like it even more than star wars) Now…3 weeks earlier! That makes it seem closer yet…it’s still so far.

Make a movie out of it, but make it completely animated. Leviathan the movie, I’d see it the day it came out in my area. Or if it came out somewhere else first, I’d go watch the illegal recordings on youtube.

unicorns
    February 21st, 2011 03:08

Oh my goodness! I am so excited for Goliath.I just finished the first book Leviathan and I LOVED IT! It’s like the best book EVER (I actually think I read it in like 5 hours or less, for me it really felt like 5 minutes,it went by so fast). I havnt actually read the second book yet (sad I know) when I saw that there was a third book I got so excited but then I got really sad because even though I havent read the second book,October is still to far away for the third. Please Mr.Westerfeld could you please let us read the book earlier than October?

unicorns
    February 21st, 2011 03:11

I am so excited for Goliath.I just finished the first book Leviathan and I LOVED IT! It’s like the best book EVER (I actually think I read it in like 5 hours or less, for me it really felt like 5 minutes,it went by so fast). I havnt actually read the second book yet (sad I know) when I saw that there was a third book I got so excited but then I got really sad because even though I havnt read the second book,October is still to far away for the third. Please Mr.Westerfeld could you please let us read the book earlier than October?

Eggeleh
    February 23rd, 2011 02:47

Yayayayayayayay. Sweeettttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    And the day I found Leviathan, (The librarian had just gotten like 30 new books at once) I instantly loved it, then I came home and my sister suggested I read some Scott westerfield books! XD (She has only read Uglies and had no idea what Leviathan was) Now, excuse me while I go pester my friends and drive them nuts talking about how awesomely cool Leviathan/Behemoth/Goliath is.

Gallion Shine
    February 23rd, 2011 04:12

Next year huh? tic tok tic tok tic tok tic tok tic tok tic tok tic tok tic tok tic tok tic……I CAN’T WAIT THIS LONG. I CAN HARDLY STAND IT!!!!!!!!!! MUST READ MORE! breathe, whew. I’m serious, and some people hav drug addictions, well I hav Westerfeld Leviathan addiction.
    YOU ROCK SCOTT WESTERFELD!! I WILL SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT YOUR BOOKS!!
    I found out some of my friends never even heard of these books. They are deprived and need Westerfeld nutrition STAT!! On a serious note, I think the combination of Scott Westerfeld’s writing and Kieth Thompson’s art are a huge power pack that nobody should miss. They give the five (six for us special ones ;) ) senses a good wake up call. Look out! Soon there will be team clanker and team darwinist! Keep reading people!!

Melatrix
    February 25th, 2011 21:52

YES! I cant wait for this book to come out! I actually read the LEVAITHAN in five hours and just couldnt put it down and finished the BEHEMOTH the day it arrived to my house. I’m re-reading the two books again and I’m just itching to get the next one and dive right in!

Will you be making a movie for this series?? owo It would be sooooooooooooooooooo aweeeeeeeeeeeeeesome if you did! The art in the book was one of my favourite aspects and seeing that come to life wouldjust blow my mind!!! XP

Crystal
    February 26th, 2011 22:40

OH MY GOD I RUB YOU SO MUCH. I WAS KINDA UPSET THAT IT WAS COMING OUT IN OCTOBER AND i THOUGH SAADDD :( (duh, I’m an IMPATIENT little girl :DDDD)
    I RUB YOU I RUB YOU I RUB YOU I RUB YOU <3

Rouge
    February 27th, 2011 18:44

Scott, I have been a fan since I read the first page of Leviathan (which was in December) and I had to wait until after Christmas exams to read the rest of it >:( but it was SO VERY WORTH IT. My sister had already ordered Bohemoth from the local bookstore (in the Bahamas ^.^) but had to wait because the shipment kept being delayed. When she got it I was half-way through Leviathan and as soon as I finished, I started reading Bohemoth, even though my sister was also reading it (we took turns). I completed both of those books in less than a week. And now I cannot WAIT for Goliath to come out!!!

This is how much I love you and your books :)

Lincoln
    February 28th, 2011 20:22

After this is done and released and all you should do a similar style of series for world war 2. I just thought it would be a good idea with a similar set of characters and such except in a different time period. Good luck with everything you may write.

emb
    March 2nd, 2011 02:21

Where is the Goliath picture that you were going to show?

robin
    March 3rd, 2011 05:59

Well done Scott! I am in the middle of Behemoth and loving it. Barking Spiders! You have finished book 3, Wow. Loving Keith’s artwork and trying hard not to pre-reveal any image until I get to it. Love to Justine and keep in touch.
    Seeya!

Taylor
    March 5th, 2011 02:44

OMG I’m so excited for Goliath to come but i don’t know if i can wait till september

Joseph
    March 11th, 2011 09:21

I do have a question. Out of all the books you have written, including this book series, which would you say you enjoyed writing the most and why?

Jan
    March 22nd, 2011 21:19

I teach, I’m chronologically “old”, but mentally right in line with my 8th graders. How scary is that. One of my students turned me onto your series. Love it. Can’t wait for book three. Just wondering how you got away with “get stuffed”….Americans (most) won’t have a clue, but your home peeps will.

Jan
    March 22nd, 2011 21:20

I teach, I’m chronologically “old”, but mentally right in line with my 8th graders. How scary is that? One of my students turned me onto your series. Love it. Can’t wait for book three. Just wondering how you got away with “get stuffed”….Americans (most) won’t have a clue, but your home peeps will.

Tuono Ragazza
    March 24th, 2011 21:34

@Jan
    Yeah, I’m American, and all I understand is that it’s an insult. Any chance that your going to clue me in(please?)?

Elena
    March 26th, 2011 06:32

Hi! Mr. Westerfeld. i must to say you that when i discovered the Uglies Series vision of life changed. I found These Series in december, the last year. To found The books in spanish, (My language) was very dificult. A friend of mine did lend me the books. Unfortunately I finished the books toosoon and my friend did back to his country.

In Mexico i cant find your novels (that’s very unfair). I have recommended Uglies to all my friend but as i’m telling to you, its hard to get them.

I want to read the Leviathan Series but there’s no version in spanish (I have been seeking), but the same friend that lend me Uglies, Has send me an electronic version of the first book in english. I don’t really know where he did get that, but its incredible. And i want to ask you permission to traslate it in spanis, cuz I want that more people know you, that way, if more people know ypu, it could be easier that i find your novels here in Mexico.

Thanks so much for writting. Life sucks without writters.

Love and admiration.

Elena

Joseph
    March 26th, 2011 07:19

At the top of your site, it says Goliath will be coming out September 20, but in all the typing you did, it says it will be out September 13. Can you explain this confusion?

Taylor
    March 26th, 2011 23:34

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOLIATH IS FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (times 1000000 more exlacmation marks!!!) CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD (times 100000000) Too excited to see what happens to Alek and Deryn!! I want him to find out!

Taylor
    March 26th, 2011 23:34

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOLIATH IS FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (times 1000000 more exclamation marks!!!) CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD (times 100000000) Too excited to see what happens to Alek and Deryn!! I want him to find out!

Joel
    April 7th, 2011 21:03

My only hope is that keith thompsan is doing all the illustrations.
    The guys a genius.
    But you are to Scott. :)

Kaitlin
    April 18th, 2011 03:31

Really? It comes out on Sept 13? But books stores wouldn’t be selling it until Sept 20…. :’(

Hanna
    April 26th, 2011 05:36

OMIGOSH! I had no idea that Behemoth was out until a few days ago and I just finished it tosday (I had to reread Leviathan of course!). I am soooo excited that Goliath is coming out EARLY! Its already on my calender. I am completely obsessed! I. AM. SO. EXCITED!

Jeremy
    April 27th, 2011 06:51

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This series is the best and congrats at finishing Goliath. I cant wait to read it. P.S 3 weeks early that unheard of i thing i might die i want to read it now.

Herman
    May 9th, 2011 11:52

Congratulations in finishing this book!, can’t wait to read it. I really want to thank you because your books have been a great inspiration for me, I’ve begun to write my own steam-punk story, (just a synopsis at the moment) but I’ve done some storyboards and character designs, I’d love to send it to you.
    Thanks again!

wolfie
    May 11th, 2011 08:24

O.M.G after i finiahed the first book leviathan i almost exploded bcuz i couldnt find behemoth anywhere ! and when i finiahed behemoth i almost cried bcuz i knew that i couldnt read the next book for months!!!!!!!!!!! is there ANY possible way you could release the first chapter????? :o )

Dean
    May 17th, 2011 06:05

The first two were beyond awsome and the last one will be too. Greatness takes time so I can wait but these have really got to be turned into movies.

Harshob
    May 17th, 2011 09:11

It’s so amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just one question?
    where is the book comming out like in which province and how much does it cost to buy?
    I would really like to know.
    I can’t wait till it comes out

Rory
    May 17th, 2011 12:22

I first found out about ‘Leviathan’ by accident, from then I have been hooked!!!!!!!!! Keep up the great work!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! etc…. by the way, have you sold the movie rights yet?
    :D
    Best trilogy ever!!!!!!!

Rory
    May 17th, 2011 12:23

how about you do a Dougls Adams, 6 books in the trilogy! :D

Eva
    May 24th, 2011 08:47

Just to think i might have never read leviathan if i hadn’t knocked over a few books from a shelf in the library by accident. I can’t even imagine that. So glad it happened! ;)

Brandon
    May 27th, 2011 00:39

Wait. You said that it’s coming out sept. 13, but the website says it’s coming out sept 20

Aubrey
    May 29th, 2011 07:33

Is it possible to get it bumped up even more than you already have it? Sure, you told everyone Sept. 20, but I’m sure no one will complain if Goliath comes out earlier. I know I certainly won’t. By the way, I heard someone get confused over the British insults. I love them! Not all the British terms was I able to keep up with, but I managed to acurrately guess what most, if not each, of them were.

Zack
    May 30th, 2011 08:01

I just finished Behemoth now (Why the wait? My funds kept getting reduced. D:) But I am syched for Goliath. So glad to see it come out earlier. :D

Loralei
    June 1st, 2011 10:54

Aaaag. joy

Mo
    June 3rd, 2011 01:42

yess! finaly!!!!
    also,just wondering, but if its done, despite editing and rewrites, why does it take so long to come out? i just cant stand how i have read so many series but im still waiting for last book………….. I hope it does not come out as a movie though, because them alot of people dont read the books. anyways, i happy its coming out earlier

Angelic~War
    June 8th, 2011 03:24

What an amazing trilogy! As mentioned previously by other fans, it would be awesome if you wrote more into this world. Thinking Tamora Pierce style, maybe you could continue through other characters’ perspectives in a different stage of this brilliant world with another series. Maybe as it was first being created? Later in the future? I don’t know, but it would be exceedingly interesting to read more. Somehow you’re able to incorporate detailed elements into an off-the-charts creative universe without letting the major themes of the story escape you. That’s a rare joy to read, and it’s a shame to have it end so soon. This is just the begging of a senseless fan, so…yeah, that’s about it. Keep writing those wonderful books!

Isabella
    June 8th, 2011 13:21

you don’t know how excited i am about Goliath. And, well, the only thing i hate is the fact that this series is only three books. And what if nothing happens between Deryn and Alek. But if something does happen, i hope it is at the start of the book (like, Deryn telling Alek she loves him and that she’s a girl) so it continues throughout the whole book.

P.S Could you say a leak about what happens if they do get together, because, who know, Alek is a prince and Deryn’s a commoner. OOOOOO, now i made myself more excited, damn.

owen!
    June 10th, 2011 09:28

this may be a little weird but you should know i finished Behemoth in one night, it was SO GOOD. Thank you for your godly writing.

Natalie
    June 16th, 2011 04:10

The best trilogy I have ever read (or atleast part of). And I read a lot. A LOT. I loved leviathan so much that as soon as I finished it I went straight to the library to get behemoth. It was so good I even introduced it to my non-reading friend. AND SHE READ IT IN ONE DAY. That’s saying something. Great job on finishing Goliath. I can’t wait that long!

Derek
    June 18th, 2011 19:06

really glad its done cant wait to read it i love the laviathan series

The Fledgling Handbook 101-A House of Night Guide Book For third formers
    June 19th, 2011 19:17

I only check this blog every two months and OMG! Golith is coming out a month earlier! So now I’m like freakin’ saving up my money for buying Goliath! I’m glad it’s done, but if it’s done and you have a cover, can you release it a wee bit sooner?
    Can you at least let us know about Deryn and Alek’s would be/could be relationship? Please? Pretty Please?

purple nerd
    June 24th, 2011 00:59

i check this blog everyday, finished behemoth in one day, and read it 5 times. i cant wait for Goliath! I say Goliath should be released and whoever does get a copy before it’s sold out to bad. im sorry but september too far away.

purple nerd
    June 24th, 2011 01:05

i read these books so fast and get soooo absorbed in them i dont hear anything or notice time going by like i’ll be on page 5 and when i see what page im on later im on like 97 and i swear it’s only been five minutes.

purple nerd
    June 24th, 2011 01:07

i wish i could have Bovril

Milkshake308
    June 25th, 2011 03:53

I have a question. In chapter 3 of the hardcover version of Leviathan (I don’t know if it’s the same in paperback) Deryn says that her guidebook was called the Manual of Aerology, but I’ve also seen the Manual of Aeronautics, so…which one is it?

Mikki
    June 26th, 2011 19:54

YESSSS! I’m so pumped. But OBVIOUSLY, the real question here is; When will the Kindle-edition be available!?!?!?… Or maybe that doesnt matter, I’ll just read the book the day it comes out, and then re-read it the day the Kindle-edition comes out. (Yup, that sounds just about perfect.)

Oh, and congrats on finishing the trilogy and all that other stuff.

And, if Deryn and Alek don’t declare thier love for one another, I will seriously throw something, I promise. :DDD

Ryan
    June 28th, 2011 00:37

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooo…………
    Um……I’m done :)

mysterycarroll@ymai.com
    July 7th, 2011 23:34

omg thank you so much for moving it to sep 13 2011 but is ther any way u can get it out march 6 2011 plez plez plez that would be awesome if u did is ther any way possible or at least put a sneek peek maby 2 chps long

Mint Tea
    July 22nd, 2011 04:51

Oh my Spanish guitar players. GOLIATH COMES OUT ON MY BIRTHDAY! Please excuse me while I weep happy tears. This is honestly the best birthday gift ANYONE could veer give me. THANK-YOU SO MUCH.

darwinist 110
    July 29th, 2011 21:46

YAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i LOVE behemoth and leviathon… i finished leviathon in like 10 hours then ordered behemoth off amazon with overnite shipping the minute i was done.. im soo excited for behemoth but im sad that the series will be over :( I hope they make this series into a movie (with 3 movies not some dinky single movie where the end it after the first book). Also Scott do you think you could release the 1st chapter early?? ONe last thing, I really hope Deryn tells Alek shes a girl really early in the book and not like in the very last chapter so then you can havw that element through the whole book! Although you can’t really chane that now.. well hope you already did it! I’m gunna go start readin the Uglies now!!

Waterfish
    August 2nd, 2011 21:06

I am FREAKING OUT!!!!!? Leviathan is my all-time favorite series after the Hunger Games and Gregor the Overlander. (you should read them if you haven’t already) I have waited for this for TOO LONG!!!!! Thanks SO MUCH for publishing it early!!!!! (and sorry for all the caps and exclamations?)

Shreya
    August 3rd, 2011 21:28

(sigh) I’m not even finished with Leviathan(can’t pronounce that word for my life) yet. But I’m taking my time this time, i usually read too fast for my own good, so that i won’t have to wait for Goliath. Poohey, i want it really bad!!! are there any ARC’s? I also want everyone to realize that deryn is a girl so that they can be all: “ohhhh my barking spiders!! a GIRL is better than ME at something!? O_O

deshi
    August 5th, 2011 13:31

OMG!MORE THAN A MONTH!I CANT WAIT!
    I LOVE YOU SCOTT WESTRFELD

clanker101
    August 5th, 2011 13:33

im gonna get damn pissed if alek and deryn get together in like the last chapter!god dont let it be like that:(

LeviathanOCD
    August 5th, 2011 21:38

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYYAAAYAYAYAYYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy that GOLIATH is coming out so soon, but I am rlyrlyrlyrlyrlyrlyrlyrlyrlyrlyrlyrlyrlyrlrylry sad that the BEST SERIES OF ALL TIME is coming to an end. I know this is a trilogy, but Scott, plzplzplzplzplzplzpplzplzplzplz make an exception to the definition!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. sorry for being overdramatic ;D

reed
    August 8th, 2011 21:28

hey EVERYONE PLEASE READ this post. this is a spoiler for some and a great theory for others. in the book behemoth Lilit kissed Deryn and said she was curious but i think she had a hunch that deryn was actually a girl so she kissed him to see if she was really who she said she was and found out she wasnt so thts why she said she knew more than she thought

katie
    August 13th, 2011 00:32

how come the message lizard says the book comes out on the 20th if its coming out on the 13th?????

Genie L-H
    August 16th, 2011 09:04

I AM SOOO F&^KING HAPPY!!!! I THINK IM GUNNA GO INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!

estelladeyuna
    August 20th, 2011 09:21

I’m so excited!!! Scott has done a masterpiece in my eyes!!! :D I CANNOT WAIT!!! YAY :D

Katherine
    August 25th, 2011 03:34

u rock man this is awsome it comes out the day after my bday!

aynonomus
    August 28th, 2011 23:11

I have never read any of the books, but I was just on Rick Riordan’s website

jacob
    September 1st, 2011 09:24

i am your BIGGEST fan i wish that GOLIATH was out now ive read Leviathan 2 times and Behemoth 4 times!!!!! i canttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt wait

Caitie
    September 4th, 2011 02:48

Could you please send me a copy of Goliath… please?!?! I MUST read this book NOW. I can’t wait any longer…..

Sydster234
    September 5th, 2011 21:59

Q: Is it hard to write a trilogy?

jacob
    September 6th, 2011 08:00

Q:what is your favourite book out of the Leviathan series scott?

Ryan
    September 10th, 2011 09:24

Is it the 13th of September or the 20th of september???
    Neeeeeeeeeeeed too know!!! Love these books…I like how they relate too ww1 but with completely different things like the walker that was so cool to read about

o_0
    September 11th, 2011 03:58

I…I……I Freaken Want It! >:o

Thompson
    September 12th, 2011 02:05

Awsome book series! But i would like to know if you are going to write more books on the topic of the fight between the darwinist and the clankers or are you just going to drop the topic and go to something else? and what is the the release date sept 13 or 20?

purplenerd
    September 13th, 2011 01:46

TOMORRROW IS THE AWESOME DAY WHEN IT COMES OUT!!!!!! XDDD

joe
    September 21st, 2011 04:28

ugh i’m so depressed WHY DOES IT HAVE TO END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was my favorite sieries i donk know what i’m gonna read now :(

Alex
    September 22nd, 2011 23:04

FFFF YES finally, my library should get it as soon as possible, or I will give them threats of raman related torture

Hunter
    September 23rd, 2011 03:48

OMG I just finished Goliath I am extremely upset that the book series is over and way to throw us off a cliff with that ending I DEMAND MORE lol…still best books EVAH :)

Hunter
    September 23rd, 2011 03:49

So new book done yet?

Hunter
    September 23rd, 2011 03:50

How about now?

Hunter
    September 23rd, 2011 03:50

Hmmmmm……..………………..

Derp
    September 26th, 2011 13:49

wait. wait O _O it’s 26! IS THERE STILL A BOOK OUT THERE FOR ME?!? I might be able to buy ‘em on Saturday D:

> .> I can has hard-cover?

luke harvey
    October 1st, 2011 20:36

can’t wait to read goliath

aynonomus
    October 10th, 2011 21:04

GO PERCY JACKSON (random)
    GO SCOTT WESTERFELD

aynonomus
    October 10th, 2011 21:07

I was just on Rick Riordan’s website looking for when his next book is coming out (the Son of Neptune. I totally love the Percy Jackson and the Olympian Series) and I was looking at his book recommendation list and I saw this series. I googled it and read a summary and it looked totally awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!( IDK I already wrote this, but whatever)
    I just read Leviathan and Behemoth they are AWESOME. (hee hee)

zach
    October 22nd, 2011 01:21

It is the best book ever!!!!! Hey scott is there going to be another book?

Charmeuer101
    October 26th, 2011 05:53

I started Leviathan on a Friday night, could not put it down, and finished it on Saturday . THe book was so good i went and got the next one which I also finished in a matter of days. I loved the books and could not put them down. I am now reading the Uglies and this book is so good that ti can’t stop reading it!!!!!!
    Thank You so much I could not find a enjoyable and fun book for a long time and now i am trying to save it so that i can enjoy it. THank You so much
    My mom had asked for recommendations and she found this and it was the happiest day of my life!!!!
    Thank You so so so so so so so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(:

Charmeuer101
    October 26th, 2011 05:54

I have a question too?
    ???? Would it be possible to write a follow up about what happens to Alek and Deryn i loved the romance and i really want to know what happens?

bob
    November 8th, 2011 07:14

could you post the first um 20 chapters for me to read im a big fan and started reading it cause a friend read it (i was low on books at the time) so i started it and loved it please post the first 20 chapters

Bean
    November 12th, 2011 05:24

Alek and Deryn had better get married or something, or I will write fanfiction while sobbing when I should be writing essays for school! I WILL DO IT.

Sir Francis Daly
    November 16th, 2011 08:31

I cant wait till I read it. Good job on the book. awesome fan.

Justin t
    December 26th, 2011 08:56

Almost done with Goliath!
    This is probably the best series I’ve ever read!

Is it weird for me, a boy to be reading this?

Justin t
    December 26th, 2011 08:59

Now that I think of it, why couldn’t the darwanist use the fleccette bats against kappas?

Matt
    January 10th, 2012 06:53

Please make some kind of series spanning off this one! This is to goo an idea to waste on just 3 books!

Verbos en Ingles
    February 20th, 2012 21:32

I seldom drop responses, however i did some searching and wound up here Goliath Is Done! westerblog. And I actually do have 2 questions for you if it’s allright. Could it be just me or does it look as if like some of the responses look as if they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing on other places, I’d like to follow anything new you have to post. Could you make a list of all of your shared pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

Kiana
    June 8th, 2012 07:22

xD lol i love the series great job! please make more books thoughhhh >.< i hate to have a great book series and it end real early. But anyway, please consider making more of these ( i know it takes a while but its worth it xD).
    I'll be getting the field guide thing too! c:

Iron EYE
    December 5th, 2012 07:20

I got your second book at 10:30 am started reading at 11:00 and finished at 7:45. (do I read too much?). Why do you have so many “accidents” in your book “BEHEMOTH”? The revolution goes good but they should have had the leviathans marines disembark and join the revolution but of course disguised.