Midnighters TV Show

October 10th, 2012

A TV show based on my Midnighters trilogy might be an actual thing.

Here’s the scoop from Deadline:

A year after Chuck ended its run, the cult dramedy’s creators Chris Fedak and Josh Schwartz have reunited for Midnighters, a drama based on the Alloy sci-fi/fantasy book trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. This time, Fedak is the sole writer on the project, which is being produced by Schwartz and Stephanie Savage’s Fake Empire, Alloy Entertainment and Warner Bros. Television. Midnighters, which has received a script commitment, is a drama centered on a small group of people all born at the stroke of midnight who have access to the 25th hour of the day. Fedak, Schwartz and Savage executive produce with Fake Empire’s Len Goldstein and Alloy’s Leslie Morgenstein and Gina Girolamo. The Midnighters book series includes The Secret Hour (2004), Touching Darkness (2005) and Blue Noon (2006).

Of course, a “script commitment” means exactly that: a commitment that a script will get written. If this script isn’t good, that will be that. But if it’s good, then you’d get a pilot commitment, and if that’s good, some episodes . . . and thus you’d have a TV SHOW!

But when?

Well, TV moves faster than publishing. So if things work out, we could be seeing an actual Midnighters show a year from now, along with the other new shows of 2013.

Do I have any involvement with this? No one’s asked me to help. (I have less control over Midnighters than my other “properties,” for reasons too boring to go into here.) But I will be snarking from the sidelines, at least.

Some of you may remember that the Midnighters TV show was a thing back in 2007. They wanted to age the characters up to their “mid- to late-twenties,” which I thought was a silly idea, and wrote this blog post about it.

But that version didn’t happen, like most things don’t happen. (Look out your window, As you can see, no plane crash just happened. Proof that MOST THINGS DON’T HAPPEN.*) And hopefully, there will be no aging up of Dess, Rex, Jonathan, Melissa, and Jessica in this version either.

Because 25-year-olds sneaking out at midnight—not magical.

Luckily, I’ve heard that Chuck was a cool show. I’ll be taking a look at it, and will report back.

Watch this space for details about Mid-TV and all of my other “properties.” (Seriously, that’s what they call them in Hollywood. It’s like they’re playing Monopoly.)

In the meantime, let’s look at some lovely Midnighters fan art of yesteryear.

__________
*If a plane crash did just happen out your window, that was spooky, and kind of tasteless of me. Sorry.

By Shira-chan!

By scotty9539! (no relation)

69 Responses to “Midnighters TV Show”

October 10th, 2012 14:35

w00t! 1st comment! and i love the fact that Scott’s finally being recognized in the media! ok, now i just need to read the whole Midnighters series before October 2013… no biggie.

H2TW
    October 10th, 2012 16:03

2nd comment yay:)

Tardis
    October 10th, 2012 16:04

I hope they do it justice!

H2TW
    October 10th, 2012 16:12

If the Midnighters really do come out as a TV show, that’s so cool.
    But I’ve noticed that always in movies or TV shows, the actors are actually much older than the real characters. So maybe even if they aren’t in their mid-twenties, they might not be teens :/

And this isn’t very cool, but about the sentence about the monopoly stuff, it’s they’re not their.

Kirsten
    October 10th, 2012 18:02

If Midnighters actually becomes a TV show and they do it right it will make my life. I LOVE that book series!!!! <3

Sandy
    October 10th, 2012 21:47

Woohoo! I definitely prefer books becoming TV shows over movies, so much more space to work with and less cutting out of scenes and characters. I hope the show doesn’t age up the characters either, there have been successful shows done with teenage characters before so I can’t see why this can’t work with this show. Also adults sneaking out at midnight would be kind of silly, and not so magical.

nerezza-la
    October 10th, 2012 23:25

in related news, i have a new favourite TV show.

i really like the idea, as other seem to, of this becoming a TV show. i have a few questions on whether or not they’ll start at the beginning of book one and work there way through book 3 and then end the show, or if theyll contine it after that, or if an entirely new plot will be invented.
    i’ve never read a book that became a TV show, so this is entirely new for me.

i’d rather have 20-somethings playing 20-somethings than them playing teens. Midnighters will NOT become GLee!

Oraldisaster101
    October 11th, 2012 01:07

Oh. My. God. This just changed MY WHOLE LIFE~!

Venus-la
    October 11th, 2012 01:38

I would totally watch it! But probably not at midnight though. That would be a bit creepy.

Elizabeth-wa
    October 11th, 2012 01:50

A plane literally flew over my house at the exact second I read the sentence about the plane crash. (It didn’t thankfully crash. But it was kinda creepy.)

I would love to see Midnighters turned into a TV show!

Mary
    October 11th, 2012 01:56

Wow, I was just talking to one of my friends about a month ago about some of our favorite books that we’d like to see turned into movies. When The Midnighters came up I mentioned that, although I’m usually not a fan of TV shows based off of books, I thought that a Midnighters TV show could work really well.

Vivian
    October 11th, 2012 02:13

Such good news! So excite! I hope you get to be involved with the writing, Scott, at least to some extent, because unless they’re going to do BBC-sized seasons, there’s going to have to be quite a few filler episodes/arcs in order for it to last any length of time, and I think you should be able to give some input as to what they add. That way, it’ll be closer to the feel of the original series (can I call it canon in this case…? I feel like yes.) and we don’t get a bunch of over dramatic teenage angst, which we get enough of in the canon and in, you know, every other young adult television show ever.

EXCITE.

Ren W.
    October 11th, 2012 02:23

Chuck was amazing and I am sure that in his hands Midnighters will be an instant hit! If not I will personally find a way to write, direct, and produce the TV shows.

Rose
    October 11th, 2012 02:33

Yaaaaay! All my TV shows have just ended (either for the season or for who-knows-however-long). I really, really, really want Midnighters to be a TV show. But a good one, like, a really good one, not just mediocer?

Rose
    October 11th, 2012 02:34

That was not ment to be a question.

Black cat
    October 11th, 2012 03:05

I loooovvvveeee the midnighters and think the show should be a hit

Moonie
    October 11th, 2012 03:19

My friend Micah has this plan to somehow sneak our way onto set to be extras…

Joo Dee
    October 11th, 2012 04:23

those drawings are so cool

wandering-dreamer
    October 11th, 2012 04:33

Kinda sad that you’re the original creator yet are totally out of the loop for stuff, hope everything works out well regardless!

Barking_spiders
    October 11th, 2012 04:37

I read this, dropped my phone, and gave a ecstatic fangirl scream that I didn’t know I was capable of. My mom thought I saw a spider. :/ Anyways… OH. MY. GOSH. My life has changed forever. Seriously. I cannot describe just how excited/happy/spazzed I am right now. I REALLY hope this succeeds!!! And seriously? Mid-to-late-twenties??? Come on, television producers, there are too many reasons to list in this comment for keeping the characters at their proper age. Oh well, adult Midnighters are better than no Midnighters! Can’t wait for more info on this!!! =DDD

Melanie
    October 11th, 2012 05:19

If this happened, I WOULD BE SO HAPPY. Midnighters is one of my favorite series. I would love to see it turned into a television series. :)

I want to see Rex! <3

Zee
    October 11th, 2012 05:27

Thats awesome fot you, Scott! And I’ve watched Chuck (if it’s the same chuck…. but how many shows are named “chuck?”) It is an awesome show!

October 11th, 2012 07:59

I REALLY hope this happens!!! That would be the best! I Though I still am dying for an Uglies film!!!

October 11th, 2012 08:02

I agree, when they make characters older than in the book it ruins it. Just watch The Lightning Thief. And I haven’t read Midnighters, but does this mean maybe there could be a Leviathan movie in the near future since you’re getting more involved in the media? (You did say this stuff was pretty much out of your control, but that’s beside the point.)
    Ramdomish: And you should license Leviathan to Lego!! Seriously. That would be so barking awesome.

October 11th, 2012 08:26

Ooh, awesome! I just wish they would include the authors more. After all, it’s *their* precious (or however you want to think of your books XD).

@24: That would be awesome. I have posed this question before, but: Anyone for a Leviathan musical? And, no, I don’t mean like Legally Blonde/ Annie/ etc. I mean something on the scale of Les Miserables, in three parts of course. Only me want to see a Leviathan musical?

Also, @24, my DVD of the Lightning Thief is in pieces in the trash. My family cared so much about it that we laughed when we realized that my sister had broken apart. Talk about an awful movie….(my opinion)

Joo Dee
    October 11th, 2012 08:27

@24- oll that’d be bubbly i’d buy those legos probably..

Kristina-la
    October 11th, 2012 10:11

Oh my Rowling! This is epic news!!!!!

This years been a good year for new shows!

Revolution
    666
    Arrow

Let’s cross our fingers that we can add midnighters to the list next year! :)

October 11th, 2012 14:44

@24&25, genius! i shall no longer be an impulse buyer. i shall sacrifice this habit to the cause of Leviathan LEGO and a Leviathan Musical. yes, Middy K, i think that a musical would be awesome. i’ve never seen Les Miserables, but i haven’t heard anything negative about it ever so i’m okay with it. complete with Steampunk-y crank organs, too, of course. i don’t know why, but i always imagined someone in the street playing a crank organ for money…

Reenie-La
    October 11th, 2012 17:59

Oh wow! That is soo awesome~! I need to like read Midnighters soon then, (been meaning to but I keep rereading Uglies), haha~! xD

DaRCman
    October 11th, 2012 20:41

RECOGNIZED!!!!
    Good for you Sir Westerfeld!

Gavinfuzzy
    October 11th, 2012 21:11

Might have to read the books then…

*Please let there be a Leviathan movie now…*

Awesome news that your work can be adapted and broadcasted to a wider audience… Again, more chance of a director picking up Leviathan. :D

Meg-la
    October 11th, 2012 21:39

Wow Mr. Westerfeld, that’s amazing! I’ve never actually read Midnighters, and I probably won’t anytime soon since I’m trying to tackle Les Mis and my boyfriends younger brother is throwing books at me. But the fact that there is the possibility of one of your books becoming a TV show is amazing! I’ll definitly tune in every week if this becomes a reality.

Person with Hat
    October 12th, 2012 02:44

This is motivating me to actually read Midnighters.

October 12th, 2012 06:11

@ 32: You’re reading Les Mis? Me too! Isn’t it amazing! I’m trying to finish it before the movie comes out….

Echo:)
    October 12th, 2012 06:28

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa S M
    October 12th, 2012 07:07

The Midnighters books are my favourite books ever. Pretty sure Dess and Jonathan are the reason I’m most the way through a math/physics degree :) I really hope this works out.

October 12th, 2012 09:19

The whole TV show is pretty cool but I haven’t read Midnighters and probably never will so sorry to be a kill joy but yeah. Sigh.

Theatricality
    October 12th, 2012 22:34

My god. This will make my life, should it actually happen and should the TV people not ruin the characters.
    I also sincerely hope they don’t make my beloved midnighters fight crime, as they would have in the 2007 show.
    Because Jonathan arresting himself would make very little sense.

October 13th, 2012 00:30

@25: (#1) I think a very well-done musical would be awesome. And I can’t get the image of Volger singing and dancing out of my head. That would be hilarious.
    @25: (#2) I saw the Lightning Thief in my middle school L.A. class. I didn’t like it because the plot was so different from the book, and the protagonist actors were in their mid-twenties, it seemed. I hate it when movies of books incorporate some weird plot into the story while dumbing-down and simplifying the original story structure.

@26: I would definitely buy ALL of them. :D

October 13th, 2012 04:22

@ 39: The Lightning Thief movie shrivels even more now with The Mark of Athena….

Cloud pilot
    October 13th, 2012 19:48

A midnighters tv show !! That would be so awsome . But how would the story continue if Jessica is trapped in the midnight hour. Or would it start from the beginning ? On an unrelated note there is a barking spiders pub that i have seen In my area

Cloud pilot
    October 13th, 2012 19:49

Spoils sorry

October 13th, 2012 22:19

a pub called Barking Spiders??? ooh, i can see that working: The Barking Spider Bar and Grill! where’s this Barking awesome Barking Spiders place?

Shawna
    October 13th, 2012 23:35

That’s cool. I liked Midnighters, although the ending kinda depressed me. It also left me thinking it would be cool if you returned to the characters ten years later and picked up with them for another story. But yeah, trying to tell this story about 25-year-olds just wouldn’t work. Not that that’ll stop them from casting people in their twenties anyway, but hopefully it’ll at least be 20-somethings who look like teenagers.

Rose
    October 14th, 2012 01:16

@44 I found the end of the series funny. Everyone was moping/thinking about how screwed up their lives were, and then there was Dess, musing about how math is so coll and how she’s going to make a ton of money programming computers and stuff.

October 15th, 2012 14:43

somewhat randomly, i found this really cool/weird essay online. it kind of reminded me of Uglies in a strange way- but instead of everyone being “Ugly” and becoming “Pretty”, everyone has to be “normal” with no skills, talent, or superiority over one another. those with beauty are forced to wear horrible stuff; cleaver-boots wear mental hadicapping devices. i think it’s a great thing for considering all sorts of moral and ethical stuff. i won’t spoil all of it with my views, though, you’ll just have to enjoy it yourself! maybe we’ll all have a Rights movement together after reading this… what have i just started?

October 16th, 2012 04:34

@ 41 & 43: LOL That made my day. XD

Joo Dee
    October 16th, 2012 05:23

@46- wow, that story was really good. its really sad though…
    also, to whoever recommended the book thief, its really cool I love how the first chapter is called death and chocolate so yea thx

Person with Hat
    October 16th, 2012 05:48

So one of the things I do when I’m bored on the internet is look up the meaning of names. I looked up Deryn and the website said it came from the Welsh word “aderyn” meaning bird.

October 16th, 2012 06:30

@49: Ooh, I know! Her name means ‘bird’…. (Scott, was that planned?) And any for of ‘Alexander’ means ‘defender of men.’ And I’m pretty sure Alek’s is the Slavic version? Someone correct me? Anyway, it’s extremely difficult for me to type or write any other form of ‘Aleksandar’ or ‘Alek.’ (And I will leave it there because I don;t want to dredge up that other books series again, thank you.)

By the way, did you know that Adela Rogers was born a year before Dr. Barlow? (Unless my sources were false.)

Mostly, though, when I get bored a feel like googling things I look up Franz and Sophie because they are so cute….

Christian McIntire
    October 16th, 2012 09:08

Congratulations, Scott!

Haven’t seen you since Arts, and glad to see you doing well.

October 16th, 2012 14:48

@49, but isn’t Deryn Scottish, not Welsh? i think getting them confused is a fairly easy way to offend every Sottish and Welsh person within earshot if you say that in public. just warning you. and in my spare time, i’m usually searching for a good website to watch good Anime on. it’s really hard to find it dubbed to English sometimes.

Camila
    October 16th, 2012 16:09

My perfect life:

1- a WELL MADE Midnighters show
    2- all of Scott’s books made movies or shows or musicals
    3- a re-do of The Lightning Thief
    4- more books from Scott Westerfeld

Person with Hat
    October 16th, 2012 23:54

@52- Deryn is from Glasgow but her name is Welsh according to the website I used.

Rose
    October 17th, 2012 02:52

@52 when I read you get Scotland and Wales mixed up, my first thought: how can ANYONE get those mixed up? They’re on totally different ends of the British Isle, the cultures are completely different, as are the languages…oh, wait. Not everyone obsess about cultures/countries like I do. Right.

October 17th, 2012 14:47

@55, no, it’s fine, i like getting technical like that. although i have been scolded once for getting too picky on details… but you’ve just spelled out my Scotland/ Wales point exactly, so now everyone knows. thank you!

October 19th, 2012 04:05

@ 52: Yes, Deryn is Scottish, but her name is Welsh.

Middy Miles
    October 19th, 2012 06:24

Hey, so since I can’t remember if I posted about it or not, Chapter 32 is on my blog! Click on my name!
    So, so do any of you actually read Orion, or was that only the people that used to be on? Because if none of you do, that makes me really sad, and I suggest you start reading it :)

October 19th, 2012 06:26

@58: I do.

Bethany
    October 19th, 2012 14:45

Gah I’m so excited. I mean I’m well aware that it still might not be a thing, but the fact that it may be a thing is awesome. Midnighters is seriously one of my favorite series. I’d love to see how “hollywood” would interpret it, although it could change comepletely…
    In any case I’m excited.

Horse N Buggy
    November 30th, 2012 03:35

Full disclosure: I have not read the Midnighters books.

I agree that it sounds like it would be silly to have 25 y.o. people “sneaking out” at midnight. I also want to explain that reading books with young characters is VERY different from watching tv shows about young characters. Case in point – the new show Revolution on NBC. I was pretty excited about that show until a few episodes in. The main character is around 18 and she is just HORRIBLE as a lead character. That could be poor writing, inconsistant character development, etc. But a book is over in a week. A tv show lasts 20 – 22 weeks per year. That’s a whole lot of story for a young character to carry. Big, big difference.

Christopher Skliros
    January 30th, 2013 07:24

I loved this series and I am so glad that you are successful.

This series could either work really well or be an absolute flop… but that goes for pretty much everything in life!

Keep up the excellent work, Scott!

Brigit
    February 20th, 2013 20:48

Oh my god what I would give to work on this show. I would kill to be in this or on the set or crew U G H.

Shay-wa
    May 14th, 2013 23:38

omg how did i not no about this!!!!

?????????
    October 18th, 2013 20:54

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my site thus i came to “return the favor”.I’m attempting
    to find things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

account 2013 video
    October 25th, 2013 10:44

Thhis is my first time pay a visit at here and i am in fact
    impressed to read all aat single place.

Feel free to surf to my website … account 2013 video

partition
    February 4th, 2014 18:05

Thank you very much., You are a good writer.
    In addition to art that will give you good
    I congratulate you

partition
    February 5th, 2014 14:28

Also, Sebastian is the name of the hot-demon-butler in Black Butler.

Tracy Mason
    April 2nd, 2014 19:06

Did you know Nikola Tesla was born at the stroke of midnight?
    It’s like Goliath and The Midnighters had a baby.