Goliath Word Cloud

April 20th, 2011

Back in 2009 I blogged a word cloud of Leviathan as a NaNoWriMo tip.

Word clouds (made easy by the lovely and clever people at Wordle) are graphic representations of which words appear, and how often, in your novel, blog, or whatever. The words are sized, of course, in relation to how many times they pop up.

Word clouds great for spotting words that a writer uses too often, like my terrible habit of people frowning before they say something, or my once-rampant obsession with the word “effulgent.”

They’re also kind of fun for creating quasi-spoilery anticipation. And with that goal in mind, I offer you the Goliath word cloud five months before the book comes out!

Click here to see the full-size version. You know you want to.

Your sharp young eyes will no doubt note that I had to remove one word from the results. It was just too spoilerizing, and rather big as you can see. But the rest remains unaltered.

Of course, certain words that are missing (or quite small) can be just as spoilery as the ones that are there. So don’t look too close unless you want to suffer from S3krit Knowledge You Cannot Forgetz.

For my own purposes, I’m glad to see that “frowned” is very wee, and “effulgent” nowhere to be found. Sadly, “barking” is smaller than I thought it would be, and “perspicacious” totally missing! (But don’t worry, “Bovril” is happily medium sized.)

Best of all, the dreaded “just” is either not there or too tiny to see, so that’s another bad habit of mine expunged. Yay.

If you’re a writer, this old NaNoWriMo post of mine will give you a few more hints how to use word clouds in your own work.

See you on Fan Art Friday!

167 Responses to “Goliath Word Cloud”

DarwinsAngels
    April 20th, 2011 08:29

Haha! Brilliant. Ima liking that cloud you have there :D

But I agree! The lack of ‘barking’ and ‘perspicacious’ is quite sad…

Elizabeth-wa
    April 20th, 2011 08:30

It looks great. “Just” is in there though, and fairly big too.

Celina
    April 20th, 2011 08:45

Gaah~ The ‘spoiler removed’ space is simply driving me insane! I must be crazy indeed to try to figure out what word/words were there by simply the shape of the space. >_< Worth a try, no?

Kaitlin
    April 20th, 2011 08:49

Seeing the name Deryn is large and Dylan is quite small proves that Alek discovers Deryn is a girl.

Wanda Vaughn
    April 20th, 2011 08:53

That is a really cool tool! I’m almost afraid to try it on my novel. :) But I will. Tomorrow. For now, I need sleep.

waxesnostalgic
    April 20th, 2011 09:25

True, Kaitlin. :) I’m excited!

I like how “end” and “message” are together.

But I am sad that “last” is so large. :(

amo
    April 20th, 2011 09:26

Did anyone see “lady”, “girl”, and “Miss”?

Nicola
    April 20th, 2011 09:34

I didn’t see girl, but I did see “Malone,” “New” and “York.” Slightly ridiculously excited.

YoursTruly
    April 20th, 2011 09:36

Eddie’s back!
    PS If any of you watch Hetalia, get out your handy dandy Behemoth and find that picture of Malone.

Now go look at a picture of America from Hetalia.
    (Psst! here’s a linkhttp://media.photobucket.com/image/america%20hetalia/spottedcherries/America_new.png?o=383)

Now compare them!
    …………………….
    ……………………
    Weird, huh?
    If Eddie had blonde hair, he would look just like America!

YoursTruly
    April 20th, 2011 09:51

Umm…sorry everyone that link totally didn’t work out. Or at least on my page, it made the whole thing flip out!

Anyways yes, I did noticed the “Miss” and “girl” and all that jazz. I really don’t think many conclusions can be drawn from that though because 1. Deryn thinks about her secret all of the time 2. There are bound to be new characters.
    Has a lot of potential nonetheless!
    @Nicola- Good job on “New” and “York”
    Another one at the bottom that you might not have noticed was “world.” :D
    One that gets me excited is “cargo” and “message.” From the “two headed messenger” and the picture where Alek and Deryn are in a cargo bay, this helps direct us where the plot will be going and what we can expect from Dr. Barlow! Some other words that go along with this – German, Clanker, Istanbul, weapon and walker (ps weird pirate walker?) (relating to cargo…maybe the goliath is something already on board the Leviathan?)

Also I would like to point out some weird word pairings in here just by chance.
    -Alek’s lady (bottom right :D)
    -This isn’t weird but it just made me happy that one of the words is “barking”
    -This one made me sad. Idk if anything will come of it, but does anyone think it’s a bit ominous that the words “never” and “last” are inside Alek’s name?

Awww… :(

jemmy1213
    April 20th, 2011 10:00

Muahaha!!! *Over analyzes* I saw ‘girl’ and had a spaz attack! WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sadly it is a bit small BUT IT’S STILL THERE!!!! I also saw ‘Istanbul’ which made me think a bit too hard. (Why are they still talking about Istanbul if they’ve already put it behind them?) And I didn’t see ‘Goliath’ anywhere… hmmm… (I do see ‘hands’ and ‘hand’ which I find really random and weird- even if it is a really ‘hands on book’.) ‘One’ is pretty large in the middle, I wonder what that’s about… I see ‘room’… interesting…. Well… this has been my favorite spoiler post so far! (Besides the pictures, nothing can beat them!)

YoursTruly
    April 20th, 2011 10:01

One of the big words is also “mr.” I can just imagine….

Bovil: /Mr/ Sharp!
    Deryn: Shut up!
    Alek: What does that mean?
    Brovil: /Mr/ Sharp! /Mr/ Sharp!
    Deryn: Arrg!
    Alek: /Mr/ Sharp…hmmm….
    Borvil: /Mr/ /Mr/ /Mr/ /Mr/ Sharp! Mr.!
    Deryn: Shut-
    Borvil: S-H!
    Deryn: You’re-
    Borvil: A-R!
    Deryn: Trap-
    Borvil: P! SHARP! /MR/ SHARP!
    Deryn: Beastie!
    Alek: *clueless*
    Borvil: /Mr/!
    Alek: Mr…hmmm…
    Borvil: Sharp!
    Alek: Mr. Sharp? /Mr./ Sharp….hmmm…wait….GOD’S WOUNDS!

Moonie
    April 20th, 2011 10:03

LOOK HOW BIG DERYN’S NAME IS.

pgbjdhmnde omg alek is going to start using her real name
    :DDDDDDDDDDDDD

Also, i am surprised to see Newkirk’s name as well! I was assuming he wouldn’t be that important here. Hmm.

Rogers is a new character, I assume.

jemmy1213
    April 20th, 2011 10:03

Aww the ‘never’ and ‘last’ inside Alek’s name is really depressing. But I did notice a ‘Rogers’, which is probably some new character that will have some huge affect on the plot, making our heads spin and then explode…. Maybe not.

YoursTruly
    April 20th, 2011 10:06

No, I thought Rogers was a person on the Leviathan. Isn’t he the person who substitutes for Rigby when he gets hurt?

YoursTruly
    April 20th, 2011 10:07

And i wasn’t surprised to see Newkirk there. I always kinda thought he would play a bit of an unexpected role in the series! Well, I can only read and see!

jemmy1213
    April 20th, 2011 10:07

Oh… Well poop. But I don’t remember seeing him in either of the books… :(

CorpseVendor
    April 20th, 2011 10:08

I think the reason Deryn’s name is so big because Scott uses it more when the book switches to her point of view.

God the suspense… XI

Iana
    April 20th, 2011 10:11

i hope the spoiler removed word was “kissed” :C

Dudley
    April 20th, 2011 10:16

I don’t see the word ‘Japan’ so maybe in Goliath, it was a red herring and we aren’t actually going to Japan, but staying in Europe.

Ashleylr
    April 20th, 2011 10:20

Bah! The removed spoiler is driving me insane! But I love straining my eyes to read every word! So…

1. I love seeing “Miss” and “Malone.” And also seeing “face” next to “door” made me laugh really hard!
    2. I hate seeing “walker” and “Klopp” so small. And no “Tazza”!
    3. I am uber curious about “Roger” and “Hearst” <— isn't that a newspaper publisher?
    4. Where is "Goliath"?

I like thinking that "kissed" could be the removed word as Iana said. <3

I can't wait till September!!

Ziu
    April 20th, 2011 11:48

The spoiler word should have been an obvious one like “love” or something

Jink27
    April 20th, 2011 15:00

It made me uber excited to see that “Dylan” is really small… Especially if Alek were to use it throughout the whole book… ;) Volger and Dr.Barlow’s names are bigger! :D

Nicola
    April 20th, 2011 15:28

The removed word was totally Tally. You know it.

Kieya
    April 20th, 2011 16:15

I love the word count i love it soo much but i wanted to see the spoiler thing oh well…………………..

LOVE IT <3!!!!!!!!!!!

Inés
    April 20th, 2011 21:11

*_* Whoaaaa, I love this idea XD It’s rally interesting to look at it and wonder why is that in there~~
    And by the way, I LOVE the “spoiler removed” XDD I laughed at it helplessly, wondering what is in there too! *o*

Rouge
    April 20th, 2011 23:15

I’m somewhat glad that you removed the spoiler…BUT I ** POSSIBLE SPOILER POSSIBLE SPOLER** see the word “girl” and if that has shown up on the word cloud then that has to mean two things:
    1) you used girl quite enough
    2) not many females, let alone girls, are characters/appear in this series…unless you decided to do something totally different?

oh well, guess I won’t find out until the book comes out -sigh- but if I’m right…I am TOTALLY happy with my awesome perception :)

Rouge
    April 20th, 2011 23:30

also…I don’t think “kissed” is the word (though i sorta want it to be) but it’s REALLY BIG so…I don’t think so :/

RandomPieGirl
    April 20th, 2011 23:54

I love to make these! Eep!

I think the spoiler word is love, cuz the space looks like it would fit there…. Hmmmm….

This thing rules! :)

Jetteh-loves-you-Scott-la
    April 21st, 2011 01:48

AGGGHHHHHH!!!!! YOUT GOING YO MAKE MY HEAD EXPLODE WITH EXCITEMENT AND POSSIBILITIES!!!! HURRY UP AND MAKE THE BOOK COME OUT!!!! Meheheh. I’m eager to meet “Rogers” and see what roles Count Volger, Eddie, Dr. Barlow, and Newkirk’s roles will be. *fangirl squeal*

Brittany
    April 21st, 2011 01:50

If this spoiler word is “Kissing”, then they must do a lot of it, because that is a pretty big space.

Brittany
    April 21st, 2011 01:57

Or maybe that is jsut wishful thinking. :P

nanogirl101
    April 21st, 2011 02:50

Um guys? What if the removed word was something like “death” or “killed”? I guess its just a possibility, I’m not trying to be negative! Also, I like Nicola’s suggestion of it being “Tally”. That would be cool, but unlikely. One word that made me nervous was “officers”. In fact, you can take words from the cloud and form the sentence “Officers took Deryn away.” I pray that Deryn isn’t found out and arrested for being a girl! These are the main worries going through my head. (Not the Tally part of course.)

On the positive side, loris, Bovril, Volger, and Barlow are decent sized!

Edward V
    April 21st, 2011 02:57

The Spoiler word cannot be “Kiss” or “Love” because the space has a capital letter a shortish letter (unless the first is an ‘R’) a tall letter and one or two short letters (depending on the tall one).

I like the pairings “good loris”, “already sir Alek’s lady”, “think Newkirk”, “Deryn came first”, “Bovril saw enough”, and many more.

LevBeGol(d)
    April 21st, 2011 03:12

Man, this sure makes today, my birthday, pretty awesome. Just icing on the cake. Just going spend some time scrutinizing the words and call it a birthday present to myself.

Personally, I don’t think ‘kiss’ or ‘death’ is the spoiler removed, unless, of course, a lot of people die, kiss, think about dying, thinking about kissing, or thinking about kissing a certain somebody while dying.

I don’t know. That last one was kinda random . . .

Can’t wait for Friday!

Mackenzie
    April 21st, 2011 03:45

well these are he main words i see

MISS
    DEREYN’S
    HAND
    GIRL

Dereyn’s is a term tha would be used by SOMEONE ESLES POINT OF VIEW…and tee are only two views XD

The Joker-la
    April 21st, 2011 04:15

My guess is since Deryn’s name is so humongous then it’s probably not just her thinking it. And, it’s possably strategicly placed next to Alek’s. Hopefully.

Addie Ruth
    April 21st, 2011 04:33

I went back 14 hours just to see if I could find the real one to see the hiden word, but alas I did not find it.

Sarah B.
    April 21st, 2011 04:42

Will you post the un-edited version after the book comes out? I don’t want to be spoiled, but I must know the missing word!! =]

Kaitlin
    April 21st, 2011 04:43

jemmy1213 also notice that least is also within Alek’s name….
    Anyway, I like the word group Deryn’s message.

Carmen
    April 21st, 2011 05:12

OMG, guys did u guys see that the name “Dylan” that Deryn uses is SMALLER that BOVRIL… Like, does that mean it appears less often? If it does then I guess maybe Alek finds out Deryn is a girl pretty soon, like mid-way soon! OMG, I love this.

Kailey-wa
    April 21st, 2011 05:12

Spoiler might be….next place they travel to?

And I hate to break it to you Scott-la, but “just” is definitely there. :)

Emmiline
    April 21st, 2011 06:40

Did anyone else notice the little word ‘feet’, cause i’m kinda concerned. I’m also bummed out because i can’t find ‘Dummkopf’ anywhere, that was my favorite word in the last book, i even went through and wrote down all the pages someone says it- i am such a nerd.
    At least Bovril is fairly big. B)

Emily
    April 21st, 2011 09:15

The fact in itself that “Deryn” has been used an exceptional amount more than “Dylan” is very, very exciting.

Yes, I see ‘girl’ and I see ‘new’ and ‘york’. ‘Captain’ looks like it was used an incredible amount. Understandable, I suppose, but hopefully it being used that much means something special. (Deryn taking control of the Leviathan, anybody? Bah, wishful thinking.)

I’m glad to see Malone is there too, I liked him. :)

Kendra
    April 21st, 2011 09:19

To people like Emmiline and jemmy1213, Scott-la mentioned with the last cloud that Leviathan is a very action-y book so words like ‘hands’ and ‘feet’ will show up a lot when runny, climbing, sliding down from a huxley, or controlling a walker, for instance ;) ‘Walker’ is also there, which surprised me. Walker chase, anyone? :D
    Anyone else notice ‘first’ ‘came’ ‘aboard’ ‘Leviathan’s’ In Deryn’s name?
    ‘Miss’ and ‘girl’ made me squeel <3 Miss Sharp? 'Lady' could fit into 'Lady Boffin', though…
    ….I can't squeeze anything out of the blank word. Maybe it's the "Goliath" by a different name, the two-headed messenger, or some new name/ creation. But, it's not 'kiss' or 'dead'. They'd have to be kissing/ dropping like flies throughout the book to make it that big!
    'Never' and 'last' are too big D':

Kendra
    April 21st, 2011 09:22

I also agree with Sarah B!! Please, Scott-la, let us know what the censored word is after the book is released!

Robyn Vigny
    April 21st, 2011 10:04

If you compare it to the word cloud he made for Leviathan Alek and Deryn’s name are about the same size, same with her. Though there’s no doubt that Alek should figure out Deryn’s little secret.

Kate & Zena
    April 21st, 2011 10:20

Did anyone notice that if you turn your head sideways (or your computer/paper/etc), the cloud resembles Bovril sitting?

I wonder if there’s a reason for Alek and Deryn’s name being perpendicular to one another.

I think the spoiler word has to deal with the document that the late Pope wrote out saying that Aleksander is the rightful heir to the Austrian-Hungrian throne and the war.

Pauline M.
    April 21st, 2011 15:45

Hi Scott, really enjoying the Leviathan series. Just curious, was this series in any way inspired by the artwork in a book called ’50 fantasy vehicles to draw and paint’ by Keith Thompson? The reason I ask is because a number of illustrations in the book could’ve come straight out from your books! Especially check out pages 54, 74, and 124–spooky! Anyways, looking forward to part 3! Thanks, Pauline

Bea
    April 21st, 2011 16:22

I wonder if the hidden word is kiss…………… But I’m looking for little words and my mind is going crazy thinking of hidden meanings!

Lucy
    April 21st, 2011 17:16

That’s really cool! Unfortunately “just” is there, pretty large, in the bottom right hand corner…

Fox Scarlen
    April 21st, 2011 17:27

I see plenty of words, but the ones ‘New’ and ‘York’ and ‘Malone’ lead me to venture a guess to the spoiler word. (That, and a rumor I heard a while back.)

Could the spoiler word be ‘America’? After all, it would explain why it’s so big, as opposed to others. ‘Killed’, ‘kissed’, and ‘love’ don’t seem like they would be said all that much, but I’m sure the name of a place /would/ be said often.

Just going out on a limb here. ^^

alice
    April 21st, 2011 17:44

JESUS CHRIST!!!!! Kate & Zena are totally right!!It does look like Bovril!!!! That is some pretty nifty censoring Scott. For a second I thought it was part of the word cloud! Haha! I’m blind…. >.<

So I was debating this word cloud with my older sister, and she thinks that once Newkirk figures out Deryn's a woman he's gonna have a huge crush on her even if he is her sidekick, or emotionally scarred by the fact he was bested by a chic. I for one will be very disappointed if Jaspert isn't in this one.

Nicola
    April 21st, 2011 18:14

Usually the arrangement of words in a Wordle just depends on the design you pick, so I don’t think the perpendicularization (it’s a word) really means anything. Also, the old Leviathan word cloud had Deryn as a similar size, so I’m not sure if that means anything either.
    Other possible spoilered words…Darwin, Lenin (important later in WW1), Hitler (Godwin’s law), Trotsky…Charles (real ruler of Austria) or perhaps..Emperor? King?

Raibean
    April 21st, 2011 19:59

I don’t see why people are freaking out over Deryn’s name. It’s the same size as Alek’s, but hers is longer! Actually, I think Alek’s is a font size larger.

Anyone else notice “bridge”? Also “engine.” That could just be from running walkers, but I think they’re going to have more engine trouble. (I giggle when I see how big “Aye” is.)

“eyes” – lots of emotions; facial expressions
    “shoulder” – Mulan theory, anyone?

stkidd
    April 21st, 2011 20:36

has anyone thought that maybe the spoiler word is actually two words on top of one another or one perpendicular to another?? cause i’ve seen a lot of “no, no it CAN’T be love or kiss!” and stuff, but if there were two words i think it could work! :)

Khoela-chan
    April 21st, 2011 20:42

I noticed that in almost all of Scott’s books, he uses the word “maw” at least once. (Peeps and Last Days, Leviathan, at least two of the Midnighters books, and probably Uglies too but I haven’t read those in a while.) But I guess he uses it infrequently enough that it wouldn’t come up :D

Clare
    April 21st, 2011 20:57

The words “spoiler” and “removed” make me want to kill myself. :( The release date for this needs to be moved up because I am seriously loosing sleep over this.

Cely-wa
    April 22nd, 2011 01:04

Am I the only one who noticed that LILIT is not mentioned in the word cloud?

Nelly-wa
    April 22nd, 2011 01:31

I especially love the words “Tell” “Voice” “Lady” “Miss” (:
    I MUST KNOW THE SPOILER WORD!!!!

Nelly-wa
    April 22nd, 2011 01:31

For a second I though it said “Hearse” and I was like OMG! WTF!
    … but then I looked closer and noticed it says “Hearst” lol

The Joker-la
    April 22nd, 2011 02:27

Of course Alek finds out Deryn’s a girl; in fact, that’s probably what’s happening in the illustration Scott-la recently revealed, where they’re in that room with the bird thingie. Cuz think about it; Deryn knows pretty much everything about Alek, and Alek knows everything about her, except that she’s female, of course, and since it says under it “Secrets in the Rookery”, that must mean she’s telling! I guess. Something may have happened in the first chapter that’s sneaky.

Let’s keep hoping.

Brittany
    April 22nd, 2011 02:32

Errr, I really don’t like the idea of a Mulan-style reveal. It’s sort of cliché. No offense.

And in the Leviathan cloud, “Alek” is larger than “Deryn” since approximately half of the book uses her real name due to Alek thinking that she is Dylan. However this cloud has their names the same size, so it’s pretty safe to say that Alek will find out, and will start using her real name more. Hence, “Dylan” is small-ish.

Reuben D
    April 22nd, 2011 03:50

I was slightly amused to see that Bovril was marginally larger than Volger and Barlow.

Books Before Boys
    April 22nd, 2011 03:56

Funny. I was just thinking of the word cloud the other day…

quilla
    April 22nd, 2011 04:13

Maybe the missing word’s “Lilit” :)

Haley Rae
    April 22nd, 2011 04:15

Ahh, “just” seems to have appeared after all, Scott; it’s on the far right of the word cloud in orange-brown…turned, back, and just will forever be my weakness…

Haley Rae
    April 22nd, 2011 04:16

Oh, and “eyes”…I always have characters reading each other’s eyes…

Gladys O.
    April 22nd, 2011 05:19

Strain eyes to read…..

RandomPieGirl
    April 22nd, 2011 05:30

OMG! It does look like borvil! lol!

Ug, that spoiler removed word is killing me here! I. Must. Know.

Julia
    April 22nd, 2011 05:32

I love Nicola’s (comment 24) idea about the missing word being Tally <3

when i saw the word hand, the first thing that i remembered was the April's Fools picture, did anyone notice Deryn was holding a hand…?
    this also gives me a headache, too many ideas but there is only one that matters and no one will know until september. sigh.

Kate & Zena
    April 22nd, 2011 06:31

@alice and RandomPieGirl – I’M NOT INSANE! Jeez, I thought I was going mad thinking I was the only one seeing the cloud as Bovril. :)

Tatters
    April 22nd, 2011 06:36

In the U-Stream Scott did several months ago, he assured everyone that in whatever way, Alek would most definitely learn of Deryn’s true identity. So the real question isn’t, “Will Alek learn Deryn’s secret?” but, “How does Alek discover Deryn’s secret?”

ScathachWarrior
    April 22nd, 2011 07:03

This is a GREAT idea for when you’re finished with a book/short story/script.
    Oh, and I really don’t want to burst your bubble…But I will. I JUST will. I really JUST wi-okay, okay, JUST is in there, and pretty large, too.

nanogirl101
    April 22nd, 2011 07:25

@Tatters
    Oh thank goodness, I assumed I was the only one out there who devoured the details revealed from the U-Stream. I noticed that lots of people are praying that the truth will come out, when Scott already assured us that it would. Also, the question of how he finds out has been puzzling me like crazy.
    This cloud thing is so cool. I tried it on many of my own pieces and was ashamed to discover that I use the word “like” almost as much as I use my characters names, and Scott isn’t the only one who has an issue with “just”. This tool is fascinating!

Jessi
    April 22nd, 2011 07:27

Lots of ‘girl’ and lots of ‘miss’ pluse ‘Deryn’ is WAAAAAY bigger than ‘Dylan’!
    Eddie Malone is BACK!
    That spoilery spot is going to bug me FOREVER (or, you know, until i read the book… which is what seems like a FOREVER away!)

awesomegirl
    April 22nd, 2011 07:50

agggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhh NOT FAIR. I AM SOOOO MAD. but the words girl and lady tame my temper…….. a little but im still MAD.GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (angry beast noises continue til further notice)AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH I am going insain.

aiyana
    April 22nd, 2011 08:15

sooooo i just HAD to write a poem about my frustration so here it is. I cant believe the frustration I must stop the asphyxiation My brain will explode My mind implode Make it stop I might just POP!!!!!!

Ashleylr
    April 22nd, 2011 08:43

Anyone else notice that “Dr.” is bigger than “Barlow”? You would think those would be the same size, right? I mean, “Lady” and “boffin” are the same size…. It makes me wonder if we will be meeting another “Dr.”

I really hope that spoiler word will be revealed after Goliath is released. *hint hint nudge nudge* Yes, Scott? ;)

nycu_cg
    April 22nd, 2011 10:32

I can’t find the name “Goliath” itself in the cloud (please unseal my eyes if I’m mistaken), and “Leviathan/Leviathan’s” are pretty small, but if Goliath were the missing word, how would it be a spoiler? It would only indicate that it’s an actual ship instead of “just” a metaphor…
    Good job everyone on the comments – they are a nice addition to the cloud :-)

Claire (already a bit saddened by the thought that this will be THE END)

Heather
    April 22nd, 2011 15:01

Oh my goodness, I think I just read the synopsis.
    It’s… wow not what I was expecting…but really wow.

Erm, Scott was the synopsis supposed to be released yet? Because I’m guessing you don’t want to give to many spoilers away but this makes it pretty easy to guess the missing word.

Tatters
    April 22nd, 2011 16:08

link for the synopsis please!!!!!! *spasm*

Heather
    April 22nd, 2011 16:13

I would but I think Scott should be the one to announce it, just on the off chance we shouldn’t have read it yet.

There was a series that I like that once that released a synopsis a week ahead of the official one containing spoilers for the book so I just want to make sure this isn’t like that. Since I’d hate to be the one who ruins the book. D:

Tatters
    April 22nd, 2011 16:20

I’m sure Scott admires your consideration :) That makes a lot of sense!

Pauline M.
    April 22nd, 2011 18:23

Just realized the artwork in the Leviathan books are by Keith Thompson… go figure… Leviathan was released in 2009 and ’50 fantasy vehicles to draw and paint’ by Keith Thompson was released in 2007?? Hmmm… check out pages 54, 74, and 124… I do like me a good mystery… my guess is, Scott is a huge fan of Keith Thompson’s artwork.

Stephy-la
    April 22nd, 2011 19:08

Aaaaahhhhh deryns name is huge! Also did anyone notice how new and york are in there…at about the same size?
    Bovril is pretty big too. :)
    but so is head…what does this all mean?????

Cambelle
    April 23rd, 2011 02:47

@heather

um…yeah just saw the synopsis too.
    Way too much spoilery.

I hope that’s not the actual summary for the book cover.
    But its weird how they gave the synopsis and don’t even have a cover out yet.

aiyana
    April 23rd, 2011 07:33

@heather and cambile TELL ME YOU EVIL EVIL PEOPLE TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cambelle
    April 23rd, 2011 08:29

@aiyana

alas, my code of ethics will not let me ;)

aiyana
    April 23rd, 2011 11:18

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr YOU ARE DRIVING ME INSAIN SCOTT!!!!

aiyana
    April 23rd, 2011 11:21

RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!WHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Reuben D
    April 23rd, 2011 19:50

Maybe the missing word is DEAD.

o_O

I had a go at a Wordle with one of my fics and I use the words ‘looked’, ‘look’ and ‘smile’ A LOT.

bailey-wa
    April 23rd, 2011 20:19

awesomeness. love that the one word was taken out. can’t stand spoilers. I can see how this can help your writing, wether you are a beginner or like you who already rocks.

GLARE.
    April 23rd, 2011 20:20

Scott, it’s Saturday. Where’s the fanart?

Jessica
    April 23rd, 2011 22:02

Oh I remember that! I did that exactly when I was in eigth grade! My English Teacher made us put our Call of the Wild essays in that and then hang them up!

That thing is preatty cool, yeah?

aiyana
    April 23rd, 2011 22:16

It amuses me that bovril is bigger than Dr Barlow and Volger!!!!!!!!!!!

allison
    April 23rd, 2011 23:24

I don’t think the spoiler word is Kiss or Dead. I bet it’s either Lillit or Love. I would love to see a word cloud for Behemoth and all of your other books.
    Where’s the fanart? It’s saturday!

Anna
    April 24th, 2011 02:58

I like how Deryn’s name is the same size as Alek’s. Because people call Alek by his real name in both POV’s, meaning that Deryn will most likely be called Deryn in both POV’s. And possibly fairly soon in the book by the size of it. Not that it’s that big of a spoiler. I mean this is the last book so it would be a bit of a rip off if Deryn continues to stay a secret till the very end… Bovril seems to have a pretty big role if his name is larger than Volger’s, Barlow’s, and Dylan’s names! Anyway, I’m hating that blank space.

RandomPieGirl
    April 24th, 2011 03:26

Hate to break it to u Scott-la…. But it’s saturday…. Fanart?

I still can’t stop studying this! Everyday I find a new word! Uggg! Wat is the stinking spoiler!

Bookworm 1000
    April 24th, 2011 04:15

That’s actually really cool, it makes me happy. :P

Kate & Zena
    April 24th, 2011 07:09

@Cambelle The cover for Goliath is out (well, Scott Westerfeld showed the US cover anyway). You can see it here

The Joker-la
    April 24th, 2011 08:29

Why would you guys want to know what the censored word is? I wouldn’t mind a excerpt, but just a word takes all the style and substance away from the product. If the word is something like “died” or “marriage” or something, I’d like to know about it, but not without a whole story. That’s like taking a picture and cutting out one thing and saying you’ve seen the painting. Knowing it would ignite such worry and possibly online conflict, now wouldn’t it? I vote nay!

But an excerpt would be, as they say, “scrumtralessent”!

Nicola
    April 24th, 2011 08:57

I can’t see the censored word being an action, because then they’d be doing an awful lot of said action. No one kisses or dies that much. My money is on it being a title or name. Or something that’ll mean nothing to us unless we’ve read the book.

Kaitlin
    April 24th, 2011 09:50

@Cambelle Where’s the synopsis? Please?

Anna
    April 24th, 2011 13:19

I think I found the synopsis… It’s kind of spoilerly but not too bad. Kind of expected.

GLARE.
    April 24th, 2011 23:02

It’s Sunday. Where’s our barking fanart?!?! *rage*

TheWordMaster
    April 24th, 2011 23:54

Merry Easter y’all!

So, checkin out the word cloud while trying to trade Tropius for a Turtwig. It seems as though there really isn’t much too see here.

The spoiler word? BETRAYAL.
    Then again, it could be wedding, or death, or anything.

For whoever mentioned Hitalia, all I say to you is this: France.Looks.Better. But not as good as Howl (yet that’s a different story).

Scott-la, hope you let us peek inside your book a bit early. I know that Amazon sometimes does it for the first 50 pages of some books.

Also, just finished this excellent book series called BLOOD OF KINGS., which involved an heir, cross-dressing, and magical/romantic action. Sounds like Leviathan.

Now, off you go to behead your chocolate bunnies/peeps/whatever y’all eat!

-TheWordMaster

Fox Scarlen
    April 25th, 2011 00:10

Whoa, thank you so much TheWordMaster! I looked up Blood of Kings, and I have to admit, it just looks amazingly awesome. (This is perfect for me, as I’ve recently run out of books to read, and need to find some new ones!) Anyways, I think you’ve seriously just made my day. ^^ Just from a brief explanation of the book series, I’m already officially hooked. Can’t wait to get started on it!

Madi-La
    April 25th, 2011 00:25

i see Dylan is rather small indead, and yeah i realize wen theyre not in their chapter their name is barely used, and in her chapter she says Deryn….. just hopin that it mite have sumftin to do with the fact that they find out rather quickly :D

The Joker-la
    April 25th, 2011 08:07

Where’s our blistering fanart, ya bloody yank?!

Nicola
    April 25th, 2011 11:06

Hey guys, it’s Easter and ANZAC day down here. Give Scott a break.

alice
    April 25th, 2011 16:46

I had the worst nightmare yesterday. I dreamed that in the April Fools day reveal Lilit was angry at Deryn for fooling her and her actually being a woman. So she stabbed her and Deryn died before she could tell Alek she was a lady!!!!!!!! Made me sad…..

And the other day inmy Earth Science class we where doing some research on global warming and it effect on glaciers and junk, lets just call my friend John shall we? Heres our conversation and I quote,

John: Look at that picture of a iceberg! We should use that!

Alice: *pfffft* Its a glacier Newkirk

John: Who’s Newkirk!!!????

Alice: Nevermind…\

@ WordMaster a Turtwig for a Tropius??? Somebodies getting jipped

Aron
    April 25th, 2011 18:55

My guessing’s: a four maybe five letter word.
    Scott. you’re going to get sued for torturing all this people.

Denisa
    April 25th, 2011 20:12

When I first saw the word bank thing, I thought Spoiler Removed was a word xD

BTW I do see “Just”, it’s actually pretty big, It’s a bit smaller than “Bovril”.

In my opinion, Alek’s Name is a font size larger than Deryn’s.
    And I hope that after Goliath comes out, you’ll post a version without the “Spoiler removed”

alice
    April 25th, 2011 22:39

Scott I need something else to comment on…… Fan art would be nice…..

TheWordMaster
    April 25th, 2011 22:59

@Fox Scarlen- Glad I could be of help! I actually have the same problem (only for me, I finish books waaay too fast, and then have nothing left to read), but it seems as though some decent books are coming out this month.

@alice: You think that’s weird? Here’s how all my trades went down YESTERDAY ALONE:
    Tropius-> Torchic
    Torchic->Charmander
    Clefable->Wailord (I passed up Dialga for this one)
    Some skeletal-lizard-thing->Tropius

So I ended up with three good pokemon….and another tropius.

TheWordMaster
    April 25th, 2011 23:01

The third being my turtwig of course. :)

Julia
    April 25th, 2011 23:18

Gaahhh. Scott! You torture me so! @0@ *sighs* While I keep my hopes up for the spoiler to be something like Love or something like that, I’m sure it’s probably something we’d never understand until reading the book. Thank you for the word cloud though it gives me things to work from >.>

Oh yeah, and fan art? D<

One more thing, Scott; "Just." It's pretty big.

alice
    April 25th, 2011 23:23

@ TheWordMaster: Jesus…… I need to find my DS

RandomPieGirl
    April 26th, 2011 00:19

Omg, I think the word is lilit! It just looks like it can fit there. Sigh…

Fox Scarlen
    April 26th, 2011 02:06

@TheWordMaster: I used to read books way too fast, but now, school has been sort of bogging me down in that respect. (Did you know that you actually have to pay attention in high school, rather than just read through the entire class? xP) Yeah, there are definitely some good releases coming out around this time. I’m kinda disappointed, though, as my school library doesn’t have Blood of Kings. Darn. I’ll probably hit the public library this weekend in search of it. ;)

Also, why pass up a Dialga with a Wailord? Don’t get me wrong, Wailords are awesome, but unless you have Diamond version, why pass it up? (Which version are you playing?) As for the rest, good trades (well, three of them)! I love Charmander…^^

@all: I agree with Nicola somewhere up there in the comments-give Scott a break! After all, he could be working on a draft of Goliath, and may deem it slightly more important than our Fan Art Fridays. ;)

tridecagirl
    April 26th, 2011 04:35

Judging by the epically spoilery synopses I found, the missing word is…
    Tesla?

Nicola
    April 26th, 2011 04:40

Shhhhh.

Tatters
    April 26th, 2011 04:58

Tesla? I’m not sure if that would be the spoilery word because the fans would have no idea what to make of it if it hadn’t been censored!

James Smith
    April 26th, 2011 05:00

Does anyone else notice the word “Dylan” is missing completely?

Tatters
    April 26th, 2011 05:06

No it’s there, just smallish. It’s right under the spoiler.

Emma
    April 26th, 2011 05:50

Somebody else probably pointed this out already, but I love how inside “Deryn” is “came” & “first”. Deryn came first. :D And it’s true! amazing how that worked out, eh?

GLARE.
    April 26th, 2011 05:57

It’s late at night on a Monday. The fanart…>:( You’d better have a good excuse, like ‘you were playing Portal 2.’ C’mon, guys, let’s chant and bang our desks like bratty toddlers! FAN-ART, FAN-ART!

Fox Scarlen
    April 26th, 2011 06:35

Muaha, why do I get the feeling that Scott-la is going to post it /this/ Friday, and say ‘Ta-da! Here’s your Fan Art Friday! Now now, I didn’t specify /which/ Friday I was posting it on, did I?’…I honestly wouldn’t be too terribly surprised…^^; Ah well, don’t worry too much about it, Scott-la! We can wait…though in return, it must be a megasuperawesomelyepic blog post! Understood? ;P

Ashleylr
    April 26th, 2011 06:50

I think the spoiler word is Tesla, too. It gives you an idea of where the plot could be going.

The Joker-la
    April 26th, 2011 06:53

Yo, alice! You didn’t notice at the end of Behemoth after Lillit kisses Deryn she says, “I know you better than you think, MR. Sharp.”?! She KNOWS Deryn’s a girl! That’s what the emphasis on the “Mr.” means. Then she even turns to Alek and says “You don’t know what a friend you have in Dylan”! She’s a lesbian, dummkopf! That’s one of the many layers in the “love triangle” that’s going on throughout Behemoth. Shit, I wonder how many other people didn’t get that.

Michelle-wa
    April 26th, 2011 08:12

I am not good at finding clues but im guessing they go to New York

RandomPieGirl
    April 26th, 2011 15:35

@Fox scarlen- r u the same one on fanfiction who wrote today? Just wondering…

Hmmmm this mystery word is just puzzling…

alice
    April 26th, 2011 16:13

@ The Joker-la: Duh she’s a lesbian!!!!! or she figured it out when they where kissing….. I said I dream that. I have to admit my subconscious is strange when it comes to these kinds of things.

@ Fox Scarlen: Yes I have to agree with the fact Wailord is very awesome, but my personal favorite is Magikarp… even if it is useless..

alice
    April 26th, 2011 16:18

btw TheWordMaster: Thanks for saying something about that Blood of Kings book, three pages in and I’m already addicted

TheWordMaster
    April 26th, 2011 23:20

Have just discovered PuppyCam. :)

@Fox: My teachers don’t care if I read in class, just as long as I get the work done (and I have an excuse for Pre-AP Bio: we all have to read Leviathan). I happen to have Pokemon Black (my very first pokemon game, believe it or not. I chose Snivy.), aaaand I traded my tropius for a Zorua yesterday, so my method has to be working…somewhat. I passed up the Dialga because…well, what kind of person would give away a lvl.100 Dialga?! There must be a catch….

@alice: There’s just something about Wailord’s expression that I love. My favorite though has to be Lucario (he eats chocolate!), but Milotic is pretty nice too.

I’m glad you’re liking Blood of Kings so far. It’s kind of like a mix between the Seven Realms series and Leviathan, which I like. Just enough magic…just enough romance…a little bit of deeper meaning…it’s like all good points in a novel rolled into one series.

Milkshake308
    April 27th, 2011 01:10

I just read the spoilery synopsises (is that how you pluralize it? w/e) and can not stop fangirling over it. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, I think the word must be Tesla.

And yes, I want my fan-art/fan-fic. Meh, who knows, maybe he got a lot of submissions and is still sorting through them.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raibean
    April 27th, 2011 01:32

Has anyone noticed that the ship name for Deryn/Alek is Dalek? How can a Whovian like myself not resist?

Aileen
    April 27th, 2011 01:54

I thought you would like to see this video, it’s pretty awesome and makes me wish there really were a moviee D:

there’s some other good ones, but this one was my favorite :D

Aileen
    April 27th, 2011 02:14

P.s Seeing as how Bovril’s name is bigger than Volger’s and Barrlow’s I’m going to assume that it is Bovril who spills the beans about Deryn being a girl, somehow! haha :D

That would be awesome and very funny in my opinion. =D

Reuben D
    April 27th, 2011 02:42

Scott – you have to include this in a Fanart Friday – it’s epic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyEiMye9sOA

@Raibean I keep calling them Dalek too! I couldn’t resist.

Tobu
    April 27th, 2011 02:44

Hmm. But “Dalek” is mostly “Alek”. :/ What about “Derek?” XP

Also – is everything all right, Scott? I’m fairly new to this blog, so I dunno if it’s business as usual to miss a post by more than a few days or if we ought to be worried, but here’s hoping you’re fine and just busy with more important stuff than catering to a bunch of impatient fans. <3

Fox Scarlen
    April 27th, 2011 03:42

@ Random Pie Girl: Haha, yeah, I’m one and the same, the amateur writer of Today. ^^ (‘Course, there aren’t too many other Fox Scarlens out there, are there? xP)

@ alice: Magikarp? Haha, goodness, well, I understand Gyrados being awesome, but Magikarp? It may look cool, but, as you said, it really is useless…No offense, though! I really don’t dislike any Pokemon (except a few, but, you know, who doesn’t?) and I can’t say I’m too sure as to what I would say my favorite is. I like so many!

@ TheWordMaster: Your teachers let you read in class? A couple of mine do, but I’ve learned it really is better to take notes…or zone out. ^^; As for Pokemon, I’ve got Black too! (It rocks.) Snivy’s cool, a good starter there. (Though I really wouldn’t know- I’m the proud owner of a Samurott.) And now I understand why you passed up the Dialga…likely, that person had Action Replay, and just leveled up that way, rather than through training. Still…they might have /desperately/ wanted that Clefable. xP Nice job on the Tropius for Zorua!

Also-your Biology class is making you read Leviathan? (Where do you go to school so I may transfer?! xP) That’s awesome! Though, uh…why read Leviathan? I understand, you know, the Darwinist stuff, but really, I’m not sure the book qualifies as a completely educational book on biology. (I honestly found it more helpful towards World History!)

If Blood of Kings is like a cross between Leviathan and the Seven Realms series, what’s the Seven Realms series about? (Well, medieval, magic, I’m guessing that, but, you know, more detail-y stuff. ;D) I’m excited because I got my school library to order Blood of Kings! (It helps being on great terms with the librarian. ;P)

@Raibean: Haha, I guess it really is (almost) officially Dalek, isn’t it? It’s a good name, though, and catchy. ^^

Fox Scarlen
    April 27th, 2011 03:42

…O_o

Whoa. Long post. Reeeaaallly long post.

…I’m sorry. ^^;

nanogirl101
    April 27th, 2011 03:45

Guys, I’m doubtful about the legitimacy of the synopsis (which, by the way, took ages of Google-searching to track down.) It just seems suspicious because they don’t call Deryn by her real name, they always call her Dylan in it. In the ones for the two previous books, they always called her by her real name. Now is it just me, or does this seem a little strange? Am I the only one who noticed this? I mean, it would be good if it was real, because Goliath sounds like the best one yet judging from this. But it left me wondering if it was the actual summary of the book. Also, it seemed a bit too revealing, which leads to further suspicion. I sure hope I’m wrong.

Julia456
    April 27th, 2011 04:56

@nanogirl101 – The site that the synopsis originally appeared on is pretty gosh-darn reputable. I don’t know where you found yours, however.

alice
    April 27th, 2011 22:44

@TheWordMaster & Fox Scarlen: I do love them Seven Realm novels. I have Black version as well! White always seemed to be the more popular choice…….. I am also have a Snivy, though its expression reminds me of a very stuck up sort of person but I just found that fire type weird.

TheWordMaster
    April 27th, 2011 23:50

@ alice: (I’ll start with you since I can see your post w/o scrolling up)
    I thought the same thing about Snivy. Then it evolved into Serperior…luv it to death. It makes me want to cuddle a huggable plush version….ahhh…

@Fox: Yeah, my teachers are pretty cool when it comes to reading (and sadly, I cannot disclose my school for fear that some creep may track me down and steal away my excellent novel ideas. :) ). My Bio teacher has made us read The Hunger Games (yay!), Life as We Knew It (meh.), My Sister’s Keeper (ugh!), and now Leviathan (W00t!), whcih is odd, but gives me n excuse to bring a book to class.

The Seven Realms novels are a series (there are 2 out right now) of fantasy books by Cinda Williams Chima. Basically, it’s about a land filled with wizards who coexist with the Queen and her people after a horrible war, but the wizards are plotting their revenge to take over the land. It also has some nice romances (although it get kinda blush-inducing at times, but nothing too bad occurs), and does a nice job of not keeping things predictable. Not as good as, say, Leviathan or The Mysterious Benedict Society (no book is better than TMBS. No.Book.At.All.), but a decent series.

RandomPieGirl
    April 28th, 2011 00:11

@ Fox Scarlen- Ah, I thought it was u! Yeah, I was thinking that too… Btw, I’m the unknown reviewer, pony! Yay!

I tried lookin 4 dis on wordke, bit I didn’t find it….

April:D
    April 28th, 2011 06:33

hmmmmmmm i wonder what that big censored spot is????

Cassidy
    April 30th, 2011 22:49

OMG I found the spoilery synopsis, it was surprisingly easy…): now I feel bad, was it pirated or something? but still…no japan…hmmm…

Cassidy
    April 30th, 2011 22:50

Oh, and people were talking about how Scott Westerfeld said something about “bursting into flame”…now I know what he’s talking about!!!! argh

The Joker-la
    May 2nd, 2011 07:55

Dereck, yes, that works, doesn’t it?

Reuben D
    May 15th, 2011 06:30

Why mix just their first names? Why not go all out with this portmanteau?

Sherdinand? Ferdisharp?

AeroRace
    May 16th, 2011 07:25

I see girl! That makes me so hopefull, as do many other words. I want the spoiler word to be “Love,” but that’s just my hopeless romantic side of me wants.
    I’m so excited!

A'belle
    May 18th, 2011 03:14

It makes me sad that ‘beneath’ is there and so is ‘never’. But Deryn is massive and I know that she calls herself deryn but other people call her Dylan so if Deryn’s big then its a good sign!

Pikol
    May 20th, 2011 08:31

Ideas on spoiler: Kiss (hussah!!!), inauguration (for Alek, duh), manta ray (although it’s on Goliath’s cover), girlfriend/boyfriend, love, peace, death, etc. etc. etc.

myst47
    May 27th, 2011 03:36

@pikol: Hmmm… Good ideas. KISS. Hehe… XD Well, maybe. WHO KNOWS!!!!

Only Scott. And Keith. :D

Baxton G
    June 4th, 2011 06:55

The real question is what will Alek’s reaction when he finds out Deryn is a girl(>_<)

amo
    June 12th, 2011 21:05

What about the word Tesla in the place of the censor?

The Fledgling Handbook 101-A House of Night Guide Book For third formers
    June 19th, 2011 19:53

Can I say that I hate you?

Gail
    July 15th, 2011 19:20

I see “miss” and “girl” and “voice” in there… hee hee. Can’t wait!

aynonomus
    August 29th, 2011 02:46

I have never even read these books:(

Andromeda
    September 4th, 2011 08:27

THE SPOILER WORD IS TESLA, isn’t it?
    I honestly don’t think it’s anything like ‘kiss’ or ‘love’ since Leviathan is a war book, the romance aspect is just a slight garnishing on top….
    anyway, can NOT wait.
    Westerfeld, you tease.

unknown
    September 22nd, 2011 03:25

I love that “Aye” is huge. It makes me think that pirates invaded…

Gail
    November 10th, 2011 06:14

For the record, I think the spoilery word is “Tesla.” Nice job trying to hide the plot from us, though. :)

how to generate free electricity
    November 18th, 2011 05:08

Thanks for any other informative website. Where else may just I am getting that kind of information written in such a perfect method? I’ve a mission that I’m simply now operating on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such info.